"U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm

An unfortunate part of this greed and not caring is that it impacts people that it normally wouldn't..instead of people picking up pieces they want and need for their collections they are picking up pieces here and there with the intent of saving it from people like this guy, U graders are forcing people to spend money on toys just to save them instead of buying what they want to.

This might be the extreme case but it is happening!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:21 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
An unfortunate part of this greed and not caring is that it impacts people that it normally wouldn't..instead of people picking up pieces they want and need for their collections they are picking up pieces here and there with the intent of saving it from people like this guy, U graders are forcing people to spend money on toys just to save them instead of buying what they want to.

This might be the extreme case but it is happening!

I agree Joe. It wasn't even well known until a few months ago that DT Lukes were even available in heat sealed baggies. I have possibly found another heat sealed baggie type that I stumbled upon, but do not even what to share it with the possibility of this happening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:25 pm

I wish people would stop selling to people like him (at least on the forums) but money talks and if you need the $$ any sale isa good sale, even if you are delivering the items into the hands of this dude.

I wonder if its worth bumping up the RS thread to stir up some reactions to the latest grotesque U graded figure Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Paradox is about to be bumped.. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:31 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
I wish people would stop selling to people like him (at least on the forums) but money talks and if you need the $$ any sale isa good sale, even if you are delivering the items into the hands of this dude.

I wonder if its worth bumping up the RS thread to stir up some reactions to the latest grotesque U graded figure Sad

Especially in this case. Where the baggie is heat sealed it could have been graded like that with no problems. He could have still made a decent amount that way as it isn't the more common sw-a tape sealed baggie. Instead he turned a rare baggie into another loose DT Luke, but oh yeah it has a U label.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:40 pm

I agree man, you know the reply is going to be :

"The baggy was damaged or dirty or stained and it would have pulled a low grade"

Why does that matter ? Sad Its such a shame, dirty , worn or puked out by a dog its still what it is, its not about having things in pristine condition, some of the rarest things out there do NOT exist in pristine condition, so to remove them from their packaging to improve your $$ return is just not right.

I would rather have a fucked up baggy than this thing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 pm

@Joe_O wrote:

Do it Joe!! Dare you Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 pm

The dare worked. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:14 pm

I was thinking about it all day to be honest, since it was posted here by Shawn and Andy. I expect a frosty reaction from the supporters or him but there we go, no news there.

My AFA debating was supposed to be over and I know everyone can't be arsed with it over and over again, but if a few posts make a few more sellers wake up and not sell to him, so be it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Money talks, knowledge walks. As long as they are willing to pay top dollar for an item, the sellers are going to keep on selling to them no matter what anyone says. But it still sickens me to see key items like the DT get chopped up like that and then brag that there are no more known examples out there is worse than rubbing salt in the wounds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:53 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the AFA and these aggressive U Grade sellers / dealers like Rulair have some sort of mutual arrangement. Look at the grades the DT MOC's got when they were chopped into U90 AND U95's!! Now this uber rare baggie gets sliced and it hits a U90 :scratch:

Smells like shit either way Angry SW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Oh my, this beggers belief.
That WAS a very rare baggie, now its just an overpriced loose DT that suprise suprise happened to get a 90 grade

I can't be bothered with this anymore tbh, AFA/Rulair have no respect for this hobby end of. Its just money money money head bang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Just seen this post... (Thanks for the tip-off Shawn!)

Man I have had a tough week in work, the car is dead and first thing I wanted to do when I came home after 12 hours of work each day was crack open a few tins of Heineken and sleep like the dead. So I have totally missed out on the TIG forum this week especially on such an important thread like this.

However, I have now though gone from feeling totally bushwhacked to feeling physically sick and its 100% it my own fault that I am. I could say nothing here, but I think it’s the right thing for me to do so and will mark a change in my attitude henceforth. I hope I don't lose any of the new friends I made on the TIG because of this honesty.

I too, I am ashamed to say, have a small collection of U90 figures. I have been ashamed of them for some time but have no idea on what to do with them. I feel that selling them on will only do more damage to the hobby by encouraging more people to get hooked into a destructive area of collecting.

Why on earth did I collect them in the first place I can hear you say?

Honestly; I don't know! A massive lack of education I guess and pure ignorance of the destructive nature of this type of collecting. This first forum I have ever joined so I’m only starting to see other collector’s opinions and wisdom. I can surely say though if TIG was around when I started this focus then I wouldn't have got involved.

I started by getting the U90 POTF figures. I never had the POTF line when I was a kid so my thinking was if I collected 1 of each POTF figure as a U grade then it would be like my second chance of being the original owner of some nice figures. At the time I wanted the best and the U90 grades were relatively cheap and I started picking them off quite easily. I also started picking up the bounty hunters since no one was getting them either. At the time I foolishly believed that AFA only “U” graded a carded figure that was so damaged it would be better for the figure to be encased loose, e.g. cut cards, black bubble etc. In a warped way I had no guilty conscience whatsoever in what I was doing. I haven’t bought a U90 since last September; I think the only reason why I stopped at the time was because of the massive surge in prices that came from nowhere. I had no idea that “star wars collectors” and the AFA for that matter would sacrifice such beautiful cards just to get a U90 grade.
I started to realise what I had done was really bad when I started my Luke Jedi character focus. Many important carded variations of this figure’s evolution may now be lost forever because dealers have sent so many to their grave. I have found it particularly difficult to track down certain variations which I can recall being everywhere only a few years back.
If this is what is happing to Luke, which in general was a pretty well realised figure, then I can only imagine what happing to the earlier SW/ESB figures where the paint and quality was a little hit and miss. There might be 50 perfectly good carded specimens destroyed just to find one that will reach 90.

And for that I feel sick and I am truly sorry.

Joe: that’s one more soul saved, TIG: another excellent reason why this FORUM exists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:18 pm

You and me both Craig!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:24 pm

That was a well written response Craig! Smile

It's not that anyone is trying to tell you how to collect or what to collect. And I'm glad that you were able to see through that to the real point of the argument. So Kudos for that! Smile

I think the U grade as a whole is just unworthy. And the argument about them being from a cut card, etc. really doesn't hold water with me either. Afterall, some cut cards were there for a reason as well.

I'm glad that the education helped at least one person (and looking at Coach's response, it looks like two people). It's sad to think that so many figures have been removed from their cards just to get the U grade. And I think what's saddest of all, is the prices some of these are getting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Craig - I can honestly say that was one of the most refreshing posts to read in a long long time, especially on this subject.

I admire your honesty and its great to hear that a thread like this or a few posts from people that are against this trend is enough to change someones collecting habits for the better!

Really I am quite chuffed !

The last time this blew up there was 1 or 2 people that contacted me and said they were no longer supporting this grading
style and I was over the moon, since then its had its ups and downs so every few months I guess its good to bring it out for
discussion!

Good to see people realise that the emotions and posts in these threads are not just guff or wanting to fight with someone over the way they collect, its something we really do feel is detrimental to the hobby and are only trying to get people to understand that as best we can, no-one is going to call you out and attack you on something that doesn't impact others, its all about caring for the hobby at the end of the day, there are very few things that you could collect in this hobby that would make people turn against you (even Jar Jar Chris Wink )

Lets have a beer !
drinking2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Craig, I must commend you for laying it all out on the table like that.

I wonder how many other collectors are out there, like you were, haven't ever joined in an online community. It has to make you wonder if it would help open their eyes to what is really happening behind the U grade. It seems like these threads just go on and on without any type of resolve, but in seeing both yours and Coach's response, it makes me glad that it has helped at least two collectors. Ever since finding that DT luke the other day, I've been thinking of doing a write up on my site about U grades. I've met two great collectors via my site (one of them you) that I would have never met any other way. It is at least one other medium besides a message board that I can reach out and maybe give them something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:23 pm

@shawn_k wrote:
Craig, I must commend you for laying it all out on the table like that.

I wonder how many other collectors are out there, like you were, haven't ever joined in an online community. It has to make you wonder if it would help open their eyes to what is really happening behind the U grade. It seems like these threads just go on and on without any type of resolve, but in seeing both yours and Coach's response, it makes me glad that it has helped at least two collectors. Ever since finding that DT luke the other day, I've been thinking of doing a write up on my site about U grades. I've met two great collectors via my site (one of them you) that I would have never met any other way. It is at least one other medium besides a message board that I can reach out and maybe give them something to think about.

Hey you know that really is a great idea, a write up and dedicated page to show off such pieces like this latest DT , you could even have a before and after picture, if you can find them pictured before!

I would be all for it and definitely push it in conversations like this, it would make for some interesting reading.

If you want any help just let me know Shawn!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:51 am

@Craig T wrote:
Just seen this post... (Thanks for the tip-off Shawn!)

Man I have had a tough week in work, the car is dead and first thing I wanted to do when I came home after 12 hours of work each day was crack open a few tins of Heineken and sleep like the dead. So I have totally missed out on the TIG forum this week especially on such an important thread like this.

However, I have now though gone from feeling totally bushwhacked to feeling physically sick and its 100% it my own fault that I am. I could say nothing here, but I think it’s the right thing for me to do so and will mark a change in my attitude henceforth. I hope I don't lose any of the new friends I made on the TIG because of this honesty.

I too, I am ashamed to say, have a small collection of U90 figures. I have been ashamed of them for some time but have no idea on what to do with them. I feel that selling them on will only do more damage to the hobby by encouraging more people to get hooked into a destructive area of collecting.

Why on earth did I collect them in the first place I can hear you say?

Honestly; I don't know! A massive lack of education I guess and pure ignorance of the destructive nature of this type of collecting. This first forum I have ever joined so I’m only starting to see other collector’s opinions and wisdom. I can surely say though if TIG was around when I started this focus then I wouldn't have got involved.

I started by getting the U90 POTF figures. I never had the POTF line when I was a kid so my thinking was if I collected 1 of each POTF figure as a U grade then it would be like my second chance of being the original owner of some nice figures. At the time I wanted the best and the U90 grades were relatively cheap and I started picking them off quite easily. I also started picking up the bounty hunters since no one was getting them either. At the time I foolishly believed that AFA only “U” graded a carded figure that was so damaged it would be better for the figure to be encased loose, e.g. cut cards, black bubble etc. In a warped way I had no guilty conscience whatsoever in what I was doing. I haven’t bought a U90 since last September; I think the only reason why I stopped at the time was because of the massive surge in prices that came from nowhere. I had no idea that “star wars collectors” and the AFA for that matter would sacrifice such beautiful cards just to get a U90 grade.
I started to realise what I had done was really bad when I started my Luke Jedi character focus. Many important carded variations of this figure’s evolution may now be lost forever because dealers have sent so many to their grave. I have found it particularly difficult to track down certain variations which I can recall being everywhere only a few years back.
If this is what is happing to Luke, which in general was a pretty well realised figure, then I can only imagine what happing to the earlier SW/ESB figures where the paint and quality was a little hit and miss. There might be 50 perfectly good carded specimens destroyed just to find one that will reach 90.

And for that I feel sick and I am truly sorry.

Joe: that’s one more soul saved, TIG: another excellent reason why this FORUM exists.

I felt like i was on a journey ready that!

I have had people PM me like Joe has saying they will stop contributing to the U Grade problem but to come out and post honestly like that Craig takes balls so respect buddy!

Its really good to see that trying to educate people regarding the destructive nature of U Grading is worth doing and shows that we can win over hearts and minds.

I sure that the type of honest you have shown Craig has only ensured you have gained more friends not lost any Smile and its really makes me feel proud to know that the TIG forum played a part in changing your mindset.

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 pm

Just plucked up the courage to read the feedback on the post I left (A double Jameson in Hand).

Thank you all.

SK: If you want to upload my post to your great site or would want me write something there is no problem.

Regards

Craigy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darksith
New User
New User
darksith

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm new to this forum but not new to "The Imperial Gunnery".
I Love this site! I reference a lot of my vintage stuff on here if it's available.

I'm not much of a MOC collector at the moment but might collect a handful in the future when I've got some extra money.
I believe there are only certain conditions that is acceptable to remove an action figure from it's blister.....the only time I believe it's "ok" to remove an action figure from it's original card is when it's been cut out of the card back and it's still in the bubble.
As well as if the card is so far destroyed no one wants to buy/keep it in there collection.

I collect loose complete action figures at the moment.
I have around +/- 56 action figures right now and I can say that Near mint to Mint loose action figures are still out there.
You've just got to be patient and look around!

I'm a pretty picky collector! All of mine so far have very very good paint, joints are tight and as far as I can tell all accessories are vintage.

To sum it up.......I WILL NEVER BUY A U-GRADE ACTION FIGURE!!!

Have a good one and thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 pm

I will never buy a U grade item, therefore die U grade die!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Glad to see our newer members will never buy U graded figures! Very Happy

Unfortunately there are still people who will, & pay silly prices to boot. Rolling Eyes

I saw one listing where a loose U graded figure was also described as 'never touched by human hand'. Well...how the hell did the figure get made? let alone find its way from the blister into an AFA case? Ingorant twats! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: "U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???   Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Just finished reading the entire thread. Interesting discussion.

My vote is against.

I see lots of them for sale, but the reason that I never buy them is
1) I simply just can't afford them..........
2) I still like to have a loose piece in my hands, just like when I was a kid! (ok I know how that sounded) Embarassed

It is a shame to destroy perfectly good pieces, just for the almighty dollar.

Clint
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darksith
New User
New User
darksith

PostSubject: U-grade   Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Yeah...it's pretty bad.

I typed in "Star Wars Vintage U" for my search on eBay...

I counted over 120+ U graded action figures and quit counting....there still were more than 5 or 6 pages to go!
Disgusting!

Who doesn't like the action figures in there original packaging if you grew up seeing these on the store shelves?
Was better than candy when I was a kid!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

"U" Grading... Love it, or hate it???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4