The Imperial Gunnery Forum

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | .

What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:31 pm

I was actually surprised how warm your summers can be up there!  lol!

It's cool that you like your bugs Clint. I have a few myself.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Steve, The most southern part of Ontario, is actually at the same parallel as northern California.  But with the Great Lakes all around us, the weather changes every 5 min's. Very Happy

Growing up on a farm, you get to appreciate the bugs. What a Face 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Excuse my ignorance Clint, but to be honest, the main areas of Canada I have some knowledge of are Saskatchewan (as one of my Geology lecturers did a lot of field mapping there) and Alberta. I would love to visit Canada one day though, in order to explore the wilderness, wildlife & geology.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:18 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
Excuse my ignorance Clint, but to be honest, the main areas of Canada I have some knowledge of are Saskatchewan (as one of my Geology lecturers did a lot of field mapping there) and Alberta. I would love to visit Canada one day in order to explore the wilderness, wildlife & geology.  Very Happy 

Aaaahhh, Western Canada.   The flatness of the prairies to the foothills of the mountains. Very Happy 

Ontario is a mixture of farmland, forests, cities (Toronto is now the 4 largest city in North America, behind only Mexico City, New York and LA), great fresh water beaches, etc....  Just a 2 or 3 hours drive north into cottage country, you can start to see the Canadian Shield rock formations sticking out.  The weather in the summer is a mixed bag.  This week in was barely above 20˚C, cool and wet, but today it made it back up to 27˚C, sunny and humid (like Florida humid).  Hopefully it will hit 30˚C before the end of the weekend. cheers   And everyone already knows about our winters.  I'm just glad we don't live in Winnipeg. lol!   It regularly hits -40˚C for a few weeks in the winter in Winnipeg (I think they had over 21 days of -40˚C this year).  Here it only is -10 most of the time in the winter, with stretches of colder (we had a couple of weeks at -35˚C) or warmer weather.
It's probably a lot like England and Europe.  My father-in law is original from Germany and he said the landscape is similar, just a bit warmer. Very Happy   We hosted one of my wife's relatives from Germany last summer and it was hard to describe how big Canada is.  She wanted to see everything.  Toronto, Niagara Falls, sights on the East Coast and the West Coast.  So I over laid a map of Germany on a map of Ontario.  The entire country of Germany fits into the southern portion of the province of Ontario. She then had to revise the sights she wanted to see. Very Happy  We actually are just a 45 min. drive west of the airport in Toronto and 1 1/2 hr drive down to Niagara Falls.

As an Architectural Designer, I would love to see Europe some time.  Especially all the Architecture, castles, churches, etc....  Hopefully in the next couple of years, we will visit. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Thank you for the info Clint. Your descriptions help to bring home just how vast Canada is.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Steve, you are most welcome. When you decided to visit, hopefully you will be close by, and will be able to stop by for a visit and a beer. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:14 am

Never been in Canada, just saw the country from far above while flying from Europe to California.

Your descriptions and pics made me curious to go there, Clint. And to meet Terence and Philip off course.  Very Happy 

Paul: Great shots with the praying manta. I remember being very impressed when I saw one in the wild for the first time. On a camping site, also in Soutern France. Tried to find a picture, but couldn't find it so fast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://TantiveXI.com
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:23 am

Clint, if you come to Europe I'm sure there are a few of us you can call in on for beers and grub including me down south cheers  In terms of castles and churches you will be blown away by some of the architecture.

My only knowledge of Canada was following a stay with friends in Seattle, we then travelled north, crossed the border and spent a few days in Vancouver BC. The only wildlife I witnessed was in the downtown bars which I found most agreeable  drinking cheers 

I was left with a very good impression and only wish we could've stayed longer and explored further. But as you say, Canada is big, and there's only so much you can do/see in just a few days.

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:24 am

Commander Clint wrote:
Steve, you are most welcome.  When you decided to visit, hopefully you will be close by, and will be able to stop by for a visit and a beer. Very Happy 

That would be great Clint.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:17 pm

very cool pic of the Mantis James, Artoo_Detour when were you in Vancouver I am just across from there in Victoria Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:06 pm

"Growing up on a farm, you get to appreciate the bugs. What a Face "

This comment made me think of an past comedy clip. Years since I've seen it, and found it just as funny today as back then.

Here's a British take on a small part of the US.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:22 pm

You can't beat a bit of Vic & Bob Andrew.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:24 pm

Nice one James!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:58 pm

ourchickenshack wrote:
Found this little fella on some of my Naked Lady Lily's ...

Great picture there James, never seen one myself in the wild mate, but a stunning insect  cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Nico wrote:
ourchickenshack wrote:
Found this little fella on some of my Naked Lady Lily's ...

Great picture there James, never seen one myself in the wild mate, but a stunning insect  cheers

Looking at this pic makes me want to watch "The Deadly Mantis". It's a cool old sci-fi film from 1957.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 am

Glad you guys liked the Mantis pictures - they are probably my favorite insects  cheers 

They aren't real common in my area either but I usually see at least 1 or 2 every summer  Very Happy 

Here's a real beauty that I found feeding today :

It's a Anise Swallowtail Butterfly  Very Happy 

I see lots of smaller butterflies in my garden but this was the first time I have ever seen one this fancy and large (besides Monarch Butterflies) at my house . I would estimate that its wing span was at least 4" to 5" cyclops  .

I got a little too excited when I saw it and ran in the house to get my camera - I forgot that my camera has the great zoom feature and immediately tried to get too close and take pics  Embarassed  Needless to say , I scared it off and was only able to get a few pics ... if I would have remembered the zoom I am sure I could have got a lot more pics  What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 am

Very nice James. That swallowtail looks really elegant & exotic compared to what I see in my garden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:42 am

That Swallowtail Butterfly is a real beauty James and seems to be enjoying that Phlox. Buddleja is another flowering shrub that butterflies absolutely love, in fact it is nicknamed a butterfly bush, its usaully flowering this time of year also, so if you plant one of these in your garden, you could end up with a lot more beautiful butterflies  Smile 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:45 am

chris.75 wrote:
That Swallowtail Butterfly is a real beauty James and seems to be enjoying that Phlox. Buddleja is another flowering shrub that butterflies absolutely love, in fact it is nicknamed a butterfly bush, its usually flowering this time of year also, so if you plant one of these in your garden, you could end up with a lot more beautiful butterflies  Smile 

Thanks Steve and Chris  cheers 

I can always count on my Fonzie to know his flowers  :clap: 

I will check my local nursery to see if I can find a Butterfly Bush  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:51 am

ourchickenshack wrote:
see if I can find a Butterfly Bush  Very Happy 

Somehow my mind went else where with the phrase butterfly bush. lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:30 pm

lol! 

good one Clint  cheers 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:53 pm

James, excellent "butterfly bushes" :clap: 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Yup Clint great minds think alike as soon as I see butterfly bush my mind to the express elevator to the gutter lol.

And Chris is our definite flower expert here He accually won first place for his flower lay out in his home town I can't remember what the completion was called and that was 6 years in a row if I remember right. I was very happy when I heard that he works hard at what he does.

Lets see what has made my week well for making me laugh you guys and your warped sense of humor I love this place and you all Smile

what made me truly feel good this week is the new meds that doc gave me for cronic pain seem to be working I was able to take my dog out for a good walk and can go through a day without being in a super amount of pain, Oh and I also met my new 27 year old neighbour with a killer body and big boobs I will have to introduce Tiggy to them..I mean her lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?   Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:54 am

This is something that made me feel really good and happy to see. I was on my lunch and stopped of at McDonalds. A female member of our Armed Forces came in the same time as me, we were talking in the line about how she was just posted here from the east coast and that I was once in the Infantry, when all of a sudden this little old lady waked up and told her to get what ever she wanted she was buying, both of us were shocked She thanked her as did I for being so generous. As a former soldier myself that is something we are not use to, we are more use to people insulting us and treating us like dirt. We both talked while waiting to get to the till about how people treat military members. She told me even some of her family won't talk to her because she joined the Armed Forces, The lady who bought her lunch was shocked when she heard what we were talking about, like how I was called a baby killer and spit on while in uniform. Even now when someone finds out I am a former soldier and they come up and thank me for serving it shocks me not something I am not use to.

Anyway sorry to go off on a bit of a long winded post but to see that really made me feel good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What made you laugh, smile or feel good today/this week ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next