Share | .

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Capes Problems Episode III

WTF were Glasslite's cape makers on?, I still haven't found two examples the same size!!!!

Glasslite: Vader Cape Comparison

Glasslite: Vader Cape Comparison

Example 1 - 105mm x 85mm
Example 2 - 107mm x 87mm

Glasslite: Leia Cape Comparison

Example 1 - 81mm x 51mm
Example 2 - 82mm x 52mm
Example 3 - 84mm x 52mm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

loving the progress here!

Cant help on the capes, but thinking of it Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey Stef,

Not Glasslite, but I have seen in some cases that this is also seen on Asian Leia Bespin capes.

You mostly see a 1mm deviation in any direction (or both) and 2mm are not uncommon by a long shot. 3mm to 5mm are also possible that I have seen.

In my mind for these deviations I think there are three factors to consider:

1) the material used might have a different stretching/elasticity characteristic that when the die cutter cuts into the material, a different amount of snap back/shrinkage can occur from batch to batch.

2) another consideration is the sharpness of the die cutter.
In theory, when new you could yield smaller sizes and after time, wear and re-sharpening, the capes could get larger over time as well.

3) This one is a "I don't know, maybe?" thought..... Since we do not know how the material is placed into the cutter, another possibility might exist.
If the die cutter only cuts three parts, the two sides and the rounded top, then the bottom could be the edge of the sheet/roll being cut.
If that is a possibility, then alignment and skewing could cause irregular heights.
This point is just a thought I had when thinking about cost savings. If you have a pre-cut straight edge, why cut off some of the material since it would just be wasted money so they might order the exact height they want (e.g. 90mm) and just trim three sides. Knowing manufacturer's tolerances can vary in terms of pass and fail, you could have sheets or rolls that you receive anywhere from 88mm to 92mm).
Just something else to consider.

So not sure exactly, but that's what I have chalked up the Leia Cape's subtle difference to at least.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://leia.bespin.info/
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 pm

...not sure but could it be these were cut "hot" so that edges get smooth?? Maybe the capes then were exposed to shrinkage....

As Jay said...it is well known that Kenner capes also do have different sizes...same capes of course. But i have to say GL seems to be extreme!

edit:

OR.....they were cutted in staples! If you think of many layers and have ever tried to cut staples of "softer" materials you will see that those all have different sizes....they slip, move and get pressed very differently! I think I prefer that solution.

Seriously though. If cutted in staples with kind of a shrapned form this will come out: the layer to the bottom will be the "smallest"...the layer on top the "biggest"

Last edited by wbobafett on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 pm

@wbobafett wrote:
But i have to say GL seems to be extreme!
Children with scissors?  Rolling Eyes tongue 

Sorry!!!! Not trying to offend anyone!

cheers!
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm

@wbobafett wrote:
OR.....they were cutted in staples! If you think of many layers and have ever tried to cut staples of "softer" materials you will see that those all have different sizes....they slip, move and get pressed very differently! I think I prefer that solution.

Seriously though. If cutted in staples with kind of a shrapned form this will come out: the layer to the bottom will be the "smallest"...the layer on top the "biggest"

hrrmmmm

Interesting thought! I wonder how many they would do at once then? 5? 10? More?

Man, I wish a video existed like the Palitoy factory one with a glimpse of the cape production (actually a video every step of production for many different figures and accessories).

Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 pm

...if I see the differneces on glassite I would say in hundreds!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm

@walkie wrote:
Javi,

Let me explain as it appears things are getting lost in translation.

@javiswspain wrote:
Nice Picts Stef, IMHO looks very similar  to the original color of the "second" variant of the GL Chewie rifle i own my self
do you think is Kenner??

Not at all, the bottom rifle is labelled "Kenner" the top rifle remains un-named.

@javiswspain wrote:
@walkie wrote:

I was going to include flashing as a difference as all three examples have this, however so does Javi's Kenner Sad

i don't gets the point….

My "Silvery" rifle has a lot of flashing on the rifles muzzle, Kenneths rifle has some flashing and so does yours. So all 3 "silvery" rifles have flashing on the muzzle.

I thought this may have been a way of identifying them as well as their colour, but when I saw your Kenner photo which also have flashing, therefore this is not unique.

I checked my Kenner rifles and all 4 other examples did not have flashing on the muzzle.

:bump: PS my gun will shortly be sent to Lee, so he can compare it to his.
thanks for explaining it to me Stef, i got it now Smile
Nice thread btw, i am learning a lot here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:13 pm

@Javi, thanks and don't worry the V2 glasslite chewie rifle is been worked on on the background, and should be added to the guide soon. Wink

@Wolff & Jay...This site has some great videos....

http://www.gct-online.co.uk/die-cutting/die-cutting-explained.asp

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:03 am

...I just remembered a very old thread on RS were someone had a "double" Leia cape. He noticed it can be peeled into two capes. If I rember right the pattern was on the outside and both smoothe sides sticked together...

So the were defintley cutted in staples the question is how many were cutted at once??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:54 am

Alternative GL Rifle Episode II

Previous posts for reference....

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6330p75-glasslite-guide-discussion-thread#117486

Comparison photos of mine & Lee's Alternative GL Rifle (TBC). I've asked Lee to send me his example so that I can take a side-by-side photo of both V2's?, a V1 sinker and a Kenner. More research is required I think as although the molds match the colour doesn't. Maybe a side-by-side photo of all 4 will help in the same light??  study 

Chewbacca Rifle: Comparison Alternative GL

Chewbacca Rifle: Comparison Alternative GL

Lee-m wrote:
These are the best pictures i can get just now. Mine is at the bottom and is not as black as yours.
It is more silvery (much more noticeable hand in hand together) I don't mind sending you mine for you to compare for your guide.

Mine has similar flashing to yours around the tip of the barrel area.

I bought all my GL figures in one go off of the same Brazilian seller a few years ago now.

@Lee_m wrote:
...Forgot to say....mine is a floater ;-)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:15 am

Finally we had some good weather here in the UK so I seized the opportunity to update the Chewbacca entry and added the second Glasslite Rifle variant.

Chewbacca: Glasslite Rifle v1c Variant (x2)

Thanks to Lee_m, Kenneth-B & javiswspain for help with this update.  :clap: 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Glasslite X-Wing Fighter Vehicle   Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 am

:bump:  Bumping this excellent thread (and will sticky it)

Glasslite only produced three vehicles for the 3 3/4 action figure line. Here are my pics and description for the Glasslite X-Wing Fighter vehicle (Caca Estelar Asa-X). The only photo missing is a pic of the white insert.

Glasslite. POTF. O Poder Da Forcer. Caca Estelar Asa-X. 1988.

Packaging

The packaging for the Glasslite Power Of The Force X-Wing depicts a Dagobah background scene along with movie photo stills of Luke, R2-D2 and C-3PO. The 'Glasslite' and 'TV Toys' logos feature prominently. The box is made from two pieces, one piece fitting over the over (unlike the Kenner versions that have flaps). A white cardboard insert protects the toy. The set, new, would contain the vehicle; x4 laser cannons; a decal sheet; and an instruction sheet.

The vehicle

The Glasslite X-Wing vehicle is a truly wonderful variation compared to its Kenner and European counterparts. With its light grey / silver moulded colour and alternative decals, this X-Wing really stands out from the crowd.

The vehicle is sound motorized but lacks the wiring for light. The red nose light is in fact a "dummy" light that simply sits in the nose recess of the vehicle. Another unique feature of this cool ship is the addition of a "thumb lever" on the lid of the battery compartment. The cockpit canopy has a dark tint to it, though not as dark as some of the european non-electronic versions.

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed May 07, 2014 8:56 am

Excellent  cheers 

linked added to the front page of the guide

Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Glasslite - O PODER DA FORÇA - Nave Interceptdora (1988)

Packaging

The Glasslite packaging depicts a totally unique scene featuring a Tie-Fighter and several other spacecraft flying over the surface of an orange planet. The top right corner of the box includes movie stills of Darth Vader and a Star Destroyer. The 'Glasslite' and 'TV Toys' logos both feature prominently. The box is made from two pieces, a full colour printed lid and a base made from corrugated cardboard. Inside the base are several corrugated cardboard inserts to protect the toy. This set contains a Tie-fighter cockpit; x2 wings; a decal sheet; and an instruction leaflet.

The vehicle

Sculpt wise identical to it's Kenner and European counterparts as Glasslite appear to have used the same tooling. However it's unique light grey/silver body, dark grey wings and alternative decals, help make the Glasslite Tie-Fighter vehicle a truly wonderful variation for collectors.

The vehicle is sound motorized but lacks the wiring for the light. The red cockpit light is in fact a "dummy" light that simply sits in the lower recess of the cockpit. Another unique feature of Glasslite Tie-Fighters is that the wings completely lack any decals, most likely a cost saving idea by Glasslite who instead molded them in a darker shade of grey/silver.

Trivia

- Glasslite mixed up the names of the Tie Interceptor & Imperial Tie Fighter vehicles!

- The included decal sheet is common to both sets as neither Tie-Fighter's feature wing decals.

Acknowledgement: All photos were kindly provided by Lars aka 'Pomse2001'

Last edited by walkie on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Glasslite - O PODER DA FORÇA - Nave Imperial (1988)

Packaging

The Glasslite packaging depicts a scene featuring a Tie-Interceptor and an orange planet not to dissimilar to the Glasslite Imperial Tie-Fighter. This time however the top right corner of the box only includes one movie still, that of Darth Vader. The 'Glasslite' and 'TV Toys' logos both feature prominently. The box is made from two pieces, a full colour printed lid and a base made from corrugated cardboard. The box would have included several inserts made from corrugated cardboard to protect the toy, these unfortunately are missing. This set when new would have contained a Tie-Interceptor cockpit; x2 wings; a decal sheet; and an instruction leaflet.

The vehicle

Sculpt wise identical to it's Kenner and European counterparts as Glasslite appear to have used the same tooling. However it's unique light grey/silver body, dark grey wings and alternative decals, help make the Glasslite Tie-Fighter vehicle a truly wonderful variation for collectors.

The vehicle is sound motorized but lacks the wiring for the light. The red cockpit light is in fact a "dummy" light that simply sits in the lower recess of the cockpit. Another unique feature of both Glasslite Tie-Fighters is that the wings completely lack any decals, most likely a cost saving idea by Glasslite who instead molded them in a darker shade of grey/silver.

Trivia

- Although not produced by Glasslite the box depicts a stormtrooper action figure sitting inside a Glasslite produced vehicle.

- The original box artwork features a Death Star which is sadly obscured by the photo still of Darth Vader, for more info Click Here!

Acknowledgement: All photos were kindly provided by Lars aka 'Pomse2001'

Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 am

Darth Vader entry completed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:34 am

Great work Stef, as always! :clap:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://TantiveXI.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:47 pm

Princess Leia

COO images used with the permission of wbobafett. His coo guide can be found here http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/

NOTES:
The Glasslite Princess Leia belongs to COO families #I and #III, what I hear you say?? I won't even try to explain it but somehow the tools either got mixed up and damaged, who knows?!?! Both families contains two main COO marking variations and can be easily identified by the large or small "C" in the copyright symbol.

Both original mold tools were stamped "HONG KONG" which is where the production for the earliest version of this figure took place. During the products life and possibly as part of a cost reduction exercise production was moved. There the country of origin "HONG KONG" was filled in, leaving a scar where the "HONG KONG" stamps once where.

Then somehow a non-matching set of mold tools were shipped to Brazil and used by Glasslite, therefore the scarred COO is common to both the Kenner & Glasslite.

I do not own both Glasslite and Kenner variants from the same COO family so the comparison below uses a COO family #I Kenner figure and a COO family #III Glasslite figure.

Princess Leia: Glasslite on the right

EXTRAS:

Glasslite: Mould flashing on the neck stump

Glasslite: Belt paint work variations

Poor QA also resulted in minor differences between batches.

- Differences in paint applications.
- Mould flash, please read below.

Another trait of the Glasslite figure is that there appears to be a manufacturing flaw and excess flashing was left on the neck stump. This results in the Glasslite head typically sitting at an angle instead of facing forward.

DIFFERENCES:
Compared to his Kenner counterpart, the Glasslite Princess Leia has:

- Moulded in harder plastic
- A scarred COO (2 destinct versions)
- Pale face, neck and hands
- Black hair
- Black eyes and eyebrows
- Manufacturing flaw so heads are typically angled
- Hand painted hands and belt
- Black belt with hand painted large white circle detail
- Packaged with a silver Jawa blaster and a unique cape

ACCESSORIES:
The Glasslite Princess came with a v5 silver Jawa blaster compared to the blue rebel blaster which came with the Kenner figure. Note that the v5 Jawa blaster mould is identical to the solid black version which came with the Han Solo action figure.

Princess Leia Blaster: Comparision

Princess Leia Blaster: Comparision

EXTRAS:
Comparision photos showing the Glasslite silver and solid black v5 Jawa blasters.

Glasslite: Jawa Blaster Comparision

Glasslite: Jawa Blaster Comparision

WATER TEST:
- Both Blasters float when placed in water
- Neither Blaster will sink if tapped

Glasslite: Jawa Blaster Water Test

CAPE:
The Glasslite Princess Leia came with a unique cape.

Princess Leia: Glasslite Cape on the right

EXTRAS:
Comparision photos showing three Glasslite capes overlaid on to each other.

Glasslite: Cape Comparison

Compared to the Kenner cape, the Glasslite cape has:

- Unique cut, shorter in length with 'crescent' shaped cuts on the sides
- Smooth matt outside finish, Kenner has a cross-hatch pattern and zips when you run your finger nail across it
- Highly susceptible to staining
- Batch variations in the 'cut' of the cape

Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:36 pm

I wonder whats in store for 2015?  scratch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:35 am

I finally have a complete glasslite loose run although my leia is far from complete. missing everything but the figure
anyways I thought maybe I could show my newest that completed the line for me
Chewbacca complete
han solo complete although there is a bit of black on his gun hand

r2 with a bit of wear on his sticker

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
spaceone
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:09 am

great guide!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daniel_andrade
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:12 pm

Wow, amazing how much attention to detail you guys have!

Would you guys take a look at my figures? Even after reading this topic and looking at the images, I couldn't find this different C-3PO that I have...

imgur.com/a/N4pmj

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, I'm 35, and I have those since I was a kid.

Last edited by daniel_andrade on Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:05 am

Daniel, the glasslite droids figures were included in the droids guide to show them with their Kenner counterparts. It can be found here.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5881-droids-guide-discussion-thread#

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
variantfett
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD    Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:56 pm

@walkie wrote:

One from the family album. Poor Han didn't listen to Uncle Wolff.  Sad 

I am the proud owner of this exact figure, I've had him a few years. Does anyone know his value?

I cant even remember what I paid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GLASSLITE GUIDE & DISCUSSION THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next