Share | .

THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Introduction

Japan produced and distributed a wide range of Star Wars toys and merchandise throughout the vintage era. The three license holders responsible for the action figure lines were Takara (Star Wars), Popy (ESB), and Tsukuda (ROTJ). In addition to these there were numerous other license holders responsible for merchandise ranging from novelty toys, food and drinks items, stationery, records, ceramics, to many other items... often weird and wonderful, with action-packed features, and unique to what the companies in the west were producing at the same time.  

Contents

Takara
POPY
Tsukuda
Other Japanese Star Wars
Japanese Star Wars Bootlegs

How You Can Help

Please post up lots of pictures of your Japanese Star Wars items! I'll repost your pictures into the relevant sections and credit the photos to you. Please add dates/coo/licenses/manufacturer/any special details.

Many thanks, hope you enjoy this thread for all things Japanese Star Wars cheers 

Credits
Compiled by ArtooDetour
Graphics by Thargoil
Special thanks to Josh T for resources/info.
Photo thanks ... Artoo_Detour, Centurion13, Dr Dengar, Gorneesh, Hyver, Javiswspain, Josh_T, M4K3R1, Mark Yeo, Psybertech, Section 8, Walkie, WBobafett, Yeah_Sus.

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 am; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Takara Star Wars   Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:58 pm

• The Takara Co. Ltd was formed in 1955

• Licensed to produce and distribute merchandise from the first Star Wars film

• Other Takara toy hits included Diaclone, Battle Beasts, Combat Joe (the Japanese version of Action Man/G.I.Joe), and Microman (later rebranded as Transformers for the western market in the 1980s)

• Takara Star Wars toys often came with cool action features, such as the transforming X-Wing Fighter, Missile Firing R2-D2s and C-3PO, a wind-up walking R2-D2, and many other interesting and quirky items!

• The ST logo seen on Takara packaging belongs to the company responsible for checking safety standards of the toy

• In the 1980s, Takara received criticism for its original logo mascot - a design based on a golliwog-like doll Takara had previously made called Dakko-Chan (ダッコちゃん) meaning embraceable / hugging baby. Takara eventually replaced this logo with a new, fantastical character called 21st Century Colorful Dakko-Chan or Dakko-Chan 21.

Original Takara Dakko-Chan logo mascot
Sources: Digital Journal / Takara Wiki

Contents

Action Figures (MOC)
Action Figures (Display Bin)
Action Figures (Loose Variations)
Badges
Games
R2-D2 Slide Viewer Figure
R2-D2 Wind-up (Loose Variations)
R2-D2 Wind-up (Store Display Box)
R2-D2 Wind-up (MOC)
X-Wing Fighter (transforming)
X-Wing Fighter (Zetca die cast)

Action Figures.

Action Figures (First 12 MOC). 1977.

Takara released the first wave of action figures in Japan on regular Kenner cards. A small rectangular sticker written in the Japanese language was applied to the front.
The pictures below show each of the first wave characters on their cards along with some variations like an alternative sculpt Stormtrooper and C-3PO, and a Darth Vader with a white background to the bubble.
Although advertised as first wave figures, Death Squad Commander and Jawa were not released on the Takara cards. C-3PO, Stormtrooper and Darth Vader are notable for having different moulds to their Kenner counterparts.

Action Figures (First 12 Display Bin). 1977.

These pictures show various angles of the type of display bin used to hold the figures when originally sold in stores.

Action Figures (loose variations)

(for some great Takara/Kenner figure comparison pics see page two of this thread)

Badges / Pins

X-Wing Fighter Copper Pin. MOC. 1977.
Takara produced three copper pins available as small moc: X-Wing Fighter; C-3PO; R2-D2.

GAMES

Star Wars. School Punch Game. 1977.

R2-D2 (Slide Viewer)

Diecast R2-D2 Slide Viewer with missile firing launcher. MIB. 1978.

This cool die cast R2-D2 came with an inner slide viewer which showed original images from the Star Wars film. In addition to this a back panel revealed a rocket launcher that fired missiles!

R2-D2 (Wind-up - loose variations)

Wind Up R2-D2 Loose Variations

R2-D2 (Wind-up - MOC)

Kenner Canada Made in Japan Wind-Up R2-D2. MOC. 1978.
This is the made in Japan MOC version that was distributed throughout Canada with French/English bilingual language on the packaging.

R2-D2 (Wind-up - Store Display Box)

Wind-Up R2-D2 Store Display Box - complete with 36 MISP. 1977.

The wind-up R2-D2 (according to legend rumoured to be George Lucas' favourite Star Wars toy) was known in Japan as "Noko-Noko". As well as being distributed inside baggies in Japan, it was also distributed in Canada as a MOC.

X-Wing Fighter (transforming)

Transforming X-Wing Fighter. MIB. 1979.

Although almost the same scale as the regular Kenner X-Wing Fighter, this is not a genuine 3 3/4 scale figure vehicle as it came with its own unarticulated mini Luke X-Wing Pilot and R2-D2 figures. This cool X-Wing could transform into many different guises and came with rocket-firing missiles.

X-Wing Fighter (die cast Zetca)

Zetca Die Cast Space Alloy X-Wing Fighter. MOC. 1978.

Takara produced five Zetca mini die cast vehicles/characters available as moc: X-Wing Fighter; TIE Fighter; Landspeeder; C-3PO; R2-D2.

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Popy Star Wars   Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:00 pm

POPY

• Popy was a division of the Bandai toy company

• Popy was known for its late 1970s "Chogokin" series (rebranded "Shogun" for western markets), and, later, "Machine Robo" (rebranded as "Gobots")

• Popy produced 15 figures for the ESB line

• The 3 3/34 figures were presented in attractive cardboard boxes not much bigger than the actual figures. Also included were two catalogues. The figures were sealed in baggies

Special thanks to Javi (javiswspain) for the following Popy photos:

S1 Boba Fett

S2 Darth Vader

S3 R2-D2

S4 C-3PO

S5 Luke Bespin

S6 Han Hoth

S7 Chewbacca

S8 Luke Farm Boy

S9 Han Original

S10 Snowtrooper

S11 Death Star Droid

S12 Rebel Soldier

S13 Luke X-Wing Pilot

S14 R5D4

S15 Stormtrooper

Catalogues - thanks to Jay (Psybertech) for the pics.

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 24 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Tsukuda Star Wars   Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:01 pm

TSUKUDA

• The Tsukuda Group was made of three separate groups: Tsukuda Original, Tsukuda Ideal, and Tsukuda Hobby

• The majority of its products were games rather than toys, notably Othello. Tsukuda was also the official distributor of Rubik's Cube

• Tsukuda Hobby was responsible for producing the ROTJ line of action figures in Japan

• At first glance their 3 3/4 figures on moc appear no different than their Kenner counterparts. But take a look at the back of the card and you will see attached a large Japanese language printed sticker allowing for distribution to the Japanese market

• Tsukuda also produced a wide range of metal, plastic and resin model kits that covered both the ESB and ROTJ films

TSUKUDA. ROTJ Action Figures. MOC.

Squid Head

Logray

General Madine

Klaatu

Biker Scout

TSUKUDA. MODEL KITS.

Star Destroyer. Part of a 1980 series of six metal models.

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:23 am; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Other Japanese Star Wars   Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 pm

OTHER JAPANESE STAR WARS

This section will highlight some of the other merchandising produced and distributed in Japan.

Contents

Chirashi
Magazines
Music
Stationery
Ralph McQuarrie Portfolio

CHIRASHI

Star Wars. 1977. Theatre Release version 1

Star Wars. 1977. Theatre Release version 2

Star Wars. 1982. Japanese dubbed re-release.

TESB. 1980. Theatre Release version 1

TESB. 1980. Theatre Release version 2

ROTJ. 1982. Teaser.

ROTJ. 1983. Theatre Release.

ESB / ROTJ 1986. Double-feature Theatre Release.

MAGAZINES

Screen Magazine. September 1983. Featuring ROTJ article and free stickers.

Screen Magazine. November 1983. Featuring ROTJ articles and TV listings insert.

MUSIC

Original Soundtrack 12" album with yellow Obi and Japanese language booklet. 1977. Polydor.

Volume 1 and 2, double 12" album with individual covers. 1981. 20th Century Fox.

Maynard Ferguson 12" album with Obi. New Vintage. 1977. CBS.

Ron Carter 12" album. Empire Jazz. 1980. RSO.

Original Soundtrack 12" album with Obi and poster. Japanese.

Lapti Nek Overture 7" single. 1977.

David Matthews Theme from Star Wars 7" single.

STATIONERY

Stationery Lap Pack with Notepad and Envelopes. 1977. Yukari.

Sticker Sheets. Tokyo Queen.

Mini Notebooks. Tokyo Queen.

Erasers. Assorted. 1977. Makura.

Eraser. Dekakeshi larger size Keshi C-3P0 eraser. Released by the Marukoshi company circa 1977 - 1980.
See page 2 of this thread for more details.

Ralph McQuarrie Portfolio

Selected pics from The Star Wars Portfolio by Ralph McQuarrie. 1978. Bandai.

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:16 am; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Japanese Star Wars Bootlegs   Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:49 am

Japanese Star Wars Bootlegs

This section will cover Japanese Bootlegs.

Star Warrior X-Space Fighter. Motorized model kit made by the Crown company, 1980s.

Horse Racing Game

Game of Chance Card Sheet

Erasers Set

Stick Bang Toy

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:04 am

Hey everyone, here is a reference thread I've been working on to cover vintage era Japanese Star Wars products!

It's still early days but already included are some excellent Japanese Star Wars items!

Hope you like cheers 

Please feel free to add your pics of Japanese Star Wars collectables! Would love to see what you have and be able to add them to the index pages.

Big thanks to Fred (Thargoil) for making the graphics, and Josh (Josh_T) for resources and info.

cheers

Paul

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:42 am

Excellent idea Paul! I will certainly follow this thread with interest.
I don't currently own any Japanese items, but I can see myself being inspired to get some. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:00 am

Makura erasers...WOW:..never saw those!!

Great effort here! I love it! Looking forward to the next entries! Keep up the good work Paul! Very Happy

Wolff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:06 am

BTW: For Popy I would ask Javi (JaviSWSpain)...he once had a huge set as far as I remember.

edit: He had a full set (and surely has saved the pics?)
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5917-fsmint-near-mint-japan-popy-complet-set-of-15-figures

edit2:
Martijn als had a full set once I believe?? Had the pics on his webpage...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks Steve and Wolff cheers  and thanks too Wolff for the Popy infos Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:19 am

Great Job Paul!
Wolff was Right , i have an huge amount of picts of the complet set,they are ready for the use in this thread .
Thanks
Javi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 am

Thanks, Javi, and for the nice PM too cheers 

Thanks to Oscar who just sent me pics for Tsukuda Logray just added.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:57 pm

here is my tsukuda klaatu unpunched

wasnt sure i should post here but im sure a moderator can put it in the right Place =)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Paul, you already have ALL the picts (on the mail )of the complete set of POPYS i had.Please confirm me if you got them Wink
Great Japan guide you have done ;)A BIG CONGRATS !!!

Thanks
JAvi

Last edited by javiswspain on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks, Krille, that's cool. I'll get that added to the Tsukuda section  cheers 

Thanks also to Mike (Gorneesh) for Tsukuda Madine pics, and Oscar for some more Japanese records Cool

@Javi, thanks so much mate, I just checked and yes the pics have landed. That's a big help, cheers Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:36 pm

I am really looking forward to see those picts added to the guide Smile
cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:38 pm

Would you like photos of my loose Takara stormie, R2 and C-3PO?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 pm

@walkie wrote:
Would you like photos of my loose Takara stormie, R2 and C-3PO?
I have not too much spare time to make picts of mines , so will be great if you can make them of yours, dude Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Artoo_Detour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 pm

@javiswspain wrote:
I am really looking forward to see those picts added to the guide Smile
cheers 
just added the Vader pics cheers 

@Stef, cheers mate, be glad to have some pics.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:28 am

.....or you take mine:

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 am

Although Wolff beat me too it whilst i was Sleep , here's some quick comparison photos....

Takara Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper: Takara on the right

Takara C-3PO

C-3PO: Takara on the right

Takara Wind-Up R2-D2

R2-D2: Takara on the right

Back to top Go down
View user profile
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 am

A different COO Takara Windup R2-D2

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://leia.bespin.info/
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:44 am

Quote :
different COO Takara Windup R2-D2
And also a different head molding, note the thick rim on mine study 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD    Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 am

@walkie wrote:
Quote :
different COO Takara Windup R2-D2
And also a different head molding, note the thick rim on mine study 
Definitely. The whole figure is different... my body has "TAKARA" molded into the plastic on the bottom/rear as well.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://leia.bespin.info/

THE JAPANESE VINTAGE STAR WARS COLLECTING THREAD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next