View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Fly Navy Airshow    Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:47 am

Hi folks.

I'm not certain if there are any other aviation enthusiasts here on T.I.G.... so I hope you guys don't mind me sharing some photo's I took at the "Fly Navy" event held, last weekend, at Old Warden Aerodrome which is home of the world famous Shuttleworth Collection:  

Thanks for looking
T'shot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:06 am

Very cool to see these still flying. My grandparents took me to a museum once with a ton of old planes but of course they are just stationary. And old cars too, this looks like a really neat event. Thanks for sharing.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TeekSolo
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:07 pm

Wow that's a huge hit of nostalgia for me. I think I made most of these as Airfix models at some point or another. I especially remember the Gloucester Gladiator as that was a beautiful kit which turned out so well and the Bearcat as I used some really dodgy blue gloss to paint it and it never fully dried. Beautiful pictures of wonderful machines thank you for sharing these. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:08 pm

That was some trip! Thanks for sharing. The air photos are exceptional, but also good to see some 4 wheel vehicles.
I think I spotted a Willys Jeep, Model T Ford and Morris Minor Traveller cheers  - always like those with their wooden panels.

Each year we have the Patrouille de France (sort of like the French version of the Red Arrows if you like) making display flyovers near where I live.
Here are a couple of pics I took last year from my terrace about 8KM away from their path.
The camera is a Fujifilm with decent zoom. Point and shoot and hope for the best  cheers

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks guys glad you like them Very Happy

Great Pictures there Artoo, your way of taking pictures sounds exactly like my own Very Happy, yep Shuttleworth also houses a fine collection of old cars (& Farm machinery) too.

Seeing classic aircraft (& military vehicles) in museums is good, but you can't beat seeing & hearing (even smelling) them in action!
To me there seems to be loads of parallels between Star Wars & military, especially naval, aviation.

Hi TeekSolo, a lot dealers who specialize in vintage model kits regularly attend these events so you can re-create your childhood modelling exploits, just as I have over the past few years... I love building those old Matchbox 2 Colour kits:

Nothing fancy, I simply enjoy building them "out of the box" using the methods & tools I would used back in the day.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Seeing Artoo's photo's reminded of seeing The Red Arrows a couple of years ago at a Duxford airshow..

That was a great day out, they had re-enactors dressed up in period flying gear walking along the flight line:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm

wow, some true classics on display!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:47 pm

Very awesome I have been a lover of anything that flies as far back as I can remember. There are lots of beautiful birds there. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shanester
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:28 pm

I love the old single seat fighters of the late 30s to late 40s. I vacation most years near where the Blue Angels practice and I often see (and hear) them zipping around the skies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:01 am

shanester wrote:
I love the old single seat fighters of the late 30s to late 40s.  I vacation most years near where the Blue Angels practice and I often see (and hear) them zipping around the skies.

Very cool Smile. I use to live right on the landing approach to CFB Shearwater a Canadian airforce base I would just sit on the patio and watch jets and helos come in all the time from all over the world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:35 am

Thanks folks.

I'm very lucky to live within a couple of hours drive of many historic WWII airfields and museums.
Earlier in the month I had a day out to East Kirkby.

East Kirkby's a family run museum with a fascinating history, the guys who started it all lost their older brother (a member of Bomber Command) during the war and wanted to create a memorial to him & all of those served during the conflict as well as to educate future generations.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

Just Jane's their star exhibit who earns her keep (partly) by giving taxi rides to members of the public & occasional television/film work.. she's guest stared in a Doctor Who Christmas special.

Jane's not flight worthy (the owners are working on it) but she is able to move under her own power and regularly performs taxi runs on the museums grass runway... now, one must remember..being able to taxi may not sound impressive but you must realise that they're only two flight worthy Lancaster bombers left in the entire world & Jane is the only other Lanc' that can still move under it's own power

The B.O.B.M.F. provided a couple of classics to entertain the crowd:

Sadly the weather was overcast, hence, these aren't the most stunning of pictures to do justice to their superb display:

The event theme was Lanc', Tank & Military Vehicles, so they're the usual re-enactors & displays dotted around the airfield:

Another main event was not one but two M-36 Jackson tank destroyers, both of which demonstrated their impressive fire power:

Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shanester
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:38 am

Great pictures. I really appreciate you sharing them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:41 am

These are awesome. I love the pin-up girl "Just Jane" cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:10 am

Those pictures are awesome. You got the muzzle flash on the tanks, the props on the planes look like they aren't even moving with little blur. Your camera must take a lot of frames per second to get such focused details. Really neat to see all these old war time machines still surviving.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:07 pm

darthmatt22 wrote:
I love the pin-up girl "Just Jane" cyclops

Sally B's a girl to look out for

She stared in The Memphis Belle so also carries the Belles' pin up art too:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 am

Hi folks,
Of course it wouldn't of been right to go to an airshow without buying a vintage model kit as a little momento:

Stretching my skills, this time, with a 3 Colour Kit  Wink

Cheers.
T'shot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:05 pm

Cool model. Thanks for sharing. A bit off subject but plane related. My father worked for ltv which later became vought aircraft for 35 years prior to retirement. He was the quality control manager then plant manager. Towards the end of his career. Anyway my son has one of the plastic jet models which was made to show the military different paint specs that could be ordered. I long ago broke all of the ones he gave me, but I wish I had kept one plane that he brought home. It was about four feet long with a large wing span and made of metal. It was a mock up for a commercial plane the company built. I had it for years, but when he moved from Texas to Oklahoma I was still in school and staying with my mom. He took the plane because I didn't have room for it at my mom's and he gave it away to someone in Oklahoma. When I moved up years later to go to college he couldn't remember who he gave it to.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:05 pm

I folks,
I do hope you don't mind me sharing a few random shots I took at a small battle re-enactment event last weekend..

(Hope the Nazi flag doesn't offend anyone.. Mods please feel free to remove the picture if anyone objects)

You don't see many Kubelwagens about, they're certainly a lot rarer than the good ol' Jeep

And an awesome custom camper van that I spotted at a car show (held on Stamford meadow) today:

Just a small selection of the many vintage & classic vehicles on show:

Cheers
T'shot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Some great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Great battlefield action photos, and some cool vehicles too - love the custom camper van.

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi Folks,

A few random shots from around last weekends Victory Show to share with you:

None of those shots really reflect the size of the show... these, of the re-enactors post battle roll call, will give a better impression:

I counted, during the main event, at least 9 assorted Half Tracks, 3 Shermans & 1 Stuart tank on the Allied side... and more Jeeps than you could point a stick at.

Sadly the weather took a turn for the worse, high winds led to the cancelation of much of the flying & the rain poured down during the big battle, which is why I didn't get any pictures of the main event Sad

During one very heavy downpour, I got stuck in the entertainment tent just in time to see the Victory Girls perform....

.. I may of forgotten to take an umbrella that day but at least I remembered my camera Wink" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Poor you stuck in the tent with those women...... lol! I am sure that was a bad thing. Razz

Great shots as usual. Thanks for sharing. Neat to see those planes. Some kind of remote miniatures?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:55 am

Hi there & thanks Smile

Yeah, they're large scale R.C. flying models... the jet's have real miniature jet engines & have an impressive turn of speed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Cool new pics. Those model planes are surprisingly big! Have to ask why some of the soldiers in the first few pics showing the woodland battles have white attachments to their uniforms and hats unsure  Sorry to say my first thought was Imperial Hoth Troopers Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander

PostSubject: Re: Fly Navy Airshow    Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi and thanks Artoo.

They're wearing white camo' their display depicted the Battle Of The Bulge, they'd sprayed fake snow all around the woods to re-create the winter effect (to deny the Allies their advantage of air support, the Germans launched their attack in December using the heavy snow fall to their benefit) but unfortunately the rain had washed most of it away by the time the show started. doh

Back in 2011 the War & Peace Show did something similar, using snow machines to create a veritable blizzard:

Believe it of not those were taken during a heat wave in June.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Fly Navy Airshow

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next