View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am

Blog Update #15 (18/12/2018)

Palitoy 65-C with John Menzies Price Sticker and Rare A1 Poster Exclusive to John Menzies

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Jm_pal10

Good Old John Menzies...

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Jm110

Back in my home town-centre, we had a John Menzies and it sold a mixture of stationary, newpapers, books and toys - including Vintage Star Wars:

It closed a long time ago, but I hear that one of the rear access doors (that opened into the local indoor market still has the old sign in-place:

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Jm210

Below is a Giant vintage poster that you could have gotten back in the day, if you'd spent a minimum amount on Star Wars. The poster is Huge (A1 -Size) and full of great images; there’s a group shot of the new (at the time) ROTJ release figures. Note also the Blue Sabre in Luke’s Hand.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Jm_pos10

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Img_e810

Thanks to Jo Polson, I have been able to source a Palitoy 65-C Luke Jedi with a John Menzies price sticker to go with it.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Palito35

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Palito36

Although John Menzies’ retail shops are long gone, they’re still are going strong today as a company providing Logistics and parcel deliveries. Only the other day I had a John Menzies van pull up outside my front door with a parcel of Star Wars; I liked the thought that 35 years later, I am still getting some vintage Star Wars from Menzies.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Jm-now10

Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 10:19 pm

Not being a preproduction guy I don't know that I recall exactly the difference in a chromalin, a proof, or even a box flat. I have heard the terms and using the way they are applied I infer things like preproduction and whatnot but as to what step each is exactly I don't know. Would be neat to see that rancor piece though. I didn't look up the rancor box art but I assume it has Luke Jedi on it since he is one of the 3 characters to actually share screen time with the rancor.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thundershot

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2019 5:11 pm

I remember my local John Menzies, in Peterborough, having a brilliant Star Wars section & a display literally pilled high with boxes of plush Ewoks & other Tri-Logo vintage goodness.

I'm pretty sure it was the first place I found (& maybe even the only shop in town) that stocked the "last 17" & series 3 Action Force figures.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Craigy, congrats on the John Menzies poster (always loved that version) and the price sticker Luke Jedi. I have a Luke X Wing Pilot cardback with a John Menzies sticker on it and cherish it. The local John Menzies to me as a child in Birmingham has lots of happy memories - from buying Star Wars to Playmobil to Lego toys, to comics and books, and of course sweets!

Here's a 1979 ad I own for John Menzies, no Star Wars toys on it but lots of other good things.

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 John_m10

And, I had no idea they were still in business for parcels and logistics. What a treat to see that logo again!

Thanks for bringing back some good memories mate cheers

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for posting! To be honest, I am in the same boat as you. I only have a small number of pre-production and often rely on the SWCA Lexicon or Gus and Duncan's Guide to Star Wars Prototypes. Mattias Rendahl also has a book (A New Proof) that I hopefully have coming soon.

Here’s the link to SWCA Lexicon:

The Rancor Cromalin is the next piece to be framed but I have a few payment-plans to complete first.

@Thundershot
Thank you too for taking the time to post and sharing your memories, I bet that must have been a wonderful sight! I remember receiving Tri-logo packaged figures - when I finally received Chewie, he was on a Tri-logo Card.
For the last 17, I never knew that there were 17! I only ever saw Luke Stormtrooper and then loose in the playground – a  school friend popped him out of his coat pocket and as fast as it was drawn-out, he put away.

Hello Paul,
It's always great seeing your paperwork. How’s the Luke X-wing focus going? I think John Menzies will always hold a place in our hearts! Glad you enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Blog Update #16 (13/04/2019)

A Complete Set of Unitoys Luke Jedi…

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 Img_e910

Yesterday, I finally completed my Unitoys Luke Jedi Run. These are slightly harder to find Luke Jedi figures which were made by the Kenner Far East Vendor: Unitoys of Hong Kong.

These figures have a COO of “Made in Hong Kong” stamped on the leg; they also have unique sculpts for the accessories and their MOCs have the stamp “HT” printed on the reverse of the card next to the POP seal.

I must admit, it was hard to sell pieces from my collection that I have had for so long. But in doing so, I could finally complete the run, as I currently understand it (i.e. assuming that the ROTJ 65-C will never surface).
MOCs:

65-A
* Snap Cape in Baggie behind Luke (No Tray Inside Bubble)
* Snap Cape Loose behind Luke (No Tray Inside Bubble)
* Stitched Cape Loose behind Luke (No Tray Inside Bubble)
* Stitched Cape Loose and Tray Inside Bubble
65-B
65-C
* appears not to exist
77-A
Baggies:
ESB-h (Kenner) Baggie with Unitoys Luke
Figures:
Loose Snap Cape
Loose Stitched Cape

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-