The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Re UK Graders or AFA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HothTony
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
HothTony

Re UK Graders or AFA Empty
PostSubject: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:24 pm

I know to some the question of grading is a a 'NO NO' for various reasons but I wondered what experiences people had when dealing with both especially if dealing with AFA from outside the USA.
Does anyone think that an AFA graded figure / MOC would hold its value more when compared to UK Graders (I know talking about values again upsets some but its just something that intrigues me when there is a pretty clear lobby of 'fors and againsts'
Tony
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:28 pm

I never dealt with either, but I think AFA would be the choice because they are more known than UK graders.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Tony,

The cases look almost the same for my pieces. The only thing I would point out is that there is no risk of customs charges when your goods arrive back allowing you to over-insure them incase they go missing or get damaged. The grading of UKG seems to be consistent with AFA.
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 4:39 pm

I've bought a few UKG graded figure's.

I don't mind them.

I think i'm going to send them my Ledy Jawa to grade.

Dan.

Last edited by vintageSWfan on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hothrebel
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
hothrebel

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 5:20 pm

I prefer my pieces graded and it would be AFA ahead of UKG and I live in the UK.

I've had a few of my own items graded by UKG and they came back with wrong descriptions on the lables ect. Not going to slag them off but I won't use them again.
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:59 am

I sent a Lily Ledy jawa to UK for grading.I think they might of lost it :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

The whole reason i sent it to them was i wanted it to be cased with the COA all in one case.I like the way they have displayed some fig's that way and wanted it done that way so i could put it next to my afa 90 Jawa.

Fk the postal people delivered it to their address but no one accepted package and UK graders say it's at custom's my email comfirmation tracking say's delivery was attempted it's not at custom's.Here is a copy of email mail tracking.

Flag this messageRe: Order lili ledy jawaWednesday, June 23, 2010 3:49 PMFrom: "dan levy" Add sender to ContactsTo: "stephen ward"

Hi Stephen the mail made an attempt to deliver no one was available to receive.I beleive it came to you and now is sitting at your local post office.I hope it does'nt get lost or returned back.Here is a copy of email i received about the package being delivered.

Flag this messageUSPS Shipment Info for CP22 6818 557U S
Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:16 PMFrom: "U.S._Postal_Service_" Add sender to Contacts To: danslevy@sbcglobal.netThis is a post-only message. Please do not respond.

dan levy has requested that you receive a Track & Confirm update, as shown
below.

Track & Confirm e-mail update information provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Label Number: CP22 6818 557U S

Service Type: International Parcels

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attempted Delivery GREAT BRITAIN 06/18/10 12:44am
Abroad
At Foreign Delivery GREAT BRITAIN 06/17/10 11:31pm
Unit

Out of Foreign Customs GREAT BRITAIN 06/17/10 6:33pm

Into Foreign Customs GREAT BRITAIN 06/14/10 9:00am

Into Foreign Customs GREAT BRITAIN 06/14/10 8:59am

Arrived Abroad GREAT BRITAIN 06/14/10 8:48am

Acceptance RUSSELL IL 60075 06/07/10 4:03pm

Reminder: Track & Confirm by email

Date of email request: 06/09/10

Can you go to the post office and find out if they still have the package?????

Write me back.

--- On Wed, 6/23/10, stephen ward wrote:

Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 6:59 am

Dan why did you risk sending something like that from the USA to the UK??

Most UK lads who grade items use the AFA because the quality is far superior, the value of and AFA Grade item over a UKG Item is higher and the AFA are long established grading company.

If it was just for the case with the COA im pretty sure AFA do that as well ???

I really hope your item is found buddy

Jay

Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 am

Dan Buddy,

I can imagine your worry so... thought I help out and have a look for you. I used “Parcel Force Track and Trace” for the UK side of tracking a US sent item.

Note:

You can’t use Royal Mail (British Postal Service) to track an incoming parcel sent from US. So go to this link for the Parcel Force website:

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/track?catId=7500082

Now:

Enter the USPS tracking Number and don't forget to tick the box thats say "incoming international parcel"

I entered "CP22 6818 557U S" as that was in your post above.
The Parcel is then given a British Tracking Number once it arrives in the UK. If you enter the USPS number (CP22 6818 557U S) you will be directed to this new page with the British tracking details.

As you will see it is assigned the following data:

Parcel number: EC347381733GB
Service: Express 48
Last tracked at: Nottingham Central Depot

Note you can get even more details by clicking the UK Parcel Tracking Number (EC347381733GB)
The new tracking page to pop up should show:

Track & Trace
Parcel tracking details
Progress of the parcel you've enquired about is displayed below.

Parcel number: EC347381733GB
Parcel tracks
Date Time Location Tracking Event
18-06-2010 00:44 Nottingham Central Depot Awaiting payment of charges
17-06-2010 23:31 Nottingham Central Depot Arrived at delivery depot
17-06-2010 18:33 National Hub Sorted in hub
17-06-2010 11:32 International Hub RELEASED WITH CHARGES
14-06-2010 09:00 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGING
14-06-2010 08:59 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGES
14-06-2010 08:48 International Hub Arrived in destination country

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I wanted to give you as much information as possible.

To cut a long story short Parcel Force won’t release the item until someone pays the custom charges which they collect. Do UKG graders help with this or will you have to contact the Depot Office and pay them???

I don’t know the answer to this sorry and I am back in Ireland so I can’t ring for you either sorry... maybe you can contact UKG to arrange them to pay for you? If UKG won’t pay the customs charge then maybe contact the Parcel Force Nottingham Central Depot Office and pay directly.

I had a look for a phone number for customer services but if you’re ringing from outside the UK you’re advised to email:
Customers from outside the UK can email us on parcelforce@parcelforce.co.uk

I hope some of this will help you! Good Luck dude!
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:23 am

This is another reason why is crazy for a USA guy to send an item to UKG as you could end up paying our custom charges!!!

Its pretty crazy when you think about Yanks dont have custom charges but the UK does so when a Yank sends a parcel to UKG (as opposed to selling an item to a guy in the UK where the buyer picks up the costs) then its got to be the person getting the item graded that will be responsible for customs!! I wonder if thats in the UKG Terms and Conditions for international users?

Jay

Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:03 pm

DAN, I hope you get your Ledy JAWA!!! ....... I feel your suffering!!
Back to top Go down
geordie
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
geordie

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Ive just gotten my loose chewbacca back from ukg, its only taken 7 weeks !! says on their website a 3-4 week turnaround, they also never informed me they had received my figure which they said they would and then it was another 3 weeks before i finally got it back,

IF there is a next time for me to send a figure for grading then il try afa

Andy
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 3:59 am

You guy's are awesome.

I know i wanted the pretty casing from UK.

I fk'd up.

I think stephen said he is going to pick the package up at nottingham.and yes cusom's is charging me another 60Euro which is what 90 US dollar's on top of the$33 to ship plus$$$$ for grading.Money money everyone has their hand's out, i guess i love bendding over cause that's where it's alway's going.

I hope Stephen find's it.I'd realy hate to be out all the money 1. for figure, 2.for shippping, 3. for new shipping charge's,4. it's a Ledy i alway's know some sort of fkery comes with every Ledy deal i do.

I'm off to the drag race in Joliet this weekend.The Pink's All Out show has finally arrived.

I'm going to try and stay positive good thing's are going on.good luck to England in the game saturday i won't be able to be by the tv.I hope US can win too.

I'll be back to vintageSW collecting on sunday i hope it all work's out.Thank you guy's for all the help you all are life saver's.

Your friend Dan. cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
hothrebel
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
hothrebel

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Well I've finally bitten the bullet and sent a few of my Pali MOC's to the AFA for grading. The 1st time I've sent owt away for grading and the figures have arrived safe and sound,just hope they come back the same Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:33 pm

It look's like i am being asked for $76.81 from stephen.He could of mentioned that there would of been an extra charge.
I have shiped to Uk before and never have custom's over there hold a package for ransom.I guess because i insured the package it's being held up.If i would of know about this bllsht i never would of mailed my Ledy Jawa to them.What a fkn nightmare.What to do now? Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:35 pm

@vintageSWfan wrote:
It look's like i am being asked for $76.81 from stephen.He could of mentioned that there would of been an extra charge.
I have shiped to Uk before and never have custom's over there hold a package for ransom.I guess because i insured the package it's being held up.If i would of know about this bllsht i never would of mailed my Ledy Jawa to them.What a fkn nightmare.What to do now? Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Have you check UKG's terms and conditions for international customers to see if they state that you would be responsible Dan?

Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 pm

No i have'nt checked,I'm pretty mad.I usualy can't make good decision's or think right when i'm upset.

Where do i look for their rules,i guess somewhere on their UKG site???

Could you help me out Jay,I'm in a funk with all this,i'm coming down off a high from an excellent weekend of racing to come back and deal with custom's and UKG BS.

Your friend Dan.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:49 pm

@vintageSWfan wrote:
No i have'nt checked,I'm pretty mad.I usualy can't make good decision's or think right when i'm upset.

Where do i look for their rules,i guess somewhere on their UKG site???

Could you help me out Jay,I'm in a funk with all this,i'm coming down off a high from an excellent weekend of racing to come back and deal with custom's and UKG BS.

Your friend Dan.

The should be on website as a rule but all i can seem to find is the following on the order page -

Delivery Type
Recorded Delivery Special Delivery

The price for delivery of items is not included in the total and can be found on the invoice.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
All items are to be delivered to the below address.
All items MUST be sent by a trackable delivery service.
We will not be held responsible for any lost or damaged items in the post.
They are then transferred to our secure workshop where they are graded and posted back to you.
Once your item has been graded it will be sent back to you securely by your prefered method of delivery.
Again the item must be returned to you by a trackable form of delivery for security reasons your tracking number will be on your invoice.
Your invoice must be paid in full before your item is sent back to you.

Please send items to:

Are there any terms and conditions on the email they sent you?

Jay

Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Uk customs sucks, its hit n miss if your items gets thru or not but high value items (declared) do tend to get stopped Sad

I don't think you can expect UKG to take the cost for you tho as its not their fault customs have impounded your item.
I doubt they get many u.s collectors sending them stuff when the mighty AFA are right on your doorstep, so this may be a 1st.

If it was the other way round no way would AFA pay import fees.
Its a shame UKG have not arranged something with customs explaining the items are for grading to be returned to the owner.
Like when AFA return stuff to the uk they attach a label i believe so it gets thru customs ok, its a shame ukg can't have something arranged with uk customs so that you could print a form from their website and attach it to your parcel.

Im not sure how hard it would be for UKG to sort something like that out?

I have been hit with a £65 charge once before, it sucks big time but if you want the item you just have to bite the bullet and pay the fee.

Now i try to get a lower value declared but use a very secure registered service. Had no probs doing things this way.

I can't see any way out of this other than either pay the fee, or contact uk customs and see if you can pay for the item to be returned to you?

I can see why your pissed, i would be too Sad

Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 5:57 pm

No they never mentioned anything about custom's.

I did exactly what they said to do.I put tracking and insurance on the package just like they asked,and shipped it to the address he gave me.

In my email tracking it said that the package was out of custom's hand;s and was sent out for delivery.It say's they made an attempt to deliver but no one was availaible for signature.Why should i have to pay.i sent it to the address he told me to ship it too.It's not my fault he did'nt sign for package going to his P.O. box.seem's like it was his partial mistake,for not having me send the package to where someone would of been available to sign,you know what i mean.No one hang's out at their post office P.O.Box.

I also talked to Stephen for 2 month's before i sent this package to him i thought we covered all the bases it's not like i shipped the item out to him with out his prior knowledge.I went on and on about how rare the figure was and that we should take all precaution's so that something like this would'nt happen.He never mentioned a word about custom's we must of emailed each other back and forth over 20 time's in a 2 month period,Look's like stephen did'nt have my back on this one.How could something this important slip his mind?????
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 6:11 pm

I have had parcel force knock my door with a parcel and he had a form asking for £22 to release the parcel.
if you don't pay they take it back lol. I even got asked for 20 odd pence once for something that didn't have the correct postage.

Im guessing something similar happened here, as it was a po box and nobody was there to hand over the release fee the delivery person returned the parcel. Hence why it says attempted delivery.

Even if steve had been there to receive the parcel i doubt he'd of paid the import fee.
They would be running at a loss if they paid peoples import fee's, which is not good business.

They should have a disclamer tho pointing out that items sent from outside the EU may have an import fee.

Hope you get it sorted Dan
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 6:17 pm

On another note tho steve should of known there would be an import fee to pay if you declared the full value.

It must of slipped his mind, but that doesn't help you at all.
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 6:49 pm

I know it's a Ledy and a rare one. i knew the Ledy curse would show again.Fk i should stick with Kenner figure's.Man that felt depressing just hearing me say that.If i can't get my Ledy's fk it.nothing else get's me excited about collecting like Ledy's do.
Kenner figure'as are like vanilla ice cream to me.

Ledy's are like all 33 flavor's ice cream mixed in one. lol! lol! lol! lol!

Dan. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Del
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Del

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 6:55 pm

lol, you sure do get your fair share of bad luck Dan

Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 7:55 pm

@Del wrote:

They should have a disclamer tho pointing out that items sent from outside the EU may have an import fee.

I agree with everything you said pretty much Del but the above point is the crux they should have warned Dan about the impact of custom charges and who would be responsible if they occured etc.

Like i mentioned before its not something the AFA need to worry about but if it was they would defo make sure any customers who could be effected were informed prior to purchasing there services if only to ensure they werent liabel in anyway. I do feel UKG need to cross there t's and dot there i's more and increase there quality control as another friend of mine recieved item back with spelling mistakes on it again only the other month.

Not trying to bash them im not into grading myself and i abore U Grades but its good to see someone trying to break the UK Market i just hope they increase the level of professionalism and the end product to truely start competing with the AFA.

Cheers Jay

Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 pm

Ya i tried.

I know no one's perfect but geez,i seem to be taking it pretty hard on every end.I wish Stephen can at least meet me halfway on the extra fee's.

I wanted to just have it authenticated and i wanted to give them a try.This is my first time and it's not looking good for a second time.This realy does blow hard.

Dan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re UK Graders or AFA   Re UK Graders or AFA I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re UK Graders or AFA

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-