The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey Empty
PostSubject: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:19 am

With the current focus on blogs, it reminds me of a regret I started to have recently. I wish i'd started a blog of my collecting journey from day 1. I think it may have made interesting reading (for me if nobody else!).

The following basically follows my path in our hobby:

Deciding (casually) to collect....leading quickly into obsession lol.
Finding relevant sites existed (RS, SWFuk, SWCC & many others). My involvement in Red5aussie (failed), then here at TIG (success!).
My elation at discovering ebay, & then gradually the disappointment setting in.
My evolving thoughts on price - i initially would baulk at paying $50 for a figure, lmao. Taking too much time justifying a price to myself & missing out anyway!
Research.
Trawling!!!!!
Buying items completely unrelated to my goals & immediately regretting it.
Deciding on my level of acceptable condition, also altering in time.
My minor (& major) triumphs & failiures. The near hits & near misses. Sleepless nights worrying about snipes & pm's.
My exposure to scammers & repros. Scum of this galaxy & every other!
Of course, my evolving collection; Deciding on loose variants. Ships too. Yeah, never had ships when i was a kid. Coins, cool! A focus? maybe Fett??? That’s been done before? Really? Cardboard?....Na! I’m like a kid in a toy shop!
Deciding how to display (carboard boxes still does the trick atm!!).
Watching international exchange rates for the first time ever!
Working out if AFA is for me or not. My absolute amazement & disgust that U grading exists in the hobby.
Admiring other peoples' collections, & feeling insignificant by comparison!
Worrying about sunlight, heat, cold, condensation etc (I’m sure that Stormie is yellower than last week…?)
Will the Postie turn up today? Is it lost? Held up in customs? “Borrowed” by the Postman/neighbours? Getting chewed by our dogs on the doormat while i'm at work?
Do I add the Droids & Ewoks figures to my collection??? Where the hell do they fit in anyway?!!!
Trawling!
What about adding that nice looking modern piece? It's really great looking, but just...not vintage, it won't smell right!
Discovering how much smaller the internet has made the world, & therefore how much easier it is to obtain a wide ranging collection. Perhaps Coffs Harbour is not in the Outer Rim after all!
Frustration at missing out on all the big city Conventions & local collecting groups. Huge shipping costs & fellow collectors refusing to ship to me. The realization that Coffs Harbour is actually situated beyond the Outer Rim.
My friends in the hobby - old, new & the longlasting everpresents. The guys that come & go. The friendships i know now extend beyond the hobby. Meeting guys in new countries i would never have met if not for our hobby. Our slightly OT & completely OT discussions.
Getting caught up in the “figure/foreign line of the moment” & paying way over the odds!
My thoughts on the politics of the hobby [giggles].
Then there's my worries of spending too much money (& time) on the hobby. Surely my wife suspects..... At least i can kid her (myself) that it's an investment!! Do I sell to buy? Or even buy to sell to buy!
There's also the nagging worry of break in's. Deciding what info to share with who. To insure or not? The kids/dogs/kids friends, (hell, my friends) touching/moving/chewing.
The ridicule from friends & family (we gotta be thick skinned sometimes).
Cataloging & photographing. Never got on top of that. One day... Wishing I wasn’t so damn colourblind.
Trawling.....
Continuing research & growing knowledge. The embarassing gaffs & good feelings when knowledge you have gained helps someone out.
Then from there, thoughts that i'm just touching on now (& are put in the too hard basket). Do i tell the wife what the collection's worth in case the worst happens? Or do i burden one of my collecting buddies to sell it off. More importantly, where do i go when i get everything that is readily available to me? What next??????

I'm sure my journey in the hobby is a very average story, but i would love to follow someone's journey right from day 1. If only….Any volunteers?

Disclaimer: This post is purely self indulgent, please feel free to completely ignore my ramblings!

Last edited by Tank1252 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:21 am

Bloody hell Timster thats the longest post i have ever seen you write!

Im gonna have to make a cup a coffee now so i can sit back and read it all Smile

Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:33 am

lol Tim that's ace! Never mind not writing a blog then - just write one now, that was a great read and sums up perfectly
the highs and lows of this obsessive hobby. Nice one cheers

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
HothTony
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
HothTony

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:37 am

Wicked Tim

I agree with Paul it sums up perfectly what I am sure most of us go through and like he says....why stop now ...keep on writing (or bloging) as its already a great read Very Happy
Tony
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:42 am

Chances are if you had blogged as you progressed it wouldn't have been as interesting as it is now that you are reflecting!

Nice read Tim, definitely can relate to more than a few of those situations and experiences!

Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:46 am

Completely recognizable Tim. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:46 am

Thats was a great read Tim and im pretty sure we all share in many of the points you highlighted!

This one was my personal fav! -

Frustration at missing out on all the big city Conventions & local
collecting groups. Huge shipping costs & fellow collectors refusing
to ship to me. The realization that Coffs Harbour is actually situated beyond the Outer Rim.

Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:52 am

Change Coffs for Perth & cardboard yes- that would be my story Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:53 am

Tim that was wonderful reading! Very Happy

Actually, I think a blog suites you well. Wink

That was a fun read and I have to agree with Joe, I think the reflection aspect of it was half the fun. I do think you should look into blogging though.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Hey Tim, I saw have a go at it. You've already listed some great topics that you could write about. It doesn't have to always be about what is going on right this second. Your post has actually made me a bit nostalgic about my collecting history and some posts that I could do. If you do set one up, post the link, so we can follow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:31 pm

that was a real funny read already , maybe because i regonize so much of my own thoughts in there

well probebly along with everyone else here that reads , it

love the , iam sure that stormie was whiter last week

maybe we all should make a blog , sounds interesting enough kinda like a collectors log

Back to top Go down
HothTony
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
HothTony

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:39 pm

To be honest I would be too scared to start a blog in case someone in company found and realised how much Star wars related work I do during the day and how little proper work lol!
Tony
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 6:31 pm

(original post slightly updated)
Thanks for the kind words guys, i musty admit i enjoyed writing it. Maybe i will do one. How do i set one up Shawn?
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:08 am

@Tank1252 wrote:
(original post slightly updated)
Thanks for the kind words guys, i musty admit i enjoyed writing it. Maybe i will do one. How do i set one up Shawn?

wordpress.com is fairly easy to setup. Shoot me a pm if you need help with anything.

They also have a free app for your iPad when you finally get to open it up. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:08 am

Its Amazing how similar thoughts can be!

I would sign the first post from tankster.....

Awesome!!

I read it twice....and still LMFAO.....

Maybe thís whole "where i my figure" worries are the funniest part...

I bought some Ledy figures today....hoping the weapons are Ledy as promised! I dont know yet ...the seller couldt make clear macros! The price was okay...my girlfriend would kill me if she knew....
...waiting...
Its now 2 weeks....this is normal for mexico shipping.....Im still excited....waiting for the delivery boy every day....
...waiting....
Damn mexican shipping...did the mule arrive today?...maybe he starved while crossing the sea...its now 4 weeks. Maybe the customs fetched it again: as it wasnt already expensive enough!
....waiting...
Its now 5 weeks. Im giving up hope....another bag of money thrown out the window.......there was a package in today.....but its something I didnt even know anymore.....why do I always buy stuff I wouldnt even notice if it would get lostß?? And stuff Im waiting for always gets lost?????
.....waiting....
Its now 6 weeks....I wrote the seller weeks ago...no reply yet....damn eby...I hate it! The mule died definatly!!!
...not waiting anymore....
There was a green paper in the mail today...the customs wanna see a bill...that means the mule survived...but I have to pay extra 20% on the bill...including the shipping costs.....what kind of an asshole makes such laws....paying fees on shipping cost....
.....I need to take some freetime from work....also cost me money...driving to the customs...Opening time: from 9-11 and 13-16 o'clock...seriously...I hate these guys!
Showing the bill...paying my fees!
Finally....I got my figures from mexico...7 weeks later....I open it.....oh damn...this is not what I orderd...Kenner weapons again!....And also recognizing: The other package from the other deal was sent 3 weeks ago....Im getting worried by now...Normally it must must arrive these day...
...waiting.......

Blog 2:

I have a bag of extra cash.....and now figures in sight I would like to buy...Didnt buy sth for weeks now!
....bored.....
I surfing the bay.....again...wasteing my time going through tons of worthless SW stuff....nothing in sight....nothing to wait for..
....bored....
I noticed today I have 50 objects in oberservation in "my bay"......but I dont wanna buy one of these figure seriously....so deleting all!
....bored....
I browsing again...this time Im checking RS classified....nothing in there....Im now on classfied posts which are 4 weeks old.....WHY???? I already checked them 4 weeks ago...duchbag!
....bored....
nothing nothing...nothing to buy fro me....some duchbags selling stuff for ridiculous amounts I dont wanna pay.....Im waiting for good and fair priced stuff....
...bored....
AHA....I finally found an auction...its a damn bootleg....this gonna be expensive but who cares??? I didnt bought something for weeks....I can afford it! I was so bored I would even pay more then normal...just to finally buy sth again!
....not bored anymore...
I bought the damn bootleg today.....finally...sth for the "your latest purchases" thread.....WUHUUUUUUU!!!
...happy...
I checked my pms today.....Its unbelievable: 5 guys wrote me! All have rare and good stuff to sell...exclusive for me...I want these figures....but I bought the damn bootleg yesterday....so no more extar cash! WHY???? Why does good stuff always appear at the same time....WHY ddidnt at least one of them pmed me yesterday...Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?????????
...I hate collecting.....

Wolff

Last edited by wbobafett on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:24 am

edit: combined my 2 posts Wink

Last edited by wbobafett on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:43 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice doc, thats a typical month for most of us lol
Back to top Go down
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:49 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
i like it lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
geordie
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
geordie

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 6:37 am

ha ha ha ha this has tickled me big time , both "blogs" summing up how ive felt (minus the ledy's) , is it there yet, is it there yet, is it there yet texting my gf while im at work, then on late shift getting to bed after 3.30 am, then sprinting down the stairs at half 8 because i heard the door,,,, this must be it....................................................... good moringing im doing some building work 5 doors up would you like a quote for new windows...... F***@@@ Tw££^^55%%

Andy
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 12:28 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice doc, thats a typical month for most of us lol

haha...I nearly forgot that Im the doc!

btw....what happened to this thread???

wolff
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Both your blogs could be me Wolff. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey   To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To Blog Or Not To Blog - A Collecting Journey

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-