The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:22 am

@aussiejames wrote:
@Dr Dengar wrote:
there is an easy way to get rid of the stickiness. Anyone?
warm soapy water and a soft bristled brush.

Thx James, that sounds easy. You have experience with this? And the stickiness did not return?
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:31 am

I've had a few figures that were sticky, mainly dark coloured ones like the Imperial Commander, Han Solo... I've heard it's simlilar to the white frosting(mould) but not sure about that. The climate here is not good for mould and all my cleaned figures are still clean Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:34 am

If you clean that tacky/stickyness off a figure it shouldn't return, I had a few straight from damaged MOCS that had this
problem and after 1-2 cleans , a bit of a soak in warm soapy water and then leave them to dry I have never had it return.

Zip lock bags can sometimes produce this kind of reaction also with figures, its the plastic and storage conditions (temperature)
that make them begin to breakdown, thankfully it is a surface problem that can be washed/cleaned off if caught in good time.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:42 am

OK thx for the advice, I wil try just to wash them with soap to get rid of the stickiness.

Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:43 pm

@Dr Dengar wrote:
[

Something which might be off topic here but I was triggered by the diffusion of flexibilizers out of the plastic. Is this phenomenon causing the sticky feeling of some of my otherwise mint figures?

I think so, yes. This can be washed of with soap and water indeed.

For flexibilizers:

You ever heard of a german factory called: "schildkröt"?

They used celluloid for building their dolls for kids! The advertments said: these are not destroyable! Today all flexibilzers are out of the celluloid....and the break by taping them Very Happy

Its an famous example of the early use from plastics for kids toys!

Over the years all our beloved figures will get veeery hard and brittle...but there is no reason to accelerate this reaction by bleaching things! I already posted my 5 cents...Wink

Wolff

Last edited by wbobafett on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:24 pm

@wbobafett wrote:
@Dr Dengar wrote:
[

Something which might be off topic here but I was triggered by the diffusion of flexibilizers out of the plastic. Is this phenomenon causing the sticky feeling of some of my otherwise mint figures?

I think so, yes. This can be washed of with soap and water indeed.

For flexibilizers:

You ever heard of a german factory called: "schildkröt"?

They used celluloid for building their dolls for kids! The advertments said: these are not destroyable! Today all flexibilzers are out of the celluloid....and the break by taping them Very Happy

Its an famous example of the early use from plastics for kids toys!

Over the years all our beloved figures will get veeery hard and brittle...but there is now reason to accelerate this reaction by bleaching things! I already posted my 5 cents...Wink

Wolff

Celluloid is highly flammable too. Therefore maybe just the right material for making Jar Jar Binks figures. :pitch fork:

Wolff, check the small typo in your post, it unintentionally makes you now a strong bleach supporter whereas you probably meant the oposite. Very Happy

Any idea about the time lines were are talking about before our figures become hard and brittle. 10, 20, 50, 100 years? I can live with the last option.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Time will tell....I would guess nobody knows!

Thanks for pointing me to the misstyping!

Wolff

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:14 pm

In 100 years all the organic parts (plastic, cardbacks) of our collections has degraded considerably, leaving the (inorganic) POTF coins probably the sole survivor of time aging.

But why care about future, when today I can cherish each and every moment sitting quietly at the attic amidst my SW boxes, providing me plenty of joy and pure nostalgia from the past.

"All beauty is fleeting..”
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:20 pm

True words and in 100yrs time I will be far from caring :cool laugh:

Unless they need some testing for immortality then I might sign up Wink haha
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:26 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
True words and in 100yrs time I will be far from caring :cool laugh:

Unless they need some testing for immortality then I might sign up Wink haha

Hey Joe, jugded from your avatar I already thought you succeeded in obtaining some state of immortality. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:30 pm

That information is classified Cool
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:42 pm

@Dr Dengar wrote:
In 100 years all the organic parts (plastic, cardbacks) of our collections has degraded considerably, leaving the (inorganic) POTF coins probably the sole survivor of time aging.

But why care about future, when today I can cherish each and every moment sitting quietly at the attic amidst my SW boxes, providing me plenty of joy and pure nostalgia from the past.

Year 2110. Ebay listing 999999999999999,89764528333763,92827635343434.

L@@k!!! 20th Century POTF 'Han Solo in Trench Coat' Coin. Last remaining item from 'Ye olde Star Wars days gone by' L@@K!!!

Item is slightly bent and has rust spots.

100% original POTF coin not Repro or implant-memory or thought-transference item! The real thing!!!

Bid now! All the other items have rotted, melted or were eaten by spores!

BID: 12 Billion Credits or Best Offer (Buyers with zero feedback will be incinerated).

See my feedback and bid with confidence!

lol! lol!

Nice quote Marco!

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Artoo_Detour wrote:

Year 2110. Ebay listing 999999999999999,89764528333763,92827635343434.

L@@k!!! 20th Century POTF 'Han Solo in Trench Coat' Coin. Last remaining item from 'Ye olde Star Wars days gone by' L@@K!!!

Item is slightly bent and has rust spots.

100% original POTF coin not Repro or implant-memory or thought-transference item! The real thing!!!

Bid now! All the other items have rotted, melted or were eaten by spores!

BID: 12 Billion Credits or Best Offer (Buyers with zero feedback will be incinerated).

See my feedback and bid with confidence!

lol! lol!

Nice quote Marco!

Superb!!! (would be a nice intro for some SF novel, Paul).
Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Wollf your my Hero. :falcon:

The cape turned out fine.It was a stubborn stain but i got er done.

When can i see your new Ledy's. :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz:

Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape   YPS  Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YPS Stormtrooper Vinyl Cape

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-