The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

How do you guys store youre figs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:56 pm

@Lee_m wrote:
Interesting thread this...

I got all my loose figs out of zip lock baggies a while
back and now keep them all in clamshell cases which
i purchased all used/second hand assuming that the gases
in the plastic wouldn't be so prevalent/pungent as brand
new bought ones?

That is my question....do brand new clamshell cases or
zip lock baggies ommit more gas/damage than used/second
hand ones or is there a steady level of gas coming out of
these plastics constantly?

Over to you Dr Wolff...

hmmm depends on the used material and flexibilizers!

first of all its time to find a native english person who can help me out Very Happy

Some materials use to "gas out" more when they are new! Some are very inert when they are new....but with degradation the gases come out!....

So you never now! Also it depends where the used materials are from....what histiry do they have....Did they used to be in smoker rooms etc....

As I said.....for long term storage stay away from plastics!

For sure some plastics are very inert.....I think the plexi used from Afa is okay. But whats with the glue....and most important....whats with the figures themselves ???? Figures can harm themselves when flexibilizers gas out and canniot go away!

Wolff

Let them breathe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DLT9
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
DLT9

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:29 pm

yeah this is getting more intersting by the post.

cracking my head for a solution that fits me like Uli's drawers...
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:59 pm

@wbobafett wrote:

If its for storage I would wrap every figure with weapon into soft tissue (is this the correct word?...its expensive, very thin and acidfree paper for packaging)! With the correct "bend techniques" nothing can get lost!

Hi Wolff, don't know exactly what type of paper you mean. You have a pic or internet source?

@wbobafett wrote:

As I said.....for long term storage stay away from plastics!

For sure some plastics are very inert.....I think the plexi used from Afa is okay. But whats with the glue....and most important....whats with the figures themselves ???? Figures can harm themselves when flexibilizers gas out and canniot go away!

Wolff

Let them breathe Very Happy

When reading this I was suddenly wondering, how MOC figures can breath? And if not, will they harm themselves in the end. or is the plastic in the bubble so thin that those gasses can easilty diffuse out?

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 pm

I think the important thing with collecting MOC is your storage conditions, this will prolong the life of ANY collectible actually.

Many MOC beaters that have been abused and left to rot in fluctuating temperatures can exhibit this plastic "bleeding" and if you were to take them
off the card they can be sticky/tacky and the paint can break down, I am sure Wolff has seen this as well.

You may find that soft goods (cloaks/skirts/vinyl capes) break down as well, they can also stick to the back of the card. It's scary stuff but as I said the key is storage conditions.

If you take care of your toys they will take care of themselves Smile
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 3:22 am

Yo, I think found one:

http://www.trachtenserver.de/TraMarkt/greding/Image7.jpg

Restorers also use this to store certain stuff!

A Moc is a Moc.....This theme is too hot...Very Happy......Joe already explained what can happen to a figure in a bubble! I still believe thats why the MIM cards have the hole in the cardback!

There was a limelight....on RS.....I cannot find it! This guy has all POTF MOC and all in nice condition: no yellowed bubble, etc.....where did he keep them: in a cardborad box under his roof!

The community was all: uhhh, ahh,,, you cannot do this: graded it, starcase, etc.!

But he kept them there since years...and nopthibng happens!

Fact is: the box is not bad....the Moc can breathe! Under the roof its dark I think so no harmefull light!

The humidity and temperatures can go weired under a roof: so its possibly not a real good place for storage!

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 3:59 am

@wbobafett wrote:
Yo, I think found one:

http://www.trachtenserver.de/TraMarkt/greding/Image7.jpg

Restorers also use this to store certain stuff!

A Moc is a Moc.....This theme is too hot...Very Happy......Joe already explained what can happen to a figure in a bubble! I still believe thats why the MIM cards have the hole in the cardback!

There was a limelight....on RS.....I cannot find it! This guy has all POTF MOC and all in nice condition: no yellowed bubble, etc.....where did he keep them: in a cardborad box under his roof!

The community was all: uhhh, ahh,,, you cannot do this: graded it, starcase, etc.!

But he kept them there since years...and nopthibng happens!

Fact is: the box is not bad....the Moc can breathe! Under the roof its dark I think so no harmefull light!

The humidity and temperatures can go weired under a roof: so its possibly not a real good place for storage!

Wolff

Thx Wolff!

Ok let me try to summarize:

Cardboard boxes may be the best for long term conservation of your MOCs, I mean if you do not display them in your glass cabinets (coz glass is chemically relatively inert isn't it?).
You would recommend any special cardboard. acid-free?

And loose figures should not be wrapped in any type of plastic but may be best protected in some kind of soft acid-free tissue paper, or in drawers (like Uli did).

Next question is: where to get those plastic-friendly cardboard boxes and soft tissue paper.

Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 am

Acid free boxes

Acid free tissue paper

I bought the acid free paper together with the acid free bags. I can throw away the fucking bags now head bang but at least I still have the paper.
Back to top Go down
Capetown
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Capetown

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 am

The problem with the tissue BTW is that you can't get them out of the box once in a while and admire them without re-enacting Christmas morning. Mad
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 5:09 am

@Capetown wrote:
The problem with the tissue BTW is that you can't get them out of the box once in a while and admire them without re-enacting Christmas morning. Mad

lol!

I found another supplier for acid free paper, more close by, at least for the dutch. I have to check the prices, they were not listed.

Back to top Go down
vintageSWfan
Force Addict
Force Addict
vintageSWfan

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 am

I like to store my Vintage SW collection in an open room with good ventilation and out of sunlight or direct light from ceiling fixture's period.I mostly keep my office in the dark.Like my life. :bump:
Dan
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:05 pm

@wbobafett wrote:

these also have felxibilizers in it! I would go away from a plastic cases and bags.....I dont think afa cases or starcases or any bag in this world is good for storing figures (long term)!!!

Best method....as nearly always is: acidfree cardbord boxes....where the boxes do no harm to the figures (plastic, paint, card, bubble, etc.) and the materials can "breathe"!

Wolff

I was wondering, how about figures in baggies?

They suffer from the flexibilizers in their own baggies in the long term?

Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:30 pm

YOU NEVER WANT YOUR STAR WARS STUFF TO BE EXPOSED TO A LOT OF ACID...

OTHERWISE STUFF LIKE THIS HAPPENS!!!!

How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 Star-Wars-Spinoff--55317
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 3:54 am

@coachk28 wrote:
YOU NEVER WANT YOUR STAR WARS STUFF TO BE EXPOSED TO A LOT OF ACID...

OTHERWISE STUFF LIKE THIS HAPPENS!!!!

How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 Star-Wars-Spinoff--55317

Star Tripping?!!

I wonder what the title of the next movie would be, let me guess.....The Paddowan Strikes Back?
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 2:32 pm

@Idefix13 wrote:
I built "steps" for some drawers I already had (old IKEA):

How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 Drawer10

The only problem is that I'm running out of drawers all the time...

Uli

Wohhhhh thats incredible!!!!! What an awesome idea! My misses would freek if she opened the draws and saw this situation though! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
b4nth4
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
b4nth4

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm

great topic guys. just worked through it all, but couldn't find any mention of storing the figures where they were originally meant to be stored. Will the figures suffer long term damage if stored in the plastic trays from the vinyl carry cases or stored in original darth vader head carry cases? I've stored my figures in these for well over 10 years now with no obvious signs of distress (and most of theme are also in zip locks, which I'll start to remove asap) I have 6 vinyl cases and 3 vader cases full of figures that might need to find new homes... Shocked
Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 6:19 am

Hi guys
This danish household stuff line has this nice display thing. http://www.evasolo.com/productinfo/567382/

Your girl friend might let you have some SW in the living room if you display it in this way :-)

Soren
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 6:30 am

@soren wrote:
Hi guys
This danish household stuff line has this nice display thing. http://www.evasolo.com/productinfo/567382/

Your girl friend might let you have some SW in the living room if you display it in this way :-)

Soren

That's cool Soren, be great for displaying R2D2 figures as they are a similar shape to R2's dome.

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 pm

i was playing with the idea of storing them in one big chocolate or cookie tins that you can get dirt cheap at the holidays once the are empty...the insides are usually polished aluminum...maybe that would work with as long as you can keep the figures from rubbing against each other or rub in the can...

of course you may end up with a Han that smells like a cookie....maybe that would not be so good...
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 7:31 pm

me and curch were discussing how his figures were stored formt he pics he put up, we found out that the figurines were stored in tackle box for fishing. they are modable ones. from a company called plano.

basically it is a plastic case and you can make compartment inside the case in many rectangular form or size you like...

i like the idea a lot, you can customize the case to fit regular figures and even put in a wampa in if you want to... those cases are dirt cheap too.

the only caveat is that the divider supports that are not used could rub against your figure if you hsake the box ( as an example ) and damaged the paint. ( my opinion ) but the basic idea is very collectible friendly...now if someone could do a similar thing but for action figures, we'd be all set...

go down the page to see curch tackle boxes
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi I place them on stands, so I can watch them. Before that I had them in my vinyl cases from kenner Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you guys store youre figs?   How do you guys store youre figs? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you guys store youre figs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-