The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:21 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
@DarthStanley wrote:
MISB items-you can't open them up & display them.

This + the prices of sealed ships are wayyyy over my budget. Shocked

+ They take up lots of room to store and display!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:21 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
@Joe_O wrote:
@DarthStanley wrote:

And there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many different ships and playsets it could get hugely expensive!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
@Joe_O wrote:
@Joe_O wrote:
@DarthStanley wrote:

And there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many different ships and playsets it could get hugely expensive!

And if the tape dried up and fell off I would be crushed!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:29 pm

I agree 100%, Joe. I had an idea of getting the proof cards to display with the MOC's at one time, but decided against it. And it all wasn't price wise either. Alot of the rare items like that are already locked in collections and not going anywhere for awhile. That kinda puts a damper on getting that one special piece to add of proto/pre-prod history. Like I said those items are nice, and wouldn't mind getting one or two proofs, but that is as far as I'd go. Just like the non-toy items. Lot of people don't understand why anyone would want to collect that stuff. Its all a part of the history of the movies, but some don't get it (thankfully cheers Very Happy ). But I do see the appeal in every area of the hobby. I never thought I'd want to get a set of coins either, but I'm slowly picking up a few here and there when I see one I like. Thats why I said that was really hard to give an answer to because all areas are cool as hell and everyones limelights of their fav area just makes you want to explore it more to see what the appeal is.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:43 pm

If more people don't "get" yoda pencil sharpeners and chewbacca glow in the dark lunch boxes the better right?? Laughing

I guess a lot of my collecting decisions in the last few years have been pretty much driven by space and completion issues, I know I don't have space for
a huge collection and equally starting too many mini collections leaves me feeling a bit lost in what I own and I never really get to see it all or enjoy it all in one space, I
really like having a goal even if its small so too many "sets" would be giving me completion nightmares and I couldn't prioritize what I wanted to collect first very well .

I had this issue in England with too many "things" most ending up not on display and forgotten about.

Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 8:14 pm

@Joe_O wrote:
If more people don't "get" yoda pencil sharpeners and chewbacca glow in the dark lunch boxes the better right?? Laughing

For me yhea. Laughing It all boils down to a matter of taste, really. If everyone collected the same thing, the limelites would be boring as all hell can get out. Thankfully, alot of the vintage stuff survived these years so everyone can have a different piece of the pie to enjoy in their own way. All areas are fasinating, even if no one else gets it.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Oh definitely, I don't get a few things (as this thread has proven lol) but I love looking at it all, its not for me but I enjoy peoples collections!
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:13 pm

@hansole wrote:
Proof cards!!!!

It's like paying a zillion for a nice cardback. Wink

DITTO!!!!

Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:15 pm

.... Luke Jedi items!!!

He is only the worst and most boring vintage figure made!!!!

J/K ... Shawn, Craig and other Luke Jedi collectors!!!

lol! lol! lol! lol!

For me... it has to be... why do people collect Droid and Ewok figures??? Besides Vlix, the rarest of all figures... whats so cool about them???
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 4:30 am

@coachk28 wrote:

For me... it has to be... why do people collect Droid and Ewok figures??? Besides Vlix, the rarest of all figures... whats so cool about them???

I would ask the a similar thing Coach.

What is it about the Ewok and Droid Lines?

For me personally they have no connection to my childhood it was only as an adult collector that i learnt about them.

For those that do collect them did you have them as children or not?

In terms of displaying them i really dont like the cartoon carback artwork it doesnt hold a candle to the art work used on the vintage SW lines.

I also dont get the figures they look very cartoony compared to Vintage SW if anything the sculpts to me sit somewhere between Vintage SW and SW POTF2.

It would be cool to hear from the collectors of Droid and Ewok figures to hear the reasons why these lines mean a lot to them Smile

Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 am

@coachk28 wrote:

.... Luke Jedi items!!!

He is only the worst and most boring vintage figure made!!!!

J/K ... Shawn, Craig and other Luke Jedi collectors!!!

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Now I really feel picked on. First coins and now this. lol!

I've only picked up a couple Droids figures, but I guess I'll try and defend them. I don't think they need to be in a loose collection in order for it to be complete, but I do like the style of them. They have a lot of bright colors and in my opinion some of the sculpts are pretty much on par with the POTF figures. They, also like the coins, represent to me the last push to revitalize SW with kids.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:52 pm

I have to back Shawn up here! there is somthing a little cool about them, i know they are not directly SW, but they are part of the EU, so....aww...fuck it! theyare Star Wars Razz
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Cheers Carl and Shawn Smile

So do you think that because the coins were released alongside the POTF and Droids and Ewoks lines that Coin Collectors have potentially have more affinity to the Droids Ewoks figures when compared to collectors that aren’t into coins?

Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:40 pm

@jaymassive619 wrote:

So do you think that because the coins were released alongside the POTF and Droids and Ewoks lines that Coin Collectors have potentially have more affinity to the Droids Ewoks figures when compared to collectors that aren’t into coins?

That is certainly a possibility Jay. I know for me during the down time between POTF coins I was picking up the Droids and Ewoks coins, so maybe they grew on me then. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Zutton79
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
Zutton79

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:40 am

@jaymassive619 wrote:
@coachk28 wrote:

What is it about the Ewok and Droid Lines?

For those that do collect them did you have them as children or not?

It would be cool to hear from the collectors of Droid and Ewok figures to hear the reasons why these lines mean a lot to them Smile

I had Droids and Ewoks figures as a child. I watched the Ewoks & Droids cartoons every Saturday morning on ABC and even had some of the comic books. All of those play a huge role in why I enjoy collecting both lines today. I never had any of the preschool Ewoks figures or playsets when I was a kid, but I wanted them, because they were pretty close in scale to the 3 3/4" line. That's one reason I collect the Preschool line now, because I wanted the figures as a child.
Back to top Go down
Carl Waterworth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Carl Waterworth

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 11:08 am

@jaymassive619 wrote:

The Droids/Ewok figures have grown on me, Jay what you say is very true, i went for the POTF coins, then from there the Droids/Ewok coins and now i want to have the figures to go with the coins, I have just won Kea Moll on Ebay Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 11:34 am

I like the colours of the droids line and it just gives you a bit more to collect once you finish a basic set, I think its more an extension for those that need to collect something else most of the time lol

Although I remember watching ewok cartoons like Jarrod I actually don't like the Ewoks figures as much as the droids, but if you get one set you might as well get both (ewoks has less figures anyway Razz )
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 pm

...variant figures - esp. coo variants.

It so boring to look at the same figure lined up with 15+ examples and the only difference is an "8" a bit higher or lower what nearly can't be seen without a spy glass.

So please don't collect these! Wink

Uli
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Cereal boxes !
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:49 pm

@Idefix13 wrote:
...variant figures - esp. coo variants.

It so boring to look at the same figure lined up with 15+ examples and the only difference is an "8" a bit higher or lower what nearly can't be seen without a spy glass.

So please don't collect these! Wink

Uli

LMAO...is this Uli who said that?

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Yep it was me...

Today I feel that investigating coos brings more questions than answers... why had LL two coo moulds for their Nikto - how is the relationsship between Meccano, China, Macao, PBP, LL, Palitoy, Hong Kong - why are there no no coo figures based on Taiwan moulds - and so on...

Well perhaps only a depressive day for me and the sun will shine again tomorrow... Smile
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:01 pm

@Idefix13 wrote:
Yep it was me...

Today I feel that investigating coos brings more questions than answers... why had LL two coo moulds for their Nikto - how is the relationsship between Meccano, China, Macao, PBP, LL, Palitoy, Hong Kong - why are there no no coo figures based on Taiwan moulds - and so on...

Well perhaps only a depressive day for me and the sun will shine again tomorrow... Smile

Not only LL Nikto has 2 coo molds...also LL:
Stormtrooper, Wicket, Bib Fortuna, Boba Fett, 3po, 3po rem limbs, Leia Bespin...and many more......

YOu have to group some coos, that always go together! Thats all! I call them familys Wink

BTW: which taiwan coo is no coo??? (luke jedi or what?)

Wolff
Back to top Go down
Idefix13
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Idefix13

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:05 pm

@Idefix13 wrote:
why are there NO no coo figures based on Taiwan moulds

Pointed my post above out a bit more...
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:09 pm

@Idefix13 wrote:
@Idefix13 wrote:
why are there NO no coo figures based on Taiwan moulds

Pointed my post above out a bit more...

LOL....so at least my world is okay again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank)   I dont understand why people collect - (fill in the blank) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-