The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Your vintage mishaps...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Your vintage mishaps... Empty
PostSubject: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 9:19 am

Not a new variant, just thought I'd share my vintage minor mishap story...

it happened last year when I was doing the float test on a Luke saber I'd picked up. I was just about to drop the saber into a large bowl of water when suddenly it slipped from my fingers and promptly landed in the kitchen sink - where to my horror it immediately disappeared down the plughole! I had to remove all the junk we kept in the cupboard under the sink and go fetch the wrench to remove the waste trap. After ages of trying to remove the trap (it's a trap! Smile ) it finally gave way and I quickly placed the bowl, the one that I was originally going to use for the float test, under the waste pipe to catch the water - after removing from the trap horrible bits of old food debris and hair and grease and other crap I finally spotted the bright yellow saber (good job it's yellow and not brown!). I refixed the waste trap - which kept leaking and took me four attempts to seal! Finally, I took the saber and bowl of (fresh) water into the relative safety of the living room where it happily passed the float test. So, the moral of my story is never perform the float test in a kitchen near to where the sink is located! Or at least put the plug in first! Smile

Anyone else got any vintage mishap stories to share?

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 am

LOL Paul! The only thing that would have made that story better was if it was a repro after all that lol!

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
javiswspain
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
javiswspain

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:08 am

LOL !!!
IS like a Tarantio history jajajajjajaj Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 am

Talking about losing weapons...the other day I was packing up my loose figures and I picked up Han solo and his gun fell down I heard it hit (what I thought was the floor) and bounce, so not seeing it on the floor I thought it must have gone under the furniture...

Jumped down and had a look, couldn't see anything, just dust lol, decided I would get a ruler and try pushing things to one side to see if it appeared - nothing, tried a large piece of paper - nothing...

Got the duster out and did the entire underneath of the furniture through a tiny gap (furniture is too heavy too move and I wasn't going to empty it all for one weapon lol) anyway- nothing Sad

Few hours later I even tried again, basically laying flat on my face head turned shining a light underneath a 1 inch gap to look for a plastic weapon and this was quite late at night lol

Gave up, sat down in m chair and looked in front of me and his blaster was sitting on the next shelf down in between Hammerhead and Ree yees lol

Fucking things we do for our toys
lol!
Back to top Go down
GanjaFett
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
GanjaFett

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 pm

I had my figures free standing on acrylic risers in my case and had a figure dominos incident which prompted me to invest in some acrylic figure stands. Luckily nothing was damaged.

The only other incident was when I was trying to remove some gunk off of my taiwan Boba Fett's chest with a Q-tip. I used to use alcohol to remove dirt from my figures, but not anymore. I was scrubbing it and nothing was happening, so I scubbed harder, then I looked at the Q-tip and there was green paint on the Q-tip. I almost puked. Lesson learned. I will never clean a figure with anything other than soap and water and I won't ever press down hard again. You can barely notice the paint loss, but its the only time I've ever messed up one of my figures.
Back to top Go down
DarthStanley
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
DarthStanley

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Some funny stories lads,keep them coming!

Here is my own:

The decals weren't put on straight on the front hatch of my Rebel Transport & i read somewhere that you could remove them by gently heating them with a hairdryer to dry out the glue so that the decals would just fall off & i could re-position them.

Fuckwit here got carried away with the hairdryer,turned it on full heat & proceeded to melt the front hatch of the RT which is all warped now! lol!
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 8:24 pm

Some funny stories lads!

Mark fucking nightmare can believe you melted you RT i would have been sick lol

Well mines a pretty bad one (but not my fault!)

As many know i have 2 boxer dogs Kaede Age 6 and Dexter age 18 months.

Kaede was trained from an early age to respect the collection and in the last couple of years the collection room. She can go in there and knows shes only allowed on the rug even sniffing the moc or figs on the shelf is banned.

Anyway we got Dexter as a puppy aged 8 weeks old and he has a tail (Kaede is docked) due to changes in the law in the UK and his tail is like a fucking whip. One day we were doing a house clean and Lou selfishly leaves the door to my collection room open Dexter is bouncy as fuck and he ended up going in there flying about jumping on the bed etc. I ran to intercept him and just before i got there his tail crashed into a ROTJ Han Hoth 65 back on one of the book shelf's and sent it flying as it was in an acrylic case when it crashed to the floor the figure had burst through the bubble Sad

I have since trained him to respect the collection room and he knows now to not get so excited in there and unleash his tail lol. Plus he only ever goes in supervised these days if i let them in the both just lie down on the rug.

Jay

Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Nelg_Semaj

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 pm

My mishap ........... moving out from my parents and going to live abroad for a few years with my then girlfriend,when we returned home we set about getting our own place,once moved in together it was time to gather all our stored belongings from our parents houses.....my poor aul mum in her infinite wisdom during an attic space clearing exercise decided that "those boxes of old toys where a waste of space" and kindly donated them to my cousins kid(s) thinking i was all grown up now and had no need or desire to want my "old toys" affraid ..... i remind her of it quite a bit lol I was 20 when i moved out , 23 when i returned and 8 when she told me what she had done!!! lol i sulked for days .....

Incidentally, I "lost" (most in their original boxes but not in great condition -boxes that is- if memory serves me right) my AT-AT , Falcon, Transporter,Degobah,Tie fighter,Imperial shuttle,mini rigs and some figures......thankfully (or little consolation ,they (mum n dad n younger sisters) left the smaller shoe boxes alone (figures,speeder bikes,jabba,sy snootles etc) so i manage to atleast salvage something.

morale of the story, never assume your parents know why you kept your old toys!!
head bang
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your vintage mishaps...   Your vintage mishaps... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your vintage mishaps...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-