The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Found a DT Luke!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

@Tim Vader wrote:
Here are some side by side pics with his other DT Luke. The color is off, but if its a fake, they did a great job of copying it! The tree breaks are in the same spots, the length is the exact same, other than the darker coloration, they look identical to me, other than his having a letter on the hilt! I dont see a raised bump anywhere on the hilt, I am going to ask if they float

Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 2ef3c2af
Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 431f8dff
Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 Cf665544
Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 30f43072
Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 2e035ed2

I hate to say this, but IMO it's fake. The one he's comping it to seems genuine but not this one. To me the second picture is the silver bullet. The inner saber lacks some of the details that a real one has. Also the break points don't match up at all. The real tell tale sign would be a top pic of the outer saber in question. One where we can see the breaks. also the lack of a bump on the hilt is a bad sign as well.

I'd be curious to see what Bill says but I think I've seen enough to have some very serious doubts. If it were me I would walk away from it. If the seller balks then see if he will agree to having it authenticated by CIB or Tom Derby.

I'm sorry mate. Sad
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:13 am

Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 Bddecd2f
I thought the break points lined up OK in the pics. Its hard to tell because they are so blurry, I agree.

We emailed the pics to Bill M, so hopefully he can say its either real, send it and I can check it out in person. or no, its definitely a fake.

I will say that if it is fake, the seller definitely believes its real, and he is not trying to scam me. he has been more than helpful in every way

onetofivedayauctions just listed a DT, but I just saw some of his feedback. Yeesh!
Back to top Go down
jason11272stacey
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
jason11272stacey

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 am

hi buddy i must agree with chris that does look fake mate sorry Angry SW Crying or Very sad i would leave well alone if i was you but that is just me

the one that onetofivedayauctions has just listed looks real both parts but if you look closely the tip off the inner saber has broke off it is too short
and that effects value by loads buddy

jase Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:46 am

Ok after seeing those pictures i am not convinced either. (read: i wouldn't buy it).

The Pale one he is using to compare with, is defenitly real. Maybe you can get him to sell that one to you.
Back to top Go down
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 am

The Saber looks like a very very good copy. It's just the colour that looks off in my opinion - I've never seen one that bright - the plastic looks too new. If it is a fake I think its scary how authentic it looks. Even the wear and tear on the saber adds to the authentic look.

Just a thought here but any chance it can be checked under UV light, if it fluoresces then that a very positive indicator. I've got a feeling it won't though. Sad

With regards to the figure the DT Luke can be found with both 2 lines and 3 lines Hong Kong COO but I believe the 2 lines is usually found in the Earlybird baggie and the 3 lines is usually found on 12 back card. So the COO is fine!

However all DT Luke's from baggies with 2 lines that i have seen have the brown face paint apps and belt. Not black. So in my opinion I dont think the figure matches up with a DT saber.

I'd say too many red flags so stay away. You have to also think that when (or if) it comes to selling it on you may receive the same hesitation from buyers!
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 9:13 am

All very good points, and I have a lot to consider here. I didnt think the plastic looked all that new personally. The pics that I have mulled over for hours seemed pretty dirty and fragile. I have quite a few figures that adrkened with age, just as I have a lot that have lightened up and faded, so I cant say either way that the color is a deciding factor.

We are still going to send it to get checked out before any more money is transferred, its safer for the both of us. As I said, the seller is being very cooperative and believes it to be legit.

He also sent an email asking me if a bump on the hilt was good or bad, apparently it does have one

Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 8fdf4321

Either way, real or fake, there is a lot of info coming from this oddball that I am sure will be beneficial to the community as a whole. If its real, we will learn that they can in fact get darker with age, if its fake, we have a lot of tell tale signs of someone REALLY doing a good job and adding small details to throw us off.

Why does this have to be so hard, I just want a DT, hahaha head bang head bang
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 am

Yes, DT's can have a bump. At least from my experience.

It's also not JUST the color. Grant it, the color is one factor, but the break points don't look right, the inner saber definitely doesn't look right and the size looks off (at least to me it does). There are many other identifying features of a true DT. And at this point, I think it's best to either A) walk away or B) have it authenticated (as you seem to have agreed upon with the seller).

Like I said, fake DT's have been around for YEARS. And if you don't know what to look for, they can be very convincing.

Has Bill seen the new pics yet?
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 am

I had this exact saber & problem maybe a year ago? I don't want to remember honestly, this thing is fake. I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this saber on RS as well...the exact same saber. Like I posted earlier NO ONE thought this thing was real.
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 am

Bill is CC'd on all of the emails, he said he will check them all out tonight.

He did say that he has seen bright yellow to almost ivory white DTs so just based on the color alone, he cant say either way. He also stated that the break point on the top portion of the inner saber is a good thing since its possible that it was broken off of the sprue.

Hopefully all of this will be resolved in the next few days. I want to fill that empty slot on my display!

Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Verdict is in on DT   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Well, Bill emailed us back just a few minutes ago and the verdict is in

Unfortunately, now I have to shell out money on the DT because it IS LEGIT!

He said he has the same saber in his collection as a reference, so this is awesome. I appreciate all of your input, I started doubting it after all the evidence against it starting piling up, but turns out there are a lot if variants to this saber. I am still going to send it to him so he can photograph and document it and write up a COA.

Good news indeed!
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:12 pm

@Tim Vader wrote:
Well, Bill emailed us back just a few minutes ago and the verdict is in

Unfortunately, now I have to shell out money on the DT because it IS LEGIT!

He said he has the same saber in his collection as a reference, so this is awesome. I appreciate all of your input, I started doubting it after all the evidence against it starting piling up, but turns out there are a lot if variants to this saber. I am still going to send it to him so he can photograph and document it and write up a COA.

Good news indeed!

Well that's great news then! If Bill signs off on it, then that's pretty good.

I apologize for jumping the gun on that. Sorry to cause you concern mate. Glad it worked out for you in the end!

Great pick up!
Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm

No worries man, there were bad pics and red flags flying all over. I'm glad you guys were looking out for me.

Back to top Go down
Tim Vader
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Tim Vader

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am

And now, I have 2 DT Lukes. I dont think I am keeping both of them, but the way it all happened was a little messed up, lol

I was in negotiations with the first one and EVERYTHING was pointing to fake, so I figured I had at least a week or so till Bill would be able to get it in and verify it. One popped up on ebay with a BIN of 350, I threw an offer of 250 on it and he accepted. Literally MINUTES later, I got an email from Bill with its authenticity. The first one (the questionable one) is the earlier "circles" variant, the second is a JJ variant.

Apparently the JJ belonged to someone here who got ripped off when he sold it to this guy, then got his money back...I found all of this put AFTER I placed a bid mind you, so to me it has bad ju-ju!

oddly enough, this morning I had a bunch of figures toppled over in my display case and he seems to be a culprit. Coincidence? Maybe. Bad karma? Maybe. Possessed doll of satan? Unlikely, but it makes for a good story

Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 Fcab5266
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found a DT Luke!   Found a DT Luke! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found a DT Luke!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-