The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:12 pm

What I want to see now is the negative side of things. We've seen all the pros so far, lets get some cons thrown in here. This is the Great Debate, isnt it? We're all grown ups, we can take it as well as dish it. Very Happy I want to see a nice debate going on with this.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:17 pm

@Chris_J wrote:
What I want to see now is the negative side of things. We've seen all the pros so far, lets get some cons thrown in here. This is the Great Debate, isnt it? We're all grown ups, we can take it as well as dish it. Very Happy I want to see a nice debate going on with this.

I was actually thinking the same thing. TIG is getting to be a big place yet we haven't heard from a lot of folks. Especially some of the "newer" members.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 pm

@Chopper wrote:
My "snippy little comment" has been taken out of context. It was tounge in cheek at best and was jestingly proposed to try and make a bit of a joke out of the situation. I dont take things too seriously when it comes to collecting as it is such a subjective focus for all of us.

I am a grown man who collect little plastic (in some cases fake rubber) men made in the 70's and 80's, how the hell can any one take me seriously !!!

The work done here to try and stop people getting shafted by greedy mo'fos on Ebay is awesome and greatly appreciated. Even by a snippy little shit like me !!!

I said I thought I misread it and figured I might have. So I apologize for letting it get my panties in a binde.

And you can't take the fake rubber moniker away from the bootleg folks. No matter how hard you try! Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:22 pm

The 4Tards???? Is that some inner circle thingie Andy Wink Time to get shirts made.

Chopper said something above just now I agree with alot. And have said it many times myself. Why be so serious? We do collect piles a plastic toys for fun. And in mine and Chris Js cases tons of paper as well. I try to approach all my collecting and any hobby i do with a non-serious attitude. It is for relaxation after all.

And yes Andy, Vader is over rated. But I think Fett is too. IGGY RULES!!!!!
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 pm

@RebelChris wrote:
@Chopper wrote:
My "snippy little comment" has been taken out of context. It was tounge in cheek at best and was jestingly proposed to try and make a bit of a joke out of the situation. I dont take things too seriously when it comes to collecting as it is such a subjective focus for all of us.

I am a grown man who collect little plastic (in some cases fake rubber) men made in the 70's and 80's, how the hell can any one take me seriously !!!

The work done here to try and stop people getting shafted by greedy mo'fos on Ebay is awesome and greatly appreciated. Even by a snippy little shit like me !!!

I said I thought I misread it and figured I might have. So I apologize for letting it get my panties in a binde.

And you can't take the fake rubber moniker away from the bootleg folks. No matter how hard you try! Wink Laughing

BOOTLEGS!!!!!!!! Where where!!!!!! Gimmie gimmie affraid cheers
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Wait. Did Chris just admit he wears panties?? thinking
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Wait a dang blamed minute! Dont be busting on bootlegs now. Evil or Very Mad Bad cop is inches away from being released for that. lol!
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm

@kisstour03 wrote:
Wait. Did Chris just admit he wears panties?? thinking

Pink polka dotted thong bitches!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 pm

TMFI, there Chris. That was one of those I didnt need to know things. No wonder you like the Jar. LOL
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:54 am

Great to see some humour back in this bitch!

Now the debate:

New stuff ... the only thing I collect are mail-aways. I just find there is too much to collect and most of it is not to my liking.
Old stuff ... it all rocks with the exception of bend-ems !!

To fuel the debate even more, I collect discoloured figures because they are different. Made from different plastics, from different conditions (sun / smoke /etc), variations if you will, without being variants!!!

:I am stupid:

Chris, you should Ebay those panties of yours !
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 am

Chopper said- "To fuel the debate even more, I collect discoloured figures because they are different. Made from different plastics, from different conditions (sun / smoke /etc), variations if you will, without being variants!!!"

Chopper, that's called hoarding. I'm sure someone in your family is concerned and can call A&E and get you on Hoarders or Buried Alive to get you some help. Smile Wink

And Chris I'll never be able to think about a thong the same ever ever again. Must bleach brain now.
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 am

It seems like there are two separate issues behind all of this.

The first one is rude and disrespectful people. Unfortunately, this is the reality of the internet (modern life in general, but it really comes out behind the anonymity of a computer.) I am a member of various forums and read quite a few different types of websites on a daily basis and this goes on everywhere. You can ban people, but new ones come along (often the same people with different usernames) It doesn't really make the problem go away.

The only way to avoid this is to have a closed community with new members added by invite only..

Another option is to have a private forum. When I used to run a Nike forum a few years ago, what we did is add a hidden forum for elite members, that wasn't even visible unless the admin added you as a member. This way the senior members who didn't want to get involved in the uglier day to day stuff on the main board, mainly just posted in there. This community would slowly expand as we monitored the main boards and after a while, we'd invite members who we felt deserved to be included.

I think one problem with communities based around hobbies is that sometimes people just slowly lose interest in/passion for the hobby. Their interest plateaus, they've learned most of the stuff they're interested in learning and don't enjoy it as much as they used to. Sometimes this can heighten the sense that the world is full of ignorant noobs and that day to day discussion is boring and just covers well worn ground. It's possible to look at this as a decline in the community, it's members and the day to day nature of conversation, but maybe the same members, content and conversation seemed less tedious when you knew less and could relate to the other posters more.

Even for those that maintain their passion, I think the more you know, the more of an elite sort of group you place yourself in and the fewer people there will be who will be able to converse on your level or tell you anything new. Again maybe this suggests that there should be some kind of an elite sub-community (instead of driving these people away)? For the ones that wish to continue to participate in the main boards they can (and their presence will be greatly appreciated by the rest of us.)

The second thing is the issue of areas of interest and their appears to be a great dividing line between people who are and people who aren't interested in variants. This one could easily be solved by having a 'variants' section of the forum and keeping all discussion of variants therein. This would not only keep the general discussion area clear for those who have no interest in it. It would make finding threads/info on variants a lot easier. Within that section, if each figure (i.e. Han Hoth) had it's own thread this would simplify things a great deal I think. I realise that even if you set the forum up this way, people wouldn't stick to it completely (they never do; human nature) but I still think it could be a big improvement and solve two problems at once.

@RebelChris wrote:

Jeremy, I think this is an excellent point to make. I think a lot of folks however, don't do the research and just ask the question. When, in fact, if they looked a little bit, they would find that their same question was asked three topics below them. However, there are cases when you simply can't find what you are looking for. I think a simple way to go about that would be to preface your question with "I have looked all over the place for X and I just can't find it..." or "I have found X, Y and Z information, but it doesn't really answer my specific question, so I thought I would ask...". I think that would show a lot of people that you at least tried.

I'm not singling you out for this Jeremy, I'm just using your example to illustrate a point. I hope you don't take it that way. Very Happy

This makes total sense and is something I shall make a much greater effort to do in the future. Don't get me wrong, I am not pretending that every question I've asked was researched at great length first. There are times, when you're not really sure where to start and you suspect that there are a lot of people who could answer your question in an instant that it feels like a reasonable thing to do (especially when you often do the research and then end up asking anyway.) Although I appreciate, I should have thought more about cluttering up the board with dull/duplicate content.

When you have done the research and come up short, to then explain the research you did feels like it's just adding to the time spent and frustration. Although, looking at it from someone else's point of view, I completely accept that it muct be frustrating to feel the board is being clogged up with questions, from people that appear to have made no effort themselves and just expect answers. In future I will make a much greater effort to explain myself. (I have a question I need to ask later today, that I tried hard to answer for myself.)

@wbobafett wrote:

Well JJ....I told that "version" a thousand times I know....but I wasnt struggeling because I couldnt handle it or get it done....I struggeled because I hadnt the strength.....and I hadnt the strenght because a huge part of the community simply doesnt deserve it!
Sounds hard...but its a fact! I havent ripped of my ass for a bunch of unteachable and on the other side variant hating peeps!

Thats all......I am just in the middle of this whole issue. I feel like one of the last specimen of a dying spieces! I have to "fight" on both sides.......getting the variant people to common sense and getting the non-variant people to tolerant variants! Thats a fight that cant be won...on both frontiers and I am tired of this! Thats why there is and never will be a variant guide...a new coo guide.....etc......

I am doing small guides now...for friends....nothing more! Sharing completely out of all forums!

Thats sad...but its the "community" that brought me to it!

I have to be honest...I only use the forums for classifieds and pms.....reading and commenting goes to zero...like a lot of people do...and that has a reason!

This makes me profoundly sad, but I do understand your position completely (and can imgaine that I would probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes.) I still think you should consider finishing the project and actually charging for it. (I would gladly pay top dollar for it as I know it has been an incredible undertaking) Perhaps you could give it for free to the long serving/senior members and your close friends and sell it to the rest of us. (I know that there are a number of logistical hurdles here, as there are with everything in the age of file sharing, but it seems like there must be ways of seeing you rewarded for your efforts?)

@wbobafett wrote:

on a sidenote: Jermey is one of the good ones. You can always ask me whatever you want JJ Wink

I appreciate this enormously and just want to add that Wolff has been great to me since day 1, for which I can't thank him enough!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Chopper
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 am

Aussie = WTF is A&E?

This is a genetic disorder, my father has sheds full of the most bizarre crap you can imagine!!

Discobob: Bloody great post, props
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 11:03 am

@Chopper wrote:
Aussie = WTF is A&E?

'Accident & Emergency' (What we call a hospital emergency ward.)

@Chopper wrote:

Discobob: Bloody great post, props

Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 pm

A&E is a television channel. Arts & Entertainment.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 pm

@GanjaFett wrote:

And finally to Wolff...

Man, you have so much knowleage and a massive collection. If I were you, it would please me endlessly to create an ultimate guide and keep it updated as a service to the community, and yes I know there are tons of assbags that will benefit from it, but the collectors that keep it "real" will love it and new collectors could learn from it.

Are you sure you would be pleased??? After all I get to hear every day on several forums??? I dont think so...honestly....not disrespecting your opinion or sth like that, because there were times I thought like you...times I enjoyed beeing here...in chat...or reading threads.

These times are over....sad...but true. This is my own perspective! I feel like a service guy I think.....Im just on all boards to get things right, corrected or sorted (talking about licensed loose). Its been a damn long time I learned sth new from reading threads. I have invested.....oh boy....I dont know....7000-10000 hours on reading and learning and studying vintage loose figures....double that for searching them.

I just have not the strenght to help out 50 people that would like, anjoy and really need such a guide, whereas I see hundreds of people who will a) not deserve it b) dont like it because it came from me.

The MAIN problem I would have with a guide like that: See how my old coo guide can be used! The auctions on evilbay with wrong LL figures but correct coos boomed since I firstly introduced the coo guide! And there is so much more examples how uneductaed people can use it wrong and get scammed.

Who could handle a guide like that??? Very less people Im afraid.....

And last but not least: The coo guide never became a sticky on RS. You know why? People always laughed about this reference research.....nobody over there from the longtimers ever took me serious! This all makes me thinking I am totally the wrong guy to do that. I have enough fighting on both frontiers.
If a section of the hobby (variant collecting) has so much disagreement, so much decline of knowledge, so much envoiusness and so less in common and is so splitted.....it just doesnt make sense anymore IMO.

Take i.e. the bootlegers: You are a group. You fight together for the acceptance of bootlegs....you tolerate very "small" bootleger.....you tolerate polish 1gen haters also as mexican SA lovers! You know what I mean.....its a "union"...you do stick to eachother.....and thats what missing in the variant section. We have no leader...w have no group....we have no union.....thats why we are the most laughed at section!!

I dont know if any of this does make sense...or if anybody understands me.......maybe people would do that are gone by now.......

Last edited by wbobafett on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 pm

[quote="wbobafett"]
@cantina_patron wrote:

I know Rebel Scum has lost a lot of its 'experts', & I would hate to see this site go the same way.

It has already happend.....some are gone...some stopped collecting.....some were just driven away:

- Joe_O
- The Admiral
- Idefix13
- vintageSWfan (Dan)
- Plantman
- thegame-sw

Lee_M, Capetown, Del, Spoons, Shawn_K, Hyver barely posting here!

Did I miss someone?? Probably a lot.....doesnt matter....we miss a lot of people here IMO!!!

I'm sorry to hear that. You can expect some people to move on or take a break, but to be driven away by the actions of the ignorant few is terrible!
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:49 pm

@wbobafett wrote:

Take i.e. the bootlegers: You are a group. You fight together for the acceptance of bootlegs....you tolerate very "small" bootleger.....you tolerate polish 1gen haters also as mexican SA lovers! You know what I mean.....its a "union"...you do stick to eachother.....and thats what missing in the variant section. We have no leader...w have no group....we have no union.....thats why we are the most laughed at section!!

Wolff. There's a reason for the unity of the bootleg crowd. Retards get along well with each other. tongue

I get what you mean Wolff. I find alot of the SW community is divided the way you describe the variant collectors. We all collect plastic and it's all going to turn to goo someday. So really we're all collecting the same thing.

Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 pm

@RebelChris wrote:
This is what I get tired of, "yes I know it's discoloration/degrading/repainted/fake, but I like it and I'll collect what I want and don't care what anyone says".

It takes time to be welcomed into a community and you are going to have to take your lumps. If you don't understand what I mean, just ask Wolff about when he first joined RS (he'll kill me for telling the story, but it's one that bears repeating). He came in flying in the face of accepted hobby terms and practices, got shot down and even got into an argument with one of the hobbies oldest collectors. However, instead of turning away from collecting entirely, he took the advice of others and did his research! Now look at him! He's a respected member of the variant community and has developed a COO guide that we all use to this day!

Okay-okay. If someone is a Newbie here does not mean he is new to Vintage SW collecting - as you said so yourself. I would GLADLY CARE about what the Oldies have to say here to a Newbie, IF they would do it with SOME respect, at least. I have a problem with the style of some Old Clever Collectors here... The comments they make on my threads, or some other 'Newbie's' threads are not to my taste, that's all.

I am sorry, if I and some other New Guys made you upset... Still, you could make little bit more 'diplomatic' comments without ruining one's thread. I gave some rude answers, true. But the posts about me and the ones alike were not nice, either!

TRUE: it takes Time, Tolerance and Patience to accept new members, and also each other in a community. But maybe - if I may - someone is NOT an idiot just because asking Old Questions, raising "Old Topics"... SORRY in my name and the other Greens, Newbies, for not being able to read the earlier 300 or more pages of posts put on here in this Forum.

I am ready to accept advice if it is given the Proper Way.
Back to top Go down
http://swvintagevariants.blogspot.com/
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 12:57 pm

@wbobafett wrote:

Are you sure you would be pleased??? After all I get to hear every day on several forums??? I dont think so...honestly....not disrespecting your opinion or sth like that, because there were times I thought like you...times I enjoyed beeing here...in chat...or reading threads.

The MAIN problem I would have with a guide like that: See how my old coo guide can be used! The auctions on evilbay with wrong LL figures but correct coos boomed since I firstly introduced the coo guide! And there is so much more examples how uneductaed people can use it wrong and get scammed.

Who could handle a guide like that??? Very less people Im afraid.....

And last but not least: The coo guide never became a sticky on RS. You know why? People always laughed about this reference research.....nobody over there from the longtimers ever took me serious! This all makes me thinking I am totally the wrong guy to do that. I have enough fighting on both frontiers.
If a section of the hobby (variant collecting) has so much disagreement, so much decline of knowledge, so much envoiusness and so less in common and is so splitted.....it just doesnt make sense anymore IMO.

I dont know if any of this does make sense...or if anybody understands me.......maybe people would do that are gone by now.......

I agree with you Wolf. VARIANT COLLECTORS UNITE! :taz: :grr:
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:06 pm

@Hutthunter wrote:
@RebelChris wrote:
This is what I get tired of, "yes I know it's discoloration/degrading/repainted/fake, but I like it and I'll collect what I want and don't care what anyone says".

It takes time to be welcomed into a community and you are going to have to take your lumps. If you don't understand what I mean, just ask Wolff about when he first joined RS (he'll kill me for telling the story, but it's one that bears repeating). He came in flying in the face of accepted hobby terms and practices, got shot down and even got into an argument with one of the hobbies oldest collectors. However, instead of turning away from collecting entirely, he took the advice of others and did his research! Now look at him! He's a respected member of the variant community and has developed a COO guide that we all use to this day!

Okay-okay. If someone is a Newbie here does not mean he is new to Vintage SW collecting - as you said so yourself. I would GLADLY CARE about what the Oldies have to say here to a Newbie, IF they would do it with SOME respect, at least. I have a problem with the style of some Old Clever Collectors here... The comments they make on my threads, or some other 'Newbie's' threads are not to my taste, that's all.

I am sorry, if I and some other New Guys made you upset... Still, you could make little bit more 'diplomatic' comments without ruining one's thread. I gave some rude answers, true. But the posts about me and the ones alike were not nice, either!

TRUE: it takes Time, Tolerance and Patience to accept new members, and also each other in a community. But maybe - if I may - someone is NOT an idiot just because asking Old Questions, raising "Old Topics"... SORRY in my name and the other Greens, Newbies, for not being able to read the earlier 300 or more pages of posts put on here in this Forum.

I am ready to accept advice if it is given the Proper Way.

Atta- if you are going to quote me, quote the whole thing. You missed the part where I explained myself and why it was upsetting.

@RebelChris wrote:

That just gets under my skin! Not because they are collecting what they want, but because by saying "I don't care what anyone says" they are automatically tuning out a whole community of help and advice! I haven't met a single person that is trying to tell someone else how to collect. There is a collector on RS right now that collect's paint app error figures and one that collects reject/damaged loose figures. And look at me, I collect Jar Jar Binks FFS! Sure, go ahead and collect what you want, no one cares. However, what people care about is helping and educating newer collectors. I can't speak for everyone, but I know it's upsetting to me to see a new collector come in, showcasing a figure that isn't anything more than a degraded figure, and finding out he paid 100's of dollars for it! To me, with a little bit of homework or asking some questions before hand, he could have saved himself a lot of money.

No one is saying anyone is an idiot for being a new collector. All they are saying is have some respect when different opinions are brought to the table. I've seen you personally get pissy with a mod (of all people) because he disagreed with your post and he did so politely.

I will agree that patience is a key part of this, but like I said earlier, it's a two way street. You need patience when dealing with new collectors and new collectors need patience when they get advice. I think that's the crux of the situation as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 pm

@Chopper wrote:
Great to see some humour back in this bitch!

Now the debate:

New stuff ... the only thing I collect are mail-aways. I just find there is too much to collect and most of it is not to my liking.
Old stuff ... it all rocks with the exception of bend-ems !!

To fuel the debate even more, I collect discoloured figures because they are different. Made from different plastics, from different conditions (sun / smoke /etc), variations if you will, without being variants!!!

:I am stupid:

Chris, you should Ebay those panties of yours !

YOU ARE THE MAN! lol! This is what I am talking about. I appreciate and respect Legitime Pure c10 Kenner figures. Absolutely. But after having the Complete Collection of Kenner Two Times (except for Blue Snaggie and 3-legged R2) I just gut bored of them. Everyone CAN go ahead and collect ONLY Flawless and MINT loose figures according to the Kenner standard. But I am not interested in ALL of them now, only SOME - my favorites - and I want my favorites is many different "versions" (not variants).

ELITE-fans: yep, what do you have to say about bootleg collectors, if we, discolored-collectors are "insane"? 50 or 80 USD for a CRAPPY Mexican bootleg? I am NOT against bootleggers, far from it. But I don't see why is it OK to collect crap-quality but colourful Bootlegs, and NOT OK to collect discolored or re-painted (BUT still Not crap-quality) Kenner figures? Also, I learned from some of my mistakes. Some other figures of mine I do not consider mistakes (I have a very few discolored ones anyway), because BOTH with Bootlegs and with Degraded Ones the thing that counts is the Difference! The difference from the Original figure that we ALL know, and We, Variant Fans already find boring...

SO: Variant Fans: JOIN ME and with our Combined Strength... Angry SW :I am stupid:
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Wolf:Very sad to hear how you feel but everything comes to an end and when you have been around for a long time its hard to dont be the teacher.But a teacher should be treathed with respect

At the end of the day it is knowledge and sharing it with others that makes you gonna be the "SUPERCOLLECTOR" in serious collectors eyes.

btw
Let people ask all noob questions in a "fast answers thread" Very Happy , at our swedish forum you dont even have to registrate a user to ask

just my 2cents

Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:36 pm

@RebelChris wrote:

Atta- if you are going to quote me, quote the whole thing. You missed the part where I explained myself and why it was upsetting.

No one is saying anyone is an idiot for being a new collector. All they are saying is have some respect when different opinions are brought to the table. I've seen you personally get pissy with a mod (of all people) because he disagreed with your post and he did so politely.

I will agree that patience is a key part of this, but like I said earlier, it's a two way street. You need patience when dealing with new collectors and new collectors need patience when they get advice. I think that's the crux of the situation as a whole.

I read your entire post, so i didn't feel it is necesary to quote the Whole post again. Your explanation is of course important and I agree with that. NOT good to pay out a large sum of money for a figure you would not have bought if you knew it is a fake or degraded. But of course You - all the early Members of this Community - should first of all be upset at the scammer sellers, not us, who were the victims of a scammer. In other cases we buy degraded figures intentionally, because we like the different colors.

FINAL WORD: TRUE, it is a two-way road, two-way communication! So we, Newbies - and I especially - must be more tolerant and Respectful to the advice of the Old Republic Knights, this I will keep in mind, but Old Knights should also show a little respect to a less-experienced collector. AND to different collecting goals, targets. In short: I AGREE! cheers cheers

lol!

VERY FINALLY: I think it is very good to have friendly advice from other, more experienced collectors, but IMO 'teachers' are not needed. We are not at school here. Wink
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm

@yeah-sus wrote:

Wolf:Very sad to hear how you feel but everything comes to an end and when you have been around for a long time its hard to dont be the teacher.But a teacher should be treathed with respect

At the end of the day it is knowledge and sharing it with others that makes you gonna be the "SUPERCOLLECTOR" in serious collectors eyes.

btw
Let people ask all noob questions in a "fast answers thread" Very Happy , at our swedish forum you dont even have to registrate a user to ask

A New Collector's (new and/or new to TIG) FAQ would be great help! cheers cheers

IMO: Bootleggers, Variant Fans - to treat them well should mean sg like treating/tolerating people with different hair colors or different religion (just examples, NOT subjects of debate). We LOVE the same plastic stuff, just by different ways. AGREED? yoda

Last edited by Hutthunter on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-