The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 pm

@Hutthunter wrote:
@yeah-sus wrote:

Wolf:Very sad to hear how you feel but everything comes to an end and when you have been around for a long time its hard to dont be the teacher.But a teacher should be treathed with respect

At the end of the day it is knowledge and sharing it with others that makes you gonna be the "SUPERCOLLECTOR" in serious collectors eyes.

btw
Let people ask all noob questions in a "fast answers thread" Very Happy , at our swedish forum you dont even have to registrate a user to ask

A New Collector's (new and/or new to TIG) FAQ would be great help! cheers cheers

You mean, like this one that's stickied to the top of this very forum?
Star Wars Collecting 101 Q&A Thread

Last edited by RebelChris on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Exactly Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 pm

@RebelChris wrote:

You mean, like this one that's stickied to the top of this very forum?

https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t832-star-wars-collecting-101-qa-thread

Ummm... I haven't seen it yet. Let me check it, please. affraid What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://swvintagevariants.blogspot.com/
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm

@Hutthunter wrote:

I read your entire post, so i didn't feel it is necesary to quote the Whole post again. Your explanation is of course important and I agree with that. NOT good to pay out a large sum of money for a figure you would not have bought if you knew it is a fake or degraded. But of course You - all the early Members of this Community - should first of all be upset at the scammer sellers, not us, who were the victims of a scammer. In other cases we buy degraded figures intentionally, because we like the different colors.

FINAL WORD: TRUE, it is a two-way road, two-way communication! So we, Newbies - and I especially - must be more tolerant and Respectful to the advice of the Old Republic Knights, this I will keep in mind, but Old Knights should also show a little respect to a less-experienced collector. AND to different collecting goals, targets. In short: I AGREE! cheers cheers

lol!

VERY FINALLY: I think it is very good to have friendly advice from other, more experienced collectors, but IMO 'teachers' are not needed. We are not at school here. Wink

I'm confused at what you are getting at here. Are you mad that you spent the money or that you were scammed into spending the money?

IF you would've asked the question of "hey guys, I just found this on ebay, does anyone know what it is as I've never seen it before". We could've stopped you from spending $71 on a degraded figure being sold by one of the biggest scammers in the SW hobby.
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 2:06 pm

@RebelChris wrote:

I'm confused at what you are getting at here. Are you mad that you spent the money or that you were scammed into spending the money?

IF you would've asked the question of "hey guys, I just found this on ebay, does anyone know what it is as I've never seen it before". We could've stopped you from spending $71 on a degraded figure being sold by one of the biggest scammers in the SW hobby.

NOPE. I am NOT mad. I still am happy with my figure. Joe_O got mad about it... And when I bought that I was not an Active Member of TIG Forum. I registered almost a year earlier, but I did not follow the threads. Only from last October on. That is why I did not ask it. So I am not mad because of this purchase. It might have been expensive a bit, bit it is cool (for me) and I like it! It is cute. geek

101 Q & A: Yes, something similar, but a More General one. You know, what newbies can read without asking questions. It is very good, no doubt, but an FAQ might save you Moderators and experts a lot of time. (Just a suggestion.)

NEXT time I will ask if I have doubts or suspicions, or not sure about a figure. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm

@Hutthunter wrote:

101 Q & A: Yes, something similar, but a More General one. You know, what newbies can read without asking questions. It is very good, no doubt, but an FAQ might save you Moderators and experts a lot of time. (Just a suggestion.)

NEXT time I will ask if I have doubts or suspicions, or not sure about a figure. Thanks!!

Here you go

FAQ for common questions/problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm

@shawn_k wrote:
@Hutthunter wrote:

Here you go

FAQ for common questions/problems

Thank you very much! Great! cheers
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 3:07 pm

@Hutthunter wrote:
@Chopper wrote:
Great to see some humour back in this bitch!

Now the debate:

New stuff ... the only thing I collect are mail-aways. I just find there is too much to collect and most of it is not to my liking.
Old stuff ... it all rocks with the exception of bend-ems !!

To fuel the debate even more, I collect discoloured figures because they are different. Made from different plastics, from different conditions (sun / smoke /etc), variations if you will, without being variants!!!

:I am stupid:

Chris, you should Ebay those panties of yours !

YOU ARE THE MAN! lol! This is what I am talking about. I appreciate and respect Legitime Pure c10 Kenner figures. Absolutely. But after having the Complete Collection of Kenner Two Times (except for Blue Snaggie and 3-legged R2) I just gut bored of them. Everyone CAN go ahead and collect ONLY Flawless and MINT loose figures according to the Kenner standard. But I am not interested in ALL of them now, only SOME - my favorites - and I want my favorites is many different "versions" (not variants).

ELITE-fans: yep, what do you have to say about bootleg collectors, if we, discolored-collectors are "insane"? 50 or 80 USD for a CRAPPY Mexican bootleg? I am NOT against bootleggers, far from it. But I don't see why is it OK to collect crap-quality but colourful Bootlegs, and NOT OK to collect discolored or re-painted (BUT still Not crap-quality) Kenner figures? Also, I learned from some of my mistakes. Some other figures of mine I do not consider mistakes (I have a very few discolored ones anyway), because BOTH with Bootlegs and with Degraded Ones the thing that counts is the Difference! The difference from the Original figure that we ALL know, and We, Variant Fans already find boring...

SO: Variant Fans: JOIN ME and with our Combined Strength... Angry SW :I am stupid:

Well, it's OK to collect "crap quality" bootlegs because they came from the factory as they are painted. They're a huge part of the history of the toy line, and show the worldwide impact that the movies had, even in 3rd world and Soviet Bloc nations. It's not plastic or paint degradation that makes them collectable it's a combo of the history and the cheese factor.
I WISH Rolling Eyes that I could find some of the figures I currently need for as little as $50 to $80... Add a zero to that and that's where my current want list has me spending.

I have no issue at all with actual variation collectors(or people that make fun custom figures), they're not my thing, but people like Wollf have gone above and beyond to document REAL variations, and that is a huge service to the overall community. Sadly people that consider fading and custom painted junk to be variations only serves to dumb down the hobby and mud up all of the hard work that true variation collectors have done.If you want to collect CUSTOMS or damaged figures, knock yourself out, but don't call a custom painted or sun damaged figure a variation and expect to be taken seriously by anyone that isn't an absolute moron. Just the same as one shouldn't call a custom created figure a bootleg, and expect to be taken seriously by the bootleg community.

Basically collect how/what you want (as long as it isn't damaging to the community.... Mad "U" know what I mean) BUT call it what it really is. Crappy home painted figs are NOT variations. Sun bleached worn out figures are NOT variations.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm also sad that people are feeling this way about leaving TIG and until recently I had stopped posting on TIG because I didn't want to contribute to this very thing.

I think you should be able to collect what you want as long as its and you know what your buying.

Here's my story on how I got in to SW again, I had a nice collection when I was young but sold it on ebay a few years back. I joined SWF in October a couple of years back I think, and then stumbled on to the variants game. I wasn't really getting the answers I was looking for so joined here around November the same year. I found loads off collectors, new and old and all in to this variant game(I thought) and they all seemed very happy to answer my questions.

I decided to share my lime lite and every time I won a new Lot it seemed I had loads of new variants I could add, when trying to I.D these I kept stumbling across information that was contradicting what I'd originally thought these figures where. So I decided I'd try and help out the community and get some of this wrong info corrected so I started adding the cardback information to my collection, once I'd seen it with my own eyes that is.

Another year down the Line and I find out about degradation and that a 1/3 of my collection where only variant because of discoloration, I was aware of stormys turning yellow and the like before but had no Idea of the full affects of this degradation businesses.

I was very thankful for that personally and only wished I'd known this earlier as I could have saved a lot of time and money as I only ever wanted good original figures in my collection.

I always thought I was being respectful, at least until I was disrespected. Respect works both ways.

I've had a few good Ideas on production and the distribution of figures, even more bad ones but that's all they are and there all open for discussion on the forum.

Some one mentioned a section for Variant Talk, great idea IMO
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks for posting before me Joe Y. I was counting to 10 before responding to Hutt when I came to your post. You covered it pretty well. I think I was heading towards a banning with what I had in mind. You saved me.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Hutty, let me explain something about what you said about the older guys posts to the newer guys. You can ask any of the new guys if you want, Ill give you the names of them to ask. Everytime they asked a question I answered it was in a calm response. Whether it was in a thread or in a pm. Not once did I jump anyones case about what they asked. When I did, it was because they did it first, like you did. I gave my opinion on something of yours and you went all apeshit over it. Now, if you want, you can ask snaggletooth, kisstour03, Sith Noob, stevefdwyer, pomse, frunkstar, etc. about how I commented on their questions and what the end result was. I know me and Frank went at it for a min, but now its all good. Why? becuase he realized what it was I was saying to him. Just like the others I mentioned. Steve asked me a question on the VCJ in pm and I answered him like I normally do, in a calm reasonable manner. And Steve is a new guy all the way. Guys like me, JoeO and Y, Wolff, and the others will answer any question the new guys have if its asked right. But when you get a comment that you didnt want to hear, theres no need in acting like the way you do. Im all for collect what you want to, but dont say something is a variant when its not. Theres enough miss-information out there now that we are trying to correct. But when theres guys coming in here and want to bitch and moan saying we dont know what we are talking about when it comes to figures, no wonder we get an attitude back. Once you sit back and think about what was said and take it with a grain of salt, use it for a learning experiance, not a reason to want to jump guys who are trying to help you out. I could care less if you were collecting for 1 year to 20 years, we all learn something new.

Scott, theres no reason in stop posting. At least with you and the ones I mentioned above, you guys actually think about whats said and try to use that info we give to understand a bit more.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 pm

@Chris_J wrote:

Scott, theres no reason in stop posting. At least with you and the ones I mentioned above, you guys actually think about whats said and try to use that info we give to understand a bit more.

I realize that now Chris, thanks. Its just the feeling I was picking up at the time, all the info you've helped me out with is greatly appreciated too.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 pm

No sweat, Scott. Just stay level-headed like you are. You might even earn your Cool Newbie badge yet. lol!
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Hey Chris, you helped me very much in that situation with VCJ. Your advice was very appreciated and still is : ) I have learned so much from the more experienced collectors like yourself. I came onto the site with my head spinning. I wanted everything NOW and did not understand you had to really research the information provided before buying something that someone told you was "the real deal". I have asked advice from many of the long time members here. I probably have been a real pain in the ass too. My apologies for that. AJ told me a couple times when I was searching for a DT Luke to calm down, slow down and things will happen. He also mentioned making friends on here and with time I would learn. He was right on!!!!! I still may annoy people with my questions, my silly paintings, my limelights of my Mecc Fetts : ) but I'm trying hard to give something back to the community in a respectful way. I hope some of those things have made the long time members happy. I really think it always comes down to respect. I am a Special Education Teacher. I help Seniors in high School graduate that are credit deficient. The main thing I try to teach them is, what comes around, goes around. If you work hard, and you are nice to others, they will certainly be nice back, and good things will happen.....
Again, I admit I have a ton to learn, but the little I do know I would be more then happy to share with others that want to learn and give on to others.... I read what Wolff said about feeling a sort of pressure to help so many. I thought about that for awhile and I think it must be hard to be put in that position. Everyone with a variant question writing him. I wrote him several times and feel bad about that now, but I will say I was sincere with my questions and he never walked away from my questions. He always helped! Also, it's a shame Joe is not posting here now. He inspired me with his help educating me on Meccano Fetts which is my passion now. He wrote me without me even contacting him. I really think a lot of him and wish he would reconsider his decision and come back. What I'm trying to say is their are a lot of GREAT souls on this site and I'm thankful for their supportive help. Again, it all comes down to respect and I want to end by saying I really appreciate everything I've learned here, thank you..... Sorry for the book.
-Steve
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 8:01 pm

@Chris_J wrote:
No sweat, Scott. Just stay level-headed like you are. You might even earn your Cool Newbie badge yet. lol!

Not to sure about that, there's still a million questions I haven't posted yet Laughing Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm

@snaggletooth wrote:
@Chris_J wrote:

Not to sure about that, there's still a million questions I haven't posted yet Laughing Rolling Eyes

Damn, just when you were doing good, mate. Now you got demoted to the Half-ass Newbie badge. Razz J/K, Scott.

Steve, you nailed the main point down with your post. No matter how much you think you know, you still dont know everything. I even admitted Im still learning things in every hobby Im into, comics, figures, stamps, etc. Theres just so much out there to learn that you never will. But while you are learning what you can, enjoy it. If you can enjoy it yourself, the next guy can also. But once you get that one bad apple in the bunch, the whole bushell spoils with it. And as for your Mecc Fett thread, that was cool to read. That was probally some info that might not have been public knowledge before. Keep it up and that thread will be one of those people link to when asked about that figure.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm encouraged to hear there is lots of help being offered and given! Not that I ever doubted that fact!

I would like to continue discussions on how to move forward with frustrating/repeating topics. Whether that's noting the thread and pointing the offending poster to the established thread, or by alerting a mod to do that step. We are very easy going and flexible but we need your thoughts, ideas and opinions on how to move forward. We can't be everywhere all the time so we need the communities help. We are all ears!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Chris, read my post in the other thread about a variation section. I think the one I said in it would work, pointing the OP to the main thread started and move that post to it. And do a sticky to the links for each one thats up and running.
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 10:21 pm

I just wrote Chris_J about being nervous to make this comment but I'll post it and hope it doesn't sound too stupid....
My thoughts are to send a forum wide email suggesting everyone to use the "search" engine, on TIG, first, looking for information to educate themselves, before starting a new thread asking the question. If they can't find the answer in 24 hours then ask the community. This could be a highlighted rule when new members join also. They could make this point the most important and at the top of the list of rules for new members..... Not sure if this helps but it's a baby step forward.... Maybe this is already a rule and I just don't remember. Forgive me for that.
-Steve
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 pm

What a complicated situation. Ok, so I understand it may make it hard for new members to follow this rule so here is another idea...
I think the new coo chart Wolff has been working on would help tremendously for any coo questions. I just saw the Fett new coo chart a few days ago. I had been looking at the old one. Interesting, by doing that Wolff was able to bring to my and other's attention that the Mecc Fett has 2 smooth leg versions. Those charts were VERY helpful. If he was ok with posting it in a advertised area, that could help too.... and lessen the questions asked of origin.
As far as discoloration goes, I totally have no input on that. I understand the PBP white face variant but really have no knowledge past that. Again, a lot to learn I have : )
-Steve
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:06 am

@Joseph_Y wrote:

Well, it's OK to collect "crap quality" bootlegs because they came from the factory as they are painted. They're a huge part of the history of the toy line, and show the worldwide impact that the movies had, even in 3rd world and Soviet Bloc nations. It's not plastic or paint degradation that makes them collectable it's a combo of the history and the cheese factor.
I WISH Rolling Eyes that I could find some of the figures I currently need for as little as $50 to $80... Add a zero to that and that's where my current want list has me spending.

I have no issue at all with actual variation collectors(or people that make fun custom figures), they're not my thing, but people like Wollf have gone above and beyond to document REAL variations, and that is a huge service to the overall community. Sadly people that consider fading and custom painted junk to be variations only serves to dumb down the hobby and mud up all of the hard work that true variation collectors have done.If you want to collect CUSTOMS or damaged figures, knock yourself out, but don't call a custom painted or sun damaged figure a variation and expect to be taken seriously by anyone that isn't an absolute moron. Just the same as one shouldn't call a custom created figure a bootleg, and expect to be taken seriously by the bootleg community.

Basically collect how/what you want (as long as it isn't damaging to the community.... Mad "U" know what I mean) BUT call it what it really is. Crappy home painted figs are NOT variations. Sun bleached worn out figures are NOT variations.

Cheers
Joe

Feel better now? Now that you had your speech? Great! BOOTLEGS made in factories? HA-HA-HA. You are imagining things. Those bootlegs were not home-made, OK, but the places where they were made were FAR FROM factories. I was BORN and LIVED in the Eastern Block you mentioned. You know, what piece of "History" were the Hungarian bootlegs, for instance? OR the Polish ones? Terrible mementos of a Terrible Era. WE ALL hated them EVEN as children. Those crappy things reminded us how miserable and poor we were. We always dreamed about REAL good-quality Kenner figures to play with. But we had SHIT in our hands to play with!! Go ahead and admire them if you want. BUT to spend hundreds of dollars on THEM: now that is what I call stupidity. So, if you consider those a Piece of History, then respect our history and our suffering behind those "great" bootlegs. But you never experienced Anything like we did, dude! For you these low-quality fakes might be precious, BUT for us, who lived and lives here, they are the Simbol of Sadness and Poorness and Living Standard under a frog's ass (as we say).

OK, I WILL NOT call any degraded figures Variants. Fine. Anything else I can do for you?
YOU don't call those Bootlegs "valuable figures". Because they were made by greedy people to make easy money, good money from the least possible expenses. If you consider them a part of history: just WHOSE history was that? The history of the poor countries, maybe, BUT first of all: the history of scammers and fakers and cheaters wanting to get money for their shitty "products" we had to be "satisfied with" and play with. Hungarian crappy Legs are so loose even in "MINT" condition, that practically there is NO SUCH thing as "mint" in the case of any Bootlegs. The Polish boots were ALL made using either TIE pilot limbs or biker scout limbs. Probably they could not steal anything else, OR, more probably, this was the Cheapest way to produce those so-called "action figures". WHO wants to call a discolored figure a Bootleg? Where did you get it?

OK, the home-made re-paints are Custom figures, then. But WE really should NOT GO that Scientific about this entire hobby. They are simply plastic toys. BUT as you wish: I will NOT use the word variant if that irritates you or not 'Proper'.

Take the Time and check out my collection, and COUNT the degraded figures. About 8 or so. The other 250 or so are Real Variants. So WE, Variant Fans AND - for your sake and the Community's - Custom Fans happen to know what real variants are.

Have a nice day
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:21 am

The hobby has an accepted definition of a bootleg & that will not change . Not ALL Polish bootlegs had Tie pilot or Biker Scout limbs ( unarts etc..) Real variants also do not include repaints or fakes (ie. fake LL Squids Wink ) so if you can be bothered to read 300 pages of threads you might work that out too. Because it seems like you sure don't want to listen to people that have.
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:23 am

stevefdwyer wrote:
What a complicated situation. Ok, so I understand it may make it hard for new members to follow this rule so here is another idea...
I think the new coo chart Wolff has been working on would help tremendously for any coo questions. I just saw the Fett new coo chart a few days ago. I had been looking at the old one. Interesting, by doing that Wolff was able to bring to my and other's attention that the Mecc Fett has 2 smooth leg versions. Those charts were VERY helpful. If he was ok with posting it in a advertised area, that could help too.... and lessen the questions asked of origin.
As far as discoloration goes, I totally have no input on that. I understand the PBP white face variant but really have no knowledge past that. Again, a lot to learn I have : )
-Steve

Steve: you are correct. Let's try not to mix up Real Color variants with discolored figures. IF some of the experienced ones know
ALL discolored ones and CAN TELL them from ALL real color variants: congratulations for them. cheers
I am and some other 'new guys' here are not so wise yet. But eager to learn. I assure all of you. :grr:
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:35 am

@aussiejames wrote:
The hobby has an accepted definition of a bootleg & that will not change . Not ALL Polish bootlegs had Tie pilot or Biker Scout limbs ( unarts etc..) Real variants also do not include repaints or fakes (ie. fake LL Squids Wink ) so if you can be bothered to read 300 pages of threads you might work that out too. Because it seems like you sure don't want to listen to people that have.

We have already clarified these things, James. That is what I wrote: repaints or fakes will be called Customs or whatever. I don't think their name really matters anymore. They are NOT variants. I could perceive it.

Polish Bootlegs: I know them, I live near Poland. There were three "Generations". But unarticulated ones are not better, either.

Still, everybody feel free to collect them. No problem. But I wanted to point out I hate them and WHY I hate them.
So, the Point is: let us BE Careful with the technical term: variant. OK, guys! I believe we all perceived this.
Back to top Go down
Hutthunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Hutthunter

PostSubject: Okay, Chris   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:52 am

Chris J,

Firstly. OK, mate, I will not use the word 'variant' unless I know for sure that the given figure is a variant, or before asking some of you about it. Fair enough?

Secondly. WHO collects WHAT is everyone's OWN business. Probably it was a bad idea to post those pictures, but the EVIL Word was definitely "variant". Mea Culpa, mea Culpa Maxima.

My apologies to the Community for calling some figures by the wrong name, or more precisely: for putting them in the Wrong Category. I will be much more careful in the future. Thanks for your comment.

Yeah, perhaps I took some of those comments as a kind of offence. In some cases I might have been overreacting. But lets try to forget that and start with a New Blank Page. Agreed?

What a Face Stormie Smiley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want   The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The great debate. Old standby vs. collect whatever you want

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-