The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

How particular are you??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

How particular are you?? Empty
PostSubject: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 am

This topic has probably been covered more than once here. But meh. it's one of my random silly questions.

I was getting ready for work and got looking at my SW display. Who doesn't when getting ready to go to the grind?? Anyway I got looking at my figures and got to thinking about the various conditions my little group is in.

So I was wondering how particular everyone here is about the condition of their figures, do you care if they're complete, paint scuffed, etc etc.

My own answer is, as usual, all twists and turns and makes no sense outside my own brain. So here's how it breaks down for me.

Overall condition-First of all I try and remind myself that some of these figures are drawing closer to forty years old, GASP affraid COUGH COUGH. So they can't all be perfect. So I'm ok with a litttle schff here and a scratch there. As long as they don't look like they've been trampled in a Caribou stampede in Peekaboo Corner. Also I think some flaws in a figure tell a story and gives it character.I am, however, particular if a white firgure is nice and white. But I'm getting so that isn't a huge deal either.

Complete- Here's one that some collectors are mad as a bedbug over. For me it depends on the figure. Most of the figures in my colletion are complete. But a few aren't. I'll use my Obi-Wan as an example. Mine has no cape and no saber. It actually came as an extra a seller threw in with a Millennium Falcon. He's not exactly minty and like I said no accessories. I'll never bother getting his cape or saber, simply because the one I had as a kid didn't have his any more then a fwe months after he was bought. So it's kinda a memories thing with some figs. Ben had no accessories when I was a kid so it's ok to have none now on the shelf.

I guess the short answer would have been. "It depends on the figure and how much I like it. I'm more fussy about a IG-88 than I am about some stupid Ewok or Vader."

How about you guys?
Back to top Go down
yeah-sus
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
yeah-sus

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:11 am

I like my stuff nice and complete,but im so stupid that i buy beaters sometimes just too fill up a gap in the collection.

but at the end of the day its all about how much it costs and i have a hard time to enjoy things i have overpaid for.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:02 am

From a carded perspective (99% of my stuff) I have a small list of don'ts:

1)POP must be there
2)No partial reseals or reseals (I don't care how rare)
3)No Ink Touch Ups

Now I've got 2 itmes that break that rule but I'll upgrade at 1st chance. One was an EB Kit (missing POP) and Harbert Sandperson (small ink touch up on back)

Other than that, bring on cracked bubbbles and viens!! I'd rather have a kick ass beater 3 pack than 3 mint Klaatus!

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:05 am

On the whole I am not too particular.

For the most part I like figures in C8 or better conditon complete with orignal accessories. But for Rarer iyems such as Blu Snag VC Jawa and the POTF I prefer AFA Graded Stuff! Smile
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:16 am

I'm generally not that picky at all. MOC, loose, it doesn't matter. I just want my items in nice displayable shape. They always look better in acrylic anyway!

Most of my loose collection is leftover from my childhood collection that I've just completed with accessories over the years. Most have paint rubs, loose limbs, nicks, dents and scratches. The same can be said for my MOC, nicks, dings, yellow bubbles, etc.

However, like John, I do have some things that detract from pieces and will cause me to not buy. Missing POP's, major cardback damage (big tears, etc.) and ink touch ups. However, there is always an exception to every rule and if something on my want list popped up with some extra damage, I'd be hard pressed not to buy it at this point. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
frunkstar
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
frunkstar

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 am

As a baggie collector myself this is one of those old chestnuts that is a matter for thought, but I tend to grab them when I see them regardles of condition as you may well never see one again if its one of the rarer ones, I just bought one on ebay UK & got it for under a £5 as it had a hole in the bag, now had it not had that hole it would have fetched £15 + IMO, the weapon is in the bag & the figure is in great condition, though its always nice to have a mint baggie from a multi-pack or palayset that is in great condition, but I don't let it grind my gears if its seen better days, as you said - some of these figures are coming up on the big 40 so I expect some deterioration.

On carded I am pretty much the same as John, though I do have 1 item that breaks the criteria being a red ESB 6 pack with pop removed - what the hell though it displays well & I can't see the pop when its on display & sod buying a mint one at them prices.

& with my loose & loose variants I will slowly upgrade if I see at the right price, but as long as I have them all & all the limbs are intact its all gravy.
Back to top Go down
curch
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
curch

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Well, first and more important, besides my wife, dog and my life, my toys always make me happy when I look at them. But if I do look at them and something is wrong with it, its hard for me to enjoy. I do like my stuff to be as nice and as complete as possible. I can't rest until I complete a figure. Its killing me that I can't find the gun to Lando General and Imperial Gunner. More so than the last 5 figures I need to complete my set. Just my thoughts! Smile
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I looked after my childhood collection quite well & that's the condition I like the rest of my figures. A few imperfections here & there are fine for my toy hoard. At cheap prices I'll accept incomplete 'rarer' items. My MOCs were mainly purchased on budget allowing cracks, yellow bubbles, creases... yeah not too fussy on that front.
Back to top Go down
bootyhunter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
bootyhunter

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm

I guess it just depends on how much I have to spend and how much I want that figure,
for example I'd consider a crushed bubble on 21 back fett for the right price but a ROTJ card would need to be C8+
Back to top Go down
A_new_hope
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
A_new_hope

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 7:20 pm

I like to have my figures complete, original and no touch ups. Some paint rub but not to much and stiff joints. For mocs i guess it depends on caracter and price, i would probably be well setesfied wiht a cheap beater as a expensive mint.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 8:35 pm

All of my loose figures are complete and in C8 or better condition. I'm always striving to upgrade a figures condition anytime the opportunity presents itself.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 2:35 am

I collect plastic toys which are more than 30 years old. So I can life with small imperfections of loose figures and boxed items, somehow these add to the charm of the hobby. However I try to avoid paint chips on the face area (eyes, eye brows) as they are distracting.

Off course I am more 'flexible' regarding the rarer lines.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 5:28 am

For my basic set i buy gently payed with figures , a scuffed boot does't bother me but face and torso damage does.For my naked jawa army i prefer the worst possible beaters, broken hands,limbs ,torsos,missing paint,added paint,bite marks, marker marks,discoloration, as long as the price is nice i'll ad them to my collection.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 6:49 am

I try and aim for C8+ with loose figures and boxed items. Don't mind a bit of battle damage so long as the overall effect is not too distracting. As others have said considering the age and rarity of some items you can't always be too picky.

The only item I still have from my childhood is my SW annual which condition-wise I'd give a very generous C3

lol!

edit: I should add that with the vinyl records I collect I look for as near mint condition as poss - especially with the discs as I like to play them Smile

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 7:20 am

I'm very fussy about my loose figures. I'm only truely happy with mint/very near mint, complete examples (there are plenty out there & you don't need to spend top dollar either). I have some rarer variants with small imperfections, but I'm always on the look out for upgrades.

With regards to MOC, as long as they are in 'original' condition I'm not too fussy. Being rarer, I can live with a bit of creasing to the card, yellowing or small dings to the bubble (especially if they are cheap!). However, I don't like cracked, lifting bubbles or any kind of restoration. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
FLETCH
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 8:04 am

for me condition is everything i cant live with discoloured or worn figures and i hate repro weapons i have 60 graded at 90 and have bought and sold hundreads of loose figures to find them im always looking to better my collection but thats what keeps it interesting for me

Last edited by FLETCH on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 8:11 am

When it comes down to production figures, loose or MOC, as close to mint as possible. I will take a carded one with flaws, veins, yellow bubble, etc. I wont touch anything thats been touched up or resealed period or cracked bubbles if I can help it.

For oddball items, if it came sealed, I prefer to find it that way. It all has to be complete, all pieces accounted for, and working. Depending on how rare the item is, I will take cracked or chipped ceramic pieces like my R2 cookie jar until I can find an upgrade. Coloring books need to be mint uncolored. Shampoo and bubble bath bottles empty since its the package you collect and not the contents with those. Same with food products.

Bootlegs, it doesnt matter as long as the figure has all body parts and looks good. I know alot of the pieces are rare and not many pieces exist, those I can handle having defects. But I prefer original condition and not repaints, but with these things its kinda hard to tell what is or isnt unless you ask the top guys in the hobby on it.

Comics, NM-M condition is prefered. Anything from the 60's Ill take in the VG range cause of the price some of those go for. Anything below the 60's, as long as it has its cover and its complete, Im not as picky right now with it. If I can find one from the 30's in poor condition and its complete, Ill take it until I am able to upgrade to a better condition one. I would think very hard about a coverless one to have for a reader until later.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 4:56 am

When it comes to MOC:s which is what I collect mostly, the overall impression is what is important. Of course I would like all mint MOC:s, but that is never going to happen. The front of the card is what is the most important. The front is what is being displayed.

NOT OK
1. Reseals or recards
2. Cracked bubbles
3. Too much creasing or veins
4. Too much yellowing of the bubble
5. Too big paper tears
6. Parts of the card cut away/missing
7. Too many or too big dents in the bubble

OK
1. Small dents in the bubble
2. Slightly yellowing of the bubble
3. Price tags
4. Small touch-ups
5. Minor creasing or veins

Back of the card is not so important. Of course there can't be too much damage.

NOT OK
1. Big paper tears
2. POPs cut away that has gone through the card and is visible from the front
3. Too much writing

OK
1. No POP. If it's neatly removed and not visible from the front of the card
2. Writing. If not too much or too big
3. Small paper tears
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 am

I'm a strictly a loose collector so my 10 rules are as follows:

1 ) I will buy what I would class semi-beaters provided it is a variation on what I have, then look to upgrade as I find another.

2 ) No touch-ups unless its a full customization i.e there is no way it is trying to be passed as a factory error etc, its that obvious (fading and discoloration can be cool IMO and I may buy them)

3 ) Must be complete unless weapon is easy to find

4 ) No pen marks, ink and the like

5 ) NO REPRO WEAPONS / ACCESSORIES

6 ) NO REPRO WEAPONS / ACCESSORIES

7 ) NO REPRO WEAPONS / ACCESSORIES

8 ) NO REPRO WEAPONS / ACCESSORIES

9 ) NO REPRO WEAPONS / ACCESSORIES

10 ) NO REPRO WEAPONS / ACCESSORIES

Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:59 pm

for me,

on loose stuff i only aim for c-9 grade + loose figures. Knowing myself if i buy lower than that i ll want to get a better example. Which means spending time again for the hunt. Paying again for the figure and paying the shipping. So might was well invest right the first time and be done and dealt with.

I would also buy ungraded "if " i get a good description or photo or a good gut feeling.

"If i have a bad feeling about this" moment i stay away. and i usually buy from the same source if they are reliable and trustworthy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How particular are you??   How particular are you?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How particular are you??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-