The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? Empty
PostSubject: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:32 pm

I had a few conversations lately on collecting while I'm putting together a few deals. In the course of a few conversations I mentioned that I only collect one of each production figure. If I find a better version, the other one goes. The only exceptions:

VC Jawa and Cloth Jawa
All three versions of R2D2
Both versions of C3PO
Blue Snaggletooth and Red Snaggleooth
DT Figs vs. Standard Figs
Red Caped Bib vs. Reg Bib

I think most people would see the list above and agree the figures are different. I do have an Early Bird Kit but consider that a single item as well.

So when I look at my collection, there are no armies, no mulitple color lightsabers, COO's , etc. The thing about it is that I look at this and it seems to put me as the odd man out!

So anyone else have a habit or rule that makes them one (or few) of a kind?

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 10:41 pm

I don't think I do anything 'unique' but I have some 'odd' traits- I never use snipe (& have an unusual bidding technique tongue ) & I have a very unorganised, messy collecting room Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:03 pm

I buy stuff i really want, get them in (eventually) & then leave them packed away for months at a time....
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:06 pm

@Tank1252 wrote:
then leave them packed away for months at a time....

Sometimes halfway round the world lol!

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 pm

@Darthberizing wrote:
@Tank1252 wrote:

Yeah, i'm not fussy where they're packed up.
Back to top Go down
The_Dark_Artist
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
The_Dark_Artist

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 pm

I've been compulsive with Mecc Fetts lately, but I've decided to move on...... I guess the word is "compulsive". If you fall in love with a figure it's hard to stop. If you can control these tendencies then you are better then me : )
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:55 pm

@Tank1252 wrote:
@Darthberizing wrote:
@Tank1252 wrote:

Yeah, i'm not fussy where they're packed up.
& you have a camera that is allergic to taking pictures of your collection tongue Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 3:32 am

Im a collecting whore. Anything I dont have I want. I also have an obsession for complete sets. If I have 5 of one ... I need 5 of all the rest. doh
Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 5:22 am

Nice topic John . This explains why yu offen sell and trade so much cool stuff Very Happy

I have / have had a few collecting rules over the last two years since i got back into collecting.

First i only wanted stuff that i did not get when i was a kid . But that turned out to be ALOT Very Happy . So i got confusede about what to get . So i turned to my biggest love as a kid , ESB stuff with a Focus on Hoth Stuff .

Now i have all most all the mc's i need . and i have been after miscards and other od stuff , but that love has fadet and i'm now madley in love with proofs Very Happy

I do have some rules in my collecting :

I never buy:
Cracked bobles , Sticker tairs , inc touch ups , very badly yellow bobles . Recards and seals .

If i'm not shure the first time i see a itiem , then i leave it and god back later . If it's sold , then so be it . Then i'm happy about that as i did not need/ want it badly enough

All the stuff in my collection are for sale /trade if the price / bade is high enough Very Happy I have a ever changing collection .

On the more od side i have a small focus on stuff with dansih price sticker on them. Hard to find any :-(

I even love nice price stickers on my moc's Very Happy How about that . Sick right Shocked

I have another sick forcus . Stuff that have been in the collections of known people . I have a boxed robot (not SW) that comes from the collection of a danish artist that had a HUGE collection of tiy robots when he dided .
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 pm

for me

1st goal: to get a complete set of loose figures (minus early bird) of the first 3 movies and POTF. i am not big on the variant thing though as i have a family and my GF tolerates my collecting habit, going into variants would be overkill, but i am not going to say no to obvious ones like Han Solo, big and small head...but not big in the COO thing. (unless it is R2 or R5 stuff)

2nd goal: get as much r2 stuff from the Original trilogy.

3rd goal or habit: i love printed star wars material from the first movie. Like pamplet/catalog, coloring books, topps cards, printed promos and toy boxes which i am trying to get in the best quality possible. I can say that i have done pretty well with the loose figures with no major letdown and a few "good suprises". I was able to get myself a few decent boxes from the first movie ( droid factory, x-wing, landspeeder,destroy the detah star game).

I also collect the read alongs.

I got a cassette tape star wars read along in very good condition, and this week i received a ROTJ mint sealed book ( the 33 rpm type), can get any better than that. Smile

nothing special but that is how i chase my stuff out on ebay....
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 pm

My first loose Kenner run (no variants, one of each Kenner figure produced) have all been acquired locally, I have eleven to find before completing my set (Yak Face is going to be a real bitch). It's one thing to find the figures and another to be in the minty fresh condition I desire. I've bought a couple pieces on eBay, however, those items do not count towards my loose run.

I'm fortunate to live in an area that allows me to pursue this goal. These last eleven are proving to be rather difficult, but the challenge and thrill of the find keeps the passion burning.

Persistence will pay off and I will complete the run locally. cheers

Back to top Go down
vialli
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
vialli

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm with you Darthberizing, just one of each released figure in my collection is fine by me, as close to mint as possible. I do have a few variants, nothing major, but they are not on display. I recently completed my loose vintage figure set, now on to the MOC's ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:54 pm

A few elements of my style... not necessarily unique to me...

I won't buy a figure if I think it has weird eyes (paint ops). There's an auction going on right now for a MOC figure I'm after and the price is right. But the eyes are a little wacky so I'm passing.

I have a very low threshold for high prices. To date I don't think I've spent over $200 on any one item in my collection. There are plenty of reasons for spending more on the right items. I definitely know this to be true. I just don't because I'm saddled with some kind of inner reflex warning me not to fly too close to the sun. That said, I may have to break this rule in the very near future ;)

My priorities always lie with items that I remember making me happy as a kid. This is probably why I collect very mainstream stuff and not prototypes, proofs, foreign items or bootlegs.

The vast majority of my collection is kept in bins in a good-sized closet. I have only about a dozen items on display in my office. I'm not big on crowded shelves.

I'm also not too big on variant collecting. If I have multiples of figures it's because they're needed for putting out better photos.
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 am

It may look like i just hoard jawas but when you look at my collection you will see i have a softspot for well used-mildly abused items.My carded stuff looks like crap that you wouldn´t normally display, cracked, yellowed or reattached bubbles don´t bother me, veins, warped cards and water damage is what i prefer .Same goes for boxed stuff, i like to buy warped boxes that look ugly and enjoy the time i spend making them look displayable again.For my army building or my minions as my girlfriend lovingly calls them i´m always looking for the worst possible figures , loose or missing limbs, bite marks, marker marks, discolored, missing paint, missing hands, ripped vinyl capes, the worse they look the more i like them.By collecting this way the good stuff can go to serious collectors and i still have something to hunt for, for example a carded vc jawa is not that hard to find in good condition, all you need is a lot of cash but in the past couple of years i still haven´t found one that looks like it got ran over by a truck.
Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:21 pm

orangpendek great to her that some one gives the real beaters some love Very Happy

I'm shure we all now have someting we wanna sell you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?   Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you have a particular collecting habit or rule you think is just yours?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-