*NOTE: Pictures are always UPDATED within the same link. If you want to watch the actual and newest pictures: empty your cookies or hit "refresh".
after years of coo and variant collecting I finally try to get things sorted and will try to present here the "essence" of "variant" collecting.
Of course its still extreme, but its what I think is at least "interesting" to show/know.
If you need to know more about Coo s please read here:https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4375-everything-you-should-know-about-coo-s#71346
I will start with all ANH characters and try to give insight in everything important to those figures: mold, mold-color, paint schemes, rare coos, etc.
As little "extra" I like my bootlegs compared to them!
And of course this is not the guide you are looking for....so move along, move along
Seriously, this is just a "limelight". Im just tired of discussions like: "Where is this coo from", "What can you really call a a variant" and "Where is your green limbed Chewbaccas and one-shorted legged Fetts". To do "this" as a limelight hopefully keeps me away from ongoing discussions and just shows what my opinions are on these. Read it----reflect it---and dont forget to make up your own mind on this stuff
Of course I accept critical comments and there will be people that do disagree. Noone knows everything....so Im sorry in advance for beeing wrong maybe
You can go really deep into this issue, but I think this thread is roughly the most important stuff you need to know about ANH variants (at least when its finished) *Click on the thumbnails to check out a character and use "back button" to get to the overview below*
*NOTE: WIP*1. R2-D22. Chewbacca
First mold family
- MIHK version with early greenish crossbow
- MIHK version POCH with true black pouch.
- Realted no coo. The so called PBP version with circle on food. Made out of a harder material. 2 different pouch colors are known and one of them is very glossy.
Second mold family
- Small Hk with short copyright. This goes with the really deep blue eyes.
Third mold family
- Small HK with long copyright and realted no coo (Macau?). These go with a very greyish pouch especially the so called Macau version.
Fourth mold family
- Taiwan coo. Its very glossy and made out of a harder material. Seems pretty close to the "PBP" version. Comes with true blue bowcaster
Fith coo family
- no coo (small, unrelated). The Kenner and the Lili Ledy version. The Ledy is darker brown and comes with a true black greyish bowcaster (pictures is not very good...sorry for that)
- No coo (large, unrelated) . The maybe true Macau version and his Glasslite brother. The Glasslite one comes with a zuckuss rifle.
- No marks at all. Top Toys version. Comes with unique crossbow.
- Uzay version
- Hungarian version with original crossbow.
- Polish version in black with original crossbow.
Here you can see all pouch colors from the licensed figures. There is quite different tones but most intersting of course are: Poch (black), PBP (darkbrown), Macau (grey), LL (brownish grey) and Glasslite/TT (unpainted). On all others you can find a lot of different shades too, but these are the most significant ones I think.3. Luke Skywalker (Farmboy)
First Coo family. Steelmolds on these are the same. Just copied/travelled and with altered coos!
- 3-Line HK with brown, black and reddish eyes
- 3-line HK Poch, pale hands and greyish pants, typical spraymask in face (raised eyebrow)
- China-dude, slightly different to his HK brothers, especially used material.
- no coo raised bar, Meccano, orange neck, translucent and metallic saber (belonging?)
- no coo raised bar, Glasslite
Other blonde haired Lukes:
The second coo family
- Large HK spray mask one and spray mask two (its NOT only more fat...its also a bit different IMO)
- Large HK the DT version. Brown eyes, different spray mask and opaque body.
- Scarred out (large HK), PBP version with hard limbs and torso. Really bright yellow hair and pink hands. The rarest of all!
The third coo family
- Small HK with reddish pants.
And the fourth family
- Taiwan dudes with greyish and with darkbrown pants
Now the brown ones and some bootlegs!
- Large HK in different brown tones: reddish, darkbrown and chocolate dark brown
- Large HK with different orange hairs: The US and the so called "AU" version. first is dull and pumpkin, second is shiny and tend to be more greenish.
- Small HK and no coo (related to small HK). Both haircolors greenish lightbrown and reddish lightbrown can be found on both coos.
- Model Trem Version
- Hungarian Version
Btw: There is no Luke with greenish pants in this setup because IMO these are all discolored!!!4. Princess Leia 5. Ben Kenobi6. Darth Vader7. Han Solo
First up the ones with small head.
- Han with small head and with white molded legs and black molded legs! Both versions can be found on both HK coos with small copyright
Now the ones with large heads:
- HK with large copyright. This one has reddish hair, not sure if they are all supposed to have that haircolor.
- HK with small copyright and realted no coo. Two different facial spray masks are known (on all related coos).
- No coo Glasslite version with true black Jawa pistol.
- No coo (isnt related to any HK coo. Produced as "no coo"). The european vesrions with 2 different haircolors (reddish and brown). Both have very pink hands and neck and are amde out of a harder and more detailed material.
- No coo PBP version. "Mexican" face with oversprayed details and pale hands.
- Polish version (original). The wepon belongs to a later polish series
- Hungarian version
- Model Trem version
sorry...still no Poch here 8. C-3PO9. Stormtrooper8. Death Squad Commander11. Jawa12. Tusken
The Tusken is not so easy to describe. I havent had the time yet to make research on the mold differences and to sort out the mold-familys, but eh.....its nearly the same on all. Its about 2-3 familys...my guess is two, but havent checked! On one family (about 6 coos) you can find hollow tubes and all 4 maincolors.
- 4 different main colors are known to the Tusken: orangish brown, lightbrown, darkbrown and very darkbrown. These can be found on nearly all coos (besides the large copyright HK ones)
- The 5th figure is the actual Poch variant. His brown town is a bit different to all known versions...its slightly more reddish...or more violet...definatley different.
- First up is the version with the long eye-tubes. He can also be found in differents shades of brown (I have 2 or 3)
- No coo and the HK ones with large copyright have a different head mold. Dunno how to describe, but you can spot these very easy IMO.
- The hollow tubes version. Its known on 6 coos.
- No coo Hollow tube version which seemed only to appear in France (so called Meccano version). It has a unique no coo.
- Polish version (original) with one hollow tube 13. Greedo14. Hammerhead15. Snaggletooth16. Walrusman17. R5-D418. Death Star Droid19. Luke X-Wing PilotI. Mold-family:
The “doughy” looking HK --> No coo scarred out
The differences are in the height of the year. I personally can spot the differences best by looking where the little "dot" near the copyright symbol is placed.II. Mold-family:
The “sharp” looking HK --> China --> No coo raised bar
The differences are very small. You can see it best by looking for the little dot next to “1”. The HK coo was altered to China on raised bar. After that the china was also deleted. If you look close enough you can see that it is indeed a “double” bar (bar on a bar).Mold-variations
Shown here is the best way to determine both mold-variations. There are always more differences, but I think it can be best spotted on the back: molded “single-line” (I.) or “double-line” (II.).
This whole coo-family has their emblems placed more to the front.
- The first two HK versions show that these can be found in two main colors (reddish and light orange) to their limbs. The position of the emblems does vary. There are examples where they are placed just like on their Trilogo brothers. Other have these more on top of the helmet, but still more place to the front compared to mold-family #II.
- Next up are three examples of the so called “Trilogo” version. The figures can have different colored faces, hands and emblems. There is dark red and also orange emblems as well as normal colored faces up to near pinkish ones. The hands can be painted normal or in a very white-pinkish trilogo-style.
- The next two are examples of the “PBP” version (not confirmed) of this figure. The faces are sprayed white with a bit of pink or much pink used. These faces are unique to the Spanish loose market.
You can also say that the helmets are painted in a lighter orange. Interestingly the hands can be painted similar (white plus pink) or can also be painted with a normal flesh color.
Because of this issue I personally think that all those “Trilogo” versions where produced in the same factory. The mixed up hand colors show that there was a change in production: hand and face colors got mixed up badly while assembling the figures.
The second mold-family has their emblems placed more on top of the helmet
- There are two different standard versions known to the HK one. As you can see the spray apps can vary on the head. There are two different spray masks to the face and to the helmet. The very thin, glossy and strong red stripe on top of the helmet is very pregnant I think.
- Next up is the china/no coo raised bar dude. Both are very much the same and also seemed to appear on likely the same cards. The differences to his HK brothers are minor. He has the spray mask of HK#2 on the face but combined with the other helmet design.
- Last is the so called “Poch” version of this figure. I would call this one confirmed till now, because I saw a MOC that matches 100%. It has HK coo.
The figure has the typical pale hands. It is made out of another plastic I would say compared to his mold-brothers (more opaque limbs). Helmet stripe seems often to be a bit violet, but this could be also discoloration.
He wears an imperial blaster because I found it with it and the card existing shows the same combination. I have to add, that I have never seen such an imperial blaster before. It’s very unlikely that an original weapon can be found loose with the correct figure, but not impossible.Comparison of the heads and helmets:
Top row shows examples from coo-family #I.
- Both HK versions with different positioned emblems.
- Trilogo and PBP versions with different face and emblem colors.
Second row shows examples from Coo-family #II.
- Different helm details on the HK ones followed by the typical China/No coo look and the Poch version (with indented nose= factory error on this example).
Shown here is a comparison of the arm molds and the colors and materials the arms are made off
The first three belong to the mold-family #I. You can see the pleats in the crook of the arm look quite different compared to the other mold. Shown here are the pale reddish and orangeish looking arms as well as the “harder” molded and different colored “Trilogo” arms.
The last two belong to mold-family #2. The materials used can have a glossy or a dull look. The glossye one is also colored in a stronger orange and goes with the thin red helmet stripe.20. Power Droid21. Boba Fett
First up is the coo chart. There is 3 Main mold-familys known. Because of the coo placed on both legs you have always four combinations that do exist on every main coo. So if you collect only coos you can go for 20 different coos on Boba Fett. I. Mold-family: TAIWAN
The Taiwan coos are of course easy to spot. You can find them with "year" down and up as well as "Taiwan" up and down.II. Mold-family: Large HK --> No coo (smooth)
These HK coos have a large copyright symbol. You can see the differences best, when you compare the distance between "1"and "9" and "O" and "N". The no coo differences can be best spotted if you check out the lenght of the pleat marked in the picture.III. Mold-family: Small HK --> No coo (scar)
These HK coos have a small copyright symbol. You can see the differences best, when you compare the distance between "7"and "9" and to have a look how "Hong Kong" is lined. The no coo is the most easy one to differ: It has a "single" scar or a "split" scar.
You can see here the mold-differences on Boba Fett
. From left to right you have mold-family I. (TW), II. (large HK --> smooth no coo) and III. (small HK --> scarred out). The differences can be best spotted on the knee and the head. - TW Boba Fett:
He has a unique mold and a very dark visor and belt.- Small HK Fett:
There is two versions of this one. The "normal" looking with lightbrown belt and visor. And the one with light limbs and a very dark visor and belt. This variant is of course discolored (limbs) but it can obviously not be found in an undiscolored version. So you wont find a Fett with that kind of paint applied without faded limbs. What makes him unique to me is more the dark visor and belt paint...not the light limbs, but they simply go together. There is also lots of faded limbs Fetts with lightbrown paint. these I dont consider a variant, because you can also get those unfaded.- Large HK Fett:
This one is pretty close to the "normal" small HK but has slight different colors and another mold. The second one shown has yellow paint on it. This is for sure disolored but the very strong green ("gras green") has only been found with those yellow caps. So maybe after all this is sth that also just goes together.- Smooh No coo:
The so called "Meccano" Fett was only found on Trilogo cards released in France. This is one of those variants which is not really special regarding the paint apps, its more the myth and "sought after" status what makes him really special. He is definatley rare. Every other produced Boba Fett figure was released in really higher numbers.- Hungarian Version:
The toughest of all hungarian bootlegs (besides a complete Vader "open hand") with original hungarian crossbow.
The picture shows Lili Ledy and "Trilogo" Fetts- Lili Ledy Fett:
There is two versions known. Belt and chest colors can differ a bit. The next differences are the rockets. They can be loose or fixed (with glue). The consensus on those Fetts with loose rockets is that they are more likely a factory error than a variant.- Trilogo Fetts:
Beeing one of the latest produced Fetts, there is a ton of varinats on those. They can have unpainted/painted knee, unpainted/painted wrist dart, different colored belts, visors etc.
Shown here are the main 5 variants that can be found IMO. Lightbrown unp dart/p knee, darkbrown unp dart/p knee, darkbrown p dart/p knee, darkbrown unp dart/unp knee, darkbrown p dart/unp knee.
What you can see here is a comparison of the painted and unpained parts of the "Trilogo" Fetts
and their beltcolors.
Unpainted knee compared to painted knee as well as unpainted wrist dart compared to painted wrist dart. You can also see that there is different shades of orange to those.
The thjree main beltcolors are shown next to it. There is a dull lightbrown, a dull darkbrown and a glossy darkbrown near black. The "black" one is called the real "PBP" varaint, which I doubt and which cannot be confirmed! If one of those is really produced in Spain then all are produced in Spain and where exported. That would mean that all could have appeared on spanish cards as well.
Last is a comparison of the visor and chest colors
The TW has a very dark visor.
The Small HK can have very different visor colors (lightbrown and darkbrown).
The Large HK is nearly the same compared to his "Meccano" brother.
The Lili Ledy has the darkest head color and otherwise the lightest chest-green.
Trilogo can be found with very light till near black visors.