The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Added the desired link to your post, KJ.

A big welcome BTW. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:40 pm

@Dr Dengar wrote:

Added the desired link to your post, KJ.

A big welcome BTW. Very Happy

Ah. Cheers mate! Hopefully it's of use for some of us. Smile
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Looks like Philip has one of his lapdogs fielding the questions on the forum now. And is lying thru his teeth. Regardless, even the few pics that were on RS's photopost (the last update I did), there is not ONE statement saying that by posting the pictures via their server, that you're giving up the ownership rights.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 pm

There's a certain bitter irony that Joe's bootleg photos and data have now had themselves bootlegged...
Back to top Go down
Jaybird
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Jaybird

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Just heard that Philip is going to reply soon, I can't wait to read this, the suspense is killing me. I really wonder if he has been thinking of a good response all this time or if he has been ignoring it hoping it would blow over.

Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

@Jaybird wrote:
Just heard that Philip is going to reply soon, I can't wait to read this, the suspense is killing me. I really wonder if he has been thinking of a good response all this time or if he has been ignoring it hoping it would blow over.

Completely embarrassed or under the advisement of a lawyer, my guess is both.

Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 pm

He is thinking out an answer that will make you smile.

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 Philip_Wise_Headshot
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 am

It would be funny to see every pic in people's Limelights thread replaced with the same photo of Philip.

Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 10:40 am

@Yzerman wrote:
He is thinking out an answer that will make you smile.

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 Philip_Wise_Headshot

Remind me of....

Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
scarfman
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 am

Hi fellas! I decided to join up over here because of this whole mess. I stand with Joseph_Y on this issue.
Phillip's stance on this is plain WRONG.

SOLIDARITY BABY!!
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Welcome scar! Make sure you introduce yourself on the sticky at the top of the forum. I'm fairly new to the board also, but enjoy it so much... I quickly hit over 100 posts Smile

Great people, great information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 1:04 pm

@KJ wrote:
It would be funny to see every pic in people's Limelights thread replaced with the same photo of Philip.

I like the way you think. What an ego boost it would be for Philip to see himself in all of his glory all over Rebelscum. Laughing
Back to top Go down
scarfman
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 1:18 pm

@TishomingoSith wrote:
Welcome scar! Make sure you introduce yourself on the sticky at the top of the forum. I'm fairly new to the board also, but enjoy it so much... I quickly hit over 100 posts Smile

Great people, great information.

Thanks for the welcome!
Its scarf if you're into the brevity thing, not scar please.

P.S. Took care of the introduction a few minutes after my above post. Wink

Back to top Go down
A_new_hope
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
A_new_hope

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Just feel i have to type a few lines here aswell. This is a bad situation indeed, to take the freedom to restore pictures that someone who is permanently banned dont smell so good. He (joe) is banned and not wanted on those boards any more from the owner, than you could think that the owner dont want anyting to do with this person anymore but wont let go of info/pic/knowledg he have contributed wiht. Well that is just a weird way of reson from his side i think. Hope everyting sorts out in the end Joe.
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 1:43 am

@A_new_hope wrote:
Just feel i have to type a few lines here aswell. This is a bad situation indeed, to take the freedom to restore pictures that someone who is permanently banned dont smell so good. He (joe) is banned and not wanted on those boards any more from the owner, than you could think that the owner dont want anyting to do with this person anymore but wont let go of info/pic/knowledg he have contributed wiht. Well that is just a weird way of reson from his side i think. Hope everyting sorts out in the end Joe.

This is like a messy divorce between Joe and Philip.

...sorry to anyone who is now mentally picturing that.
Back to top Go down
tapuvae
New User
New User
tapuvae

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 am

The actions of the site's owner do seem over the top. I wonder if he really cares at all about the vintage section. Maybe its a thorn in his side, and one that generates little click through ad revenue. I have never clicked a link through the site and I assume this is how he makes his money. Or is it also page views per month.
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 6:12 am

Wow, I don't know how I missed this post, I hope everything goes well for you.

This is a large problem with picture theft in general. A good example are contests that let you send in your picture to compete and win something, maybe an x-box just something random, but in the fine text it says that you are giving away your right to that image by sending it to them, so in the large picture they own all pictures sent to them even by those who didn't win. Serious magazines probably don't do this.

I don't think this guy can claim your photos or bring them back. Stuff like this shows peoples true colors. I don't know the full story, but if they are posted on flickr and linked to RS then there is no way in hell he claim any kind of right to them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 8:36 am

I just had a thought this morning. Besides being the owner of RS. Who the hell is Phillip Wise anyway?? Does he have any other connection to SW besides creating RS?? I just realized I don't really know who my Emperor is. LOL
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:06 am

@kisstour03 wrote:
I just had a thought this morning. Besides being the owner of RS. Who the hell is Phillip Wise anyway?? Does he have any other connection to SW besides creating RS?? I just realized I don't really know who my Emperor is. LOL

Philip Wise is the webmaster of TheForce.Net and Rebelscum.com. He is also a partner in C2 Ventures, Inc. with Ben Stevens. C2 Ventures operates Official Pix, a Lucasfilm-licensed autograph company, and a series of conventions in the Dallas, Texas area. In addition to running two of the biggest Star Wars news websites, Wise is notable for having one of the largest private collections of Star Wars memorabilia in the world.

Taken from Force Cast Wiki.

http://www.rebelscum.com/pwroom.asp

Looking at the pix of his collection in that link, I can see why he has issues with vintage guys. Not one piece of vintage is noticable. No wonder he has the largest collection, theres a shit load of modern stuff. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
tapuvae
New User
New User
tapuvae

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:15 am

@Chris_J wrote:
@kisstour03 wrote:

Philip Wise is the webmaster of TheForce.Net and Rebelscum.com. He is also a partner in C2 Ventures, Inc. with Ben Stevens. C2 Ventures operates Official Pix, a Lucasfilm-licensed autograph company, and a series of conventions in the Dallas, Texas area. In addition to running two of the biggest Star Wars news websites, Wise is notable for having one of the largest private collections of Star Wars memorabilia in the world.

Looking at the pix of his collection in that link, I can see why he has issues with vintage guys. Not one piece of vintage is noticable. No wonder he has the largest collection, theres a shit load of modern stuff. lol!

Don't you mean a load of modern shit Smile Love the ability to swear here.
Back to top Go down
Josh_T
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Josh_T

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:18 am

Well, it looks like someone finally got a response from Philip:

CustomsfortheKid wrote:
I just received this response:

Brian,

This is not true.

What is true is that forum history is permanent.

We are happy to remove your account, but your posts will remain.

It's always been that way.

Philip Wise
Webmaster TheForce.Net - Your Daily Dose of Star Wars
Webmaster Rebelscum.com: Home Page

This was very good news indeed. Obviously this was clearly a misunderstanding. I am very happy sharing the hobby with all of you, and I hope this official response will put the emotions tied to this topic to rest. Our content is ours and therefore I have no reservations about posting my work here going forward.

It seems strange that Philip can take the time to respond to someone from the customizing section but can't be bothered to respond to the mods or make a forum announcement. Of course this response does not actually address the issue and seems to just be damage control to keep more people from removing their, or should I say "his", content.

Link to the topic in the custom section: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1083204-2/
Back to top Go down
http://japanesestarwarscollection.webs.com/index.html
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:50 am

Quote :
Wise is notable for having one of the largest private collections of Star Wars memorabilia in the world.

Real memorabilia is vintage. I collect modern as well but the true stuff where released back in the days. Looking a prices of most 90s stuff, I could probably quadruple my collection if not even more if I sold my vintage and bought 90s+ stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:04 am

@tapuvae wrote:
@Chris_J wrote:
@kisstour03 wrote:

Don't you mean a load of modern shit Smile Love the ability to swear here.

Oh my bad, its that fucking modern bullshit crap shit that no one in their right fucking mind would want shit like that. Better? lol!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:07 am

Sure hed respond in the custom or modern sections. Hes scared to say anything in the vintage section cause he knows what will happen if he does. There wouldnt be much of a vintage section left, but he would always have finestcomics though. Wink

Just started reading this in that thread Josh linked and got to love this line from darth_sidious, a mod mind you

I've been the Mod for this section for years - and I can assure everyone that the site has never used someones work without permission, and honestly would have no reason to do so - and I wouldnt allow that to happen.

I know hes talking about customs, but it still applies to me for the pix.

Last edited by Chris_J on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jaybird
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Jaybird

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 am

Wow that takes real balls to reply to the that message and not reply to the vintage section where this all started.

Philip is such an dick and has no respect for the vintage section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-