The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Since I can no longer reply on RS to answer/dispute anything I'll take this quote from moderator Darth_Sideous on RS
(which I would have no problem removing if he asked me to...)

"I'll use myself as an example - say I got fed up with this site and decided to leave. I then asked the Webmaster to delete a thread I created in the Customizing section that contains tutorials and other useful information. My argument is that I created it, I answered questions, submitted pictures, etc. Should I be allowed to remove it? I personally think it would be wrong of me to do so, since it benefits the community at large. Thats why I created it - I didnt create it for Rebelscum - I made it for the users. Everyone posts of their own free will - the policy as I understand it is simply not to delete what people decide to post. If by removing a thread, images, etc it has a negative impact on the site, should we still do so? Thats the real question here. This isnt about ownership - the user owns their images. Keeping posts/images on a site doesnt benefit the site itself or its owner - it benefits all of us as a community doesnt it? "

If someone would post this reply to D_S on RS for me:
In my case I kept all of the information and pics available to the community, just not on RS, they're all on my flickr acct. I took away RS's permission to use the pics that I own. I took away RS's permission to use the intellectual property that my information,items, and research represent BECAUSE of Philips attitude. He compounded that when he chose to permanently ban me without reason, then restored my pictures without my permission. IF he had emailed me and said, "You've got a choice Joe, restore your limelight and your acct can stay, as you've mentioned, to use the classifieds and maybe return to active posting at a later date, OR keep it removed and get a permanent ban" THAT would have been a respectful way to approach the situation and NONE of this would have happened. The community is much larger than Rebel Scum.

I propose this as a LAST chance at a reasonable solution,It won't get any nicer than this. It'll hopefully help mend the community a bit, and I'm sure both sides of the now split community will see as fair: Remove MY pics from my limelight/RS photopost , but keep the link to my flickr acct(I'll also promise not to move the photo album,so the links stay active), and the text. That way the limelight stands and gets to stay, yet none of my photos are being used w.o my permission, we all win. Copyright law is covered and "forum history" gets to stand, Fair? I think so.

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by Joseph_Y on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Consider it done Joe.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:36 pm

I can post it for you, Joe Smile

EDIT: I will leave it up to you, Chris. No need for a double post.
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:39 pm

I just edited it a bit, Chris...check before ya post

Cheers and thanks
Joe
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Just edited my post over there with your edited one.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:42 pm

thanks Chris!!

J
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 6:41 pm

It's nice to see that TIG got so helpful members and moderators. Sure is one of the reasons I'm here.

This situation is so childish it ain't even funny. Permanently ban a person but keep his stuff without permission. In my eyes that's theft.
It's nice of you to offer that last option, but still... He shouldn't even get that. If it where my pictures and I where banned I would have demanded them fully removed.
Most members are on several forums anyway, so the community will benefit of your work even if it's not on RS. It looks like it's more for RS then the members of RS that he want them there. I guess RS benefit from your pictures.

I just use the figure index at RS since I always forget what year the figures where released. It's a good place to check it up.
Since I am not that set into the situation I shouldn't really speak my point. But breaking copyright laws is actually a real crime that can lead to prison.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
SCOTTM
New User
New User
SCOTTM

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 8:22 pm

I've jumped!!! Totally ridiculous situation that Phillip has caused.
Back to top Go down
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:04 pm

The lack of a substantive response by Phil tells me he is scared of losing the Vintage Crowd and the "wealth" of knowledge that will hit the door in the near future. I am 100000% behind Joe on this one. The pictures that we decide to post are ours and we control them, not some weasel who decides to "run" a forum, then decides to throw down the "I'll banish your ass" tool, whenever he decides to use it.
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:01 am

"Mike the massive(asshole)"seems to not grasp that I'm one of you, just another collector, part of the community. Philip acts like he owns the entire community.

Last edited by Joseph_Y on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 am

Welcome to TIG Scott!! I was wondering what that Ali pic was meant to be saying after you posted it. I was worried that my offer of a reasonable solution was being seen as me giving in, or Philip having me on the ropes (neither are the case). It also says nothing in the TOS about "play nice or I'll use your copywritten pictures without your permission....

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 2:39 am

@SCOTTM wrote:
I've jumped!!! Totally ridiculous situation that Phillip has caused.

Welocme to TIG, Scott! Nice to see you here.

Play nice Wink
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 am

It was bound to happen in a (currently) 21 page thread.

People are going off on tangents.

This is a simple issue at its core.

It's image theft.

That is the most accurate term to describe it.

Theoreticals don't matter. 'What ifs' don't matter.

It's image theft. Same thing as someone stealing RS pics for a scam eBay auction.

Hmm. Maybe we should alert the community about this 'Philip Wise' stealing photos in the 'Watch Out' forum. Razz
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:23 am

@sith jawa wrote:
The pictures that we decide to post are ours and we control them, not some weasel who decides to "run" a forum, then decides to throw down the "I'll banish your ass" tool, whenever he decides to use it.

Hey settle down Jason, or I'll banish you ass Very Happy

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:01 am

I have to reply to Finest Comic's comments here(as I can't there)

Finest comics, Yes I willingly posted them on RS, and then I willingly removed them from RS when I felt my time there was done.
I at NO point waived my ownership rights to those photos. RS has NO disclaimer stating, that by posting pictures that you give up the ownership rights to them. I simply want my property removed from a site that I am no longer welcome on.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:06 am

Joe, that's what I was trying to explain to him, even including a link where he could read up on it himself.

I give up. I've explained it to him as best I can.

Seems to be more personal than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 am

He used to try to rally people against bootlegs in all forms, as he's completely against them. I think that the discussions that he and I had about that topic have left him skewed to the point where, while he's selectively against copyright infringement, IE he's not against it in this case because it involves me. thinking

I appreciate the effort in trying to explain it but in his case it's like this..... head bang
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 am

Well, that certainly explains that.

Back to top Go down
phidias_b
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:37 am

It's obviously a waste of time replying to or reading one of finest's posts. He's a windbag and I can't get through 3 of his sentences before I start to tune out. Seriously, he has so little to say or contribute but it takes him 5 paragraphs to say it. LOL. I love that Kinki Jedi gave he that 12 page copyright link answering all of his stupid "image theft" questions but he replied 5 minutes later with the same fucking questions. The dude didn't bother to click on the link. Not even a speed reader could have read those pages in 5 minutes.

I noticed he only started taking shots at Joe after the permanent ban was issued. Coward....

Back to top Go down
KevinA
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
KevinA

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:39 am

He's like some kind of mind control wizard...how the hell does he have me discussing Google????

I figured there was some sort of issues between the two of you. He seemingly keeps trying to turn this into a Joe issue when it really is an everyone issue.

I'm gonna do my best to bite my tongue until we get some sort of response from PW.
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 am

I'm sure he wouldn't mind someone hosting his images here at TIG? Just take them off his own server?

http://www.wiseacres.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah, he keeps trying to sidetrack the real issue by bizarrely insisting that Google is a key part in this, when it's clearly irrelevant.

And yeah, I also found it funny that he continued on with his incorrect assumptions when I gave him a link that explained it all quite clearly. If he was genuinely unsure of it all, all he had to do was take a few minutes to read that article.

I'd have been happy to answer him if he had questions after that (assuming I knew the answer, of course), but he seems intent on his path.

It's unfortunate, as it takes away from the real issues here.

He also agreed with us. One of his posts started with 'There was never any agreement'. That's the whole point.

Sigh
Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm

@TishomingoSith wrote:
I'm sure he wouldn't mind someone hosting his images here at TIG? Just take them off his own server?

So he's a cat person.

I wonder if I get sued if I do... lol

I just checked the limelight and omg. that's impressive! Don't let the sucker have those pics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
CloudCity_Gangzr
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
CloudCity_Gangzr

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:37 pm

This whole thing strikes me as being a little petty. I quit posting on RS about a year ago and also deleted all my photos. Granted, I deleted mine because I sold most of it. I continue to read some threads over there, but it seems to be less and less as the months go by. While my collection was nowhere near as spectacular as Joes, Phillip didn’t miss my content. The point is, if it is legal and RS policy, then it is selectively enforced.

In reality though, this just strikes me as a jab. Phil may have been looking for excuse to give Joe the hook due to his abrasive attitude. Though I’ve never met him, Phil seems a bit abrasive too. I would venture to guess, like so many other forums and social media outlets he wants everything to be positive and wishes that everyone would adhere to a “if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all” attitude. You’ll never see a dislike button on facebook. I don’t understand why he didn’t let you delete your thread, and just be done with it.

My advice to kill this quickly and move on would be to pay a lawyer $300 to write Phil a demand letter. You could probably do the consultation over the phone. When McWilliams sent Phil a similar letter, he folded like a card house.
Back to top Go down
https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/gallery/TIG-User-Mug-Shots/i
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:40 pm

@TishomingoSith wrote:

Sure Phillip is aware of Copyright infringement when it comes to his own material. What an asshole, keep talking from both sides of your mouth Phillip.

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 Wisej
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-