The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 8:37 pm

He'll be getting a cease and desist this week coming up. No fucking way am I going to let this stand. this tool's NOT going to get away with making a buck on MY PICTURES.

Edit: I just emailed my lawyer and she'll likely get back to me by the am. I'm also going to use Flickr/Yahoo's legal dept to help as thats where my pics are copyritten.

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by Joseph_Y on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Thats weird. I didnt post the link to it. I forgot to do it a min ago. Whos messing with me tonight? unsure

Anyway, after reading that thread on the photo rights, something told me to look at your limelight and lo and behold, there is was.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 8:45 pm

I would suggest to anyone that considers themselves to be my friend, or a friend of copyright protection to NOT bump or reference that thread in any way if bootleg questions are asked. While it's still there I want it to fade into oblivion. To those that have been still on the fence as to where the line in the sand is....

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 pm

@Chris_J wrote:
Thats weird. I didnt post the link to it. I forgot to do it a min ago. Whos messing with me tonight? unsure

Laughing sorry Chris Razz Good morning
link removed

Last edited by aussiejames on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GanjaFett
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
GanjaFett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Man, I've missed this whole thread. I only check the Outer Realm section Smile

Good to know so many are against Phillip's actions. Crazy shit going on over there!

It’s as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced… and then they found TIG!
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm amazed that Philip had the balls to claim that he'd restore your pics without your permission Joe. But to actually go ahead with it, the arrogance is just mind-blowing. No
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:04 am

@JesseVader08 wrote:
I'm amazed that Philip had the balls to claim that he'd restore your pics without your permission Joe. But to actually go ahead with it, the arrogance is just mind-blowing. No

+1

Good post Jesse
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 am

I also can't believe that Phil has yet to respond to everyone being upset about the whole photo copyright issue. If this was all just the result of a personal beef with Joe, then why hasn't he responded to the thread and clarified what RS actual Terms of Service mean? He's essentially just said a big "F You" to all of the forum members, whether they realize it or not.

If that really is the policy of RS, then he should have come out and explained it to those that remain there, and described the benefits of that policy, and tried to make the existing membership comfortable with where the forum is going. Instead, he came down from on high, made a douchebag declaration, then disappeared behind his Oz curtain again, not giving a shit as to the repercussions of his actions on those that are still members.

I had already deleted all the pics I could from my limelight a couple of days ago, and tonight I moved my photo bucket albums in order to sever the links. Now I guess I won't be posting pics in any forums without a copyright watermark.

I gotta tell you, this makes me not want to participate in forums at all. If one forum owner can so blatantly take advantage and abuse his membership, it makes me leery of what anyone else could do in the wrong frame of mind. I barely started joining forums a couple of years ago, and I'm starting to remember why.

This isn't a dig at TIG at all BTW. It just has given me a new perspective on how quickly a seemingly good situation can go south.
Back to top Go down
Sandcrawler72
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Sandcrawler72

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 am

I tell you it's cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs on the RS site right now. Very sad indeed.

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 Tumblr_lph7xbiKkB1qlxdqt

Back to top Go down
KevinA
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
KevinA

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 am

They are coming up as Rebelscum links on my iPad - I'm assuming that means RS does archive the photos or am I mistaken, I have trouble with this thing sometimes.

I guess we got our answer....
Back to top Go down
BruceW
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:43 am

This whole situation is just fucking sad, if you ask me (not that anybody has, but hey, I'll just throw in my 2 cents).
Philips statements just come across as childish and petty and do nothing but make matters worse. Maybe that's why he's been quiet over the past few days.

In all honesty, I'm surprised that thread is still active.
Back to top Go down
colpar
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 am

I think it has been said before that mods on RS are there to help without any compensation , if i would
be in place of Mike M. i'd leave the mod status immediatly. This guy is trying to sort the mess out and
he doesn't even receive a reply from the admins whose are too busy to restore Joe's deleted content
and lock limelight posts.

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 am

No way Philip is going to get away with this. You don't treat people like this and break rules and just being an overall asshole in everything you do.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:17 am

@aussiejames wrote:
@Chris_J wrote:

Laughing sorry Chris Razz Good morning
link removed

Im going to have to start keeping an eye on you, you sneaky shit. Suspect lol!
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 am

Chris you're going senile in your old age Laughing
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:35 am

Have I maybe missed it?? Or where your pictures also uploaded on RS??

If not he REALLY uploaded them on RS!!! This is THEFT!! Cannot believe it.....
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 am

@RebelChris wrote:
@dylbacca wrote:
@sithtoys wrote:

where I'm at right now (personally). Without sounding like a vintage snob, or taking sides .. there have been a plethora of threads lately on other
forums, that are so fucking stupid, that I actually have to read them twice, just to make sure that what I read was really THAT stupid. The most
recent being something along the lines of a song ... "wouldn't it be nice" - nuff' said.

I hear ya Bill. You know, it's been happening for more than a few years now. the Vintage section of "other sites" have become largely a swath of inane, uninformative, mind numbingly stupid threads that bare no inherent value whatsoever. Sometimes I read through there and i wonder what would rot my brain faster, reading the utterly moronic drivel that goes up on a consistent basis, or a marathon of Jersey Shore.

Hear! Hear!

I couldn't have said it better myself. I've been noticing this trend for at least a few months and probably longer. Either that or I'm just getting grumpy with age. Smile

OMG..its like speaking with myself.....we love it!!!

Bill:
That sentences:
There have been a plethora of threads lately, that are so fucking stupid, that I actually have to read them twice, just to make sure that what I read was really THAT stupid.
...is the best I have ever read on that theme.....I literally LMFAO!!! *whipes away tear*

Dylan: very good rant! :clap:

and Chris:
we are getting grumpy with age......these threads mentioned drive us into it!! lol!
(Seriously I thought exactly the same!)

I have nothing to ad!...just brilliant! :clap:
Back to top Go down
mr_palitoy
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
mr_palitoy

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 am

Not sure if the original unrestored Bootleg Musuem thread had RS hosted pictures on them or not, but it does now.

Jason

Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:53 am

One thing is for sure. Darth Wise is going all dark side on Joe.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:57 am

No, all of Joes pix was from his flicker account. I looked through all those at least 10 times to see whats all out there and not one of them was RS linked before. That is plain theft now. What Wise is doing is total bullshit. Im so glad I hardly ever posted any pix up over there now, so I dont have to worry about deleting much. What is up, isnt much, maybe 10-15 at the most. But with limelights like most of you guys have up, Id be freaking out right about now and start removing what I can before the change over. You know there will be a new rule pop up over this saying the pix will now be property of RS and then there wont be nothing you guys can do, so Id remove everything I could before it does happen. I can see it if your asked to use them, like I did with Wolff and his old COO guide for the FOTW threads, but doing it like Wise is, no. Id be pissed off too.
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 am

I deleted my pics, but they were never hosted on RS servers. So I don't worry about that. I just thought that the treatment Joe is getting is totally fucked up and I don't want to contribute pics of my collection on that site. There is nothing special about my collection, but none the less. Don't want to stand by and see people getting treated like that.
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 am

I 'think' Joe is getting legal advise about this issue, going to have a cease and desist letter sent to RS with them stealing the photos off his flickr account. If not, I can see if my ex could get one together for Joe. Despite being divorced, at times we get along and she helps with legal issues (she recently helped my GF with a legal issue, simply a letter).

When we aren't on good terms, it's hell. Smile

Anyway, Joe... let me know.
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel68
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:09 am

Count me in as another Joe Y supporter jumping ship from RS. What Phillip is doing is very uncool and he's going to see a lot of the core vintage group leaving his forum for good. Unfortunately, we're not really the bread and butter of that site, so he'll probably barely notice this dip in traffic.

This place has a much better vibe anyway! Let's keep it that way!

Curt Hanks
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 am

And I'm even trying to 'help' RS by warning them. Once a cease and desist is ordered, their site is offline. It's gone until the issue is resolved. I don't think that would be good for anyone.
Back to top Go down
KJ
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm shocked at all this.

It's like some schoolyard thing.

Philip is CRAZY if he thinks that what's he's doing is legal or defensible in any way.

I posted twice in the relevant RS thread, and included this link for anyone who doesn't understand it fully. It's in layman's terms, and goes into detail.

EDIT: Uh, seeing I'm newly registered I can't post the link. For anyone who wants it, it's on page 13 of the RS thread, my second post.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

EDIT2: It'd be interesting to see how Philip's actions are punishable according to DMCA.

That'd be a hell of a thing, to get the whole site taken down with a 'DMCA Takedown Notice' until he's back to sanity. (not suggesting anyone be malicious or anything like that)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.   Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion. - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Lawyers in the house? Need a copyright opinion.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-