The Imperial Gunnery Forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum
 
HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

Share
 

 request for variations/ repro's identification

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-05

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure wether to put this in the Vintage Star Wars Chat or the Watch Out Section but put it here.

I have come across a few variations in my collection that I can not find info on anywhere. The Yoda snake and the first two picture of the Darth Vader cloak has been discussed here https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1069p15-new-repro-yoda-orange-yoda-snake-has-hit-the-market-and-its-made-from-plastic-so-be-careful

However I have two variations of Madine's staff of which I think one of them might be a repro but I can't quite make out the differences that identify them as laid out in the repro's faq.

Also I have two versions of Ree Yee's rifle, one variation which I have not been able to match anywhere.

A couple of mold variations which I also have not been able to find any info on.
One is the sculpt on Lando's beltbuckle. And the other is the buttons on Darth Vaders chest panel. the later is a bit difficult to see on the pictures because of the paint application but on one figure the lines are considerably more narrow than on the other.

Finally I have a Lando cape with a texture I've not seen before. With the Darth Vader cape mentioned above I found out that there are some legit different structures than the so called Waffel pattern, so I figure this is also just a variation. The two capes I have do however vary a bit in size and cut but not considerably (I know it is again a little difficult to see from the pictures).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84235436@N03/sets/72157630959626370/

Any help identifying these version or dismissing or validating them as legit or not would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Philiphttp://www.flickr.com/photos/84235436@N03/sets/72157630959626370/https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1069p15-new-repro-yoda-orange-yoda-snake-has-hit-the-market-and-its-made-from-plastic-so-be-careful
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Posts : 7732
Join date : 2009-11-12
Age : 47
Location : Western Australia

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Back to top Go down
Serket
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Serket

Posts : 94
Join date : 2011-02-26
Location : Western Australia

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Lando cape   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Does the Lando cape have a texture like this one below?? It's hard to tell from your pics.
Photobucket
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-05

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am

I added another four pictures of the Lando cape (same link). Both capes have one side with the texture that makes that distinct sound when you scratch it. The one cape has the other side smooth, similar to all other vinyl/ plastic capes I've encountered from the entire line (except for the Palitoy Vader discussed in the link above). The other cape has a very distinct pattern on it's other side, sort of a crosshatching. But it has a definite pattern. It also feels a little softer, it does not look thinner though. (The comparison picture is it held up against the scratchy side of the other cape and as seen the texture of the softer cape is quite a bit rougher).

Both Madine staffs float (even when pushed under water they resurface). Also to refresh from the discussion in thread linked above, one is opaque and the other is more translucent.

Thanks for the links to the Lando thread I had not found that one. I am digging mold variations so I'm liking that being legit (and kind of disliking the number of stamp variations :p ).

Could I appropriately post the remaining Darth Vader and Ree Yee's pictures in allready existing threads (and which)?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Posts : 7732
Join date : 2009-11-12
Age : 47
Location : Western Australia

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 am

You can throw up more pictures on this thread Smile
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-05

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 am

Excellent,

They are also in the set in the link but it was in regards to two version of the Ree Yees rifle with different mold exits and a two different sculpts of Vaders chestpanel (I can't upload them directly in the thread therefor the link). I figure they are all good it's just again that I can't positively match them anywhere. The Ree Yee's rifle definitely does not look painted, I even scraped on them to make sure.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

Posts : 5371
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 49
Location : UK

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:53 am

I'll have to unpack my examples, but with regards to your Ree-Yees rifles it may be that one came with the Hong Kong variant & the other with the Taiwan version. The molding of my repro matches the rifle on the right (in your first picture) but the repro lacks the mold circle & it is definately painted.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

Posts : 2515
Join date : 2009-11-20

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 12:59 pm

There are three buckle variants to Lando.

There are, well not sure, about 10 variants to Vader chest!

Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-05

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 3:02 pm

@cantina_patron wrote:
I'll have to unpack my examples, but with regards to your Ree-Yees rifles it may be that one came with the Hong Kong variant & the other with the Taiwan version. The molding of my repro matches the rifle on the right (in your first picture) but the repro lacks the mold circle & it is definately painted.

That'd be awesome if you'd take time to do that. If there are country specific casting methods I'd definitely want to know of that. (I actually also have two otherwise identical Han Solo Carbonite pieces except for the mold crates being on one on the right side and the other having them on the left side. I realize that possibly many molds existed within each fabrication facility in the production of these millions of figures but if some are indeed exclusie to some production areas I'd definitely like to match them correctly).


@wbobafett wrote:
There are three buckle variants to Lando.

There are, well not sure, about 10 variants to Vader chest!


That is quite some (for both really).

What gives with all those minor variations? I get that Kenner consequently worked on improving the line, thus the changed head sculpt for Han Solo and the Imperial Commander and the cloth cape for the Jawa. COO stamps were often erased/ filled out in the mold but these smaller changes must have been made on master sculpts/ casts.
I always thought smaller differences were the result of touch-ups on the master sculpts but seeing some of these variations it doesn't really seem likely as some times things have been added and moved around. As with the Vader breastpanel the different sculpts are almost unnoticeable because of the paint application, so why do so many variations exist? Anybody know for certain?

Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

Posts : 5371
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 49
Location : UK

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 am

@DenGrimmeRaeber wrote:
@cantina_patron wrote:
I'll have to unpack my examples, but with regards to your Ree-Yees rifles it may be that one came with the Hong Kong variant & the other with the Taiwan version. The molding of my repro matches the rifle on the right (in your first picture) but the repro lacks the mold circle & it is definately painted.

That'd be awesome if you'd take time to do that. If there are country specific casting methods I'd definitely want to know of that. (I actually also have two otherwise identical Han Solo Carbonite pieces except for the mold crates being on one on the right side and the other having them on the left side. I realize that possibly many molds existed within each fabrication facility in the production of these millions of figures but if some are indeed exclusie to some production areas I'd definitely like to match them correctly).

I've checked my loose Ree-Yees figures. My Taiwan figure has a weapon identicle to the one on the left of your first photo (we can call this V4). My two Hong Kong figures have V1 weapons. Your other example is a V2. The only difference between the V1 & V2 is which side of the barrel the mold circle is located.

Hopefully some moc owners will be able to chime in and confirm whether these are the correct pairings.

Perhaps you might like to post your Ree-Yees rifle comparrison pics here for inclusion on the guide: https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4994-tig-main-site-wwwimperialgunnerycom-back-in-action-new-weapons-accessories-added-contributions-still-needed-track-the-updates-here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-05

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 4:59 pm

@cantina_patron wrote:
@DenGrimmeRaeber wrote:
@cantina_patron wrote:
I'll have to unpack my examples, but with regards to your Ree-Yees rifles it may be that one came with the Hong Kong variant & the other with the Taiwan version. The molding of my repro matches the rifle on the right (in your first picture) but the repro lacks the mold circle & it is definately painted.

That'd be awesome if you'd take time to do that. If there are country specific casting methods I'd definitely want to know of that. (I actually also have two otherwise identical Han Solo Carbonite pieces except for the mold crates being on one on the right side and the other having them on the left side. I realize that possibly many molds existed within each fabrication facility in the production of these millions of figures but if some are indeed exclusie to some production areas I'd definitely like to match them correctly).

I've checked my loose Ree-Yees figures. My Taiwan figure has a weapon identicle to the one on the left of your first photo (we can call this V4). My two Hong Kong figures have V1 weapons. Your other example is a V2. The only difference between the V1 & V2 is which side of the barrel the mold circle is located.

Hopefully some moc owners will be able to chime in and confirm whether these are the correct pairings.

Perhaps you might like to post your Ree-Yees rifle comparrison pics here for inclusion on the guide: https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4994-tig-main-site-wwwimperialgunnerycom-back-in-action-new-weapons-accessories-added-contributions-still-needed-track-the-updates-here Very Happy

That is a great thread and it seems like some of those coming soon... entries in the faq are indeed coming soon, excellent!

Obviously any of the pictures in the set I uploaded are free to be used on this forum or on the main site but I don't know however that I would find it appropriate to submit pictures of items of which I have no knowledge, for use in the faq. Those pictures aren't really worth much in that context without correct information and as good as I've tried to keep my figures together with the equipment I got them with, my collection is still picked from where ever I could find stuff so for the most part I have no knowledge of the parts prior to my ownership.

But I sure am interested now in finding out where that version belongs, thanks for having a look through your stash!
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-05

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:22 pm

@aussiejames wrote:
Madine staff: https://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4779-the-official-fotw-thread-general-madine#
both yours float?

I'm gonna push this again. I still don't really understand what identifies the repro except for the, on the picture, obvious lesser production quality. The two versions I have looks fairly spot on the version 1 and 2 in the pics in the thread but then it also looks like the repro was probably done on a version 2 and both looks to be somewhat translucent. So basically, it seems, it comes down to the quality of the production and as a difference in quality is not anything I have noticed I wouldn't be way off assuming that both my staffs most likely are original?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Posts : 7732
Join date : 2009-11-12
Age : 47
Location : Western Australia

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm still 'working' on the general madine staff:
request for variations/ repro's identification Sdc12348
is there a size difference with yours?
Back to top Go down
DenGrimmeRaeber
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
DenGrimmeRaeber

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-05

request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Sure, I know the building of the FAQ is an ongoing process and I truly appreciate the efforts that have gone into that project.

I've taken another three photos of the staffs from other angels (unfortunately it got dark before I got time for it and they are not super sharp).
One staff is most definitely longer, with a distinctly bigger head than the other and the rings on the handle are placed lower.

The smaller staff is opaque and has a slightly blue tint to it, where as the larger staff is more translucent and with a slightly yellow or pink tint (depends somewhat of the lighting). That is pretty much impossible to see on the pics taken after dark but on the first three uploads it is noticeable. I was hoping to get a clear pic of the seams on the side of the staff but I think even in daylight, with my camera, it won't be possible to capture it properly. I'll have to see if I can borrow a better camera for this. The bigger staff have some dirt buried on the top of the head, it seems to be halfway buried in the seam. The other cast is spotlessly clean.

The bigger staff also seems to have a slightly thicker handle, though almost unnoticeable. The properties of the plastic seems to be pretty much the same, both staffs bend safely to about the same degree.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84235436@N03/sets/72157630959626370/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




request for variations/ repro's identification Empty
PostSubject: Re: request for variations/ repro's identification   request for variations/ repro's identification I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 

request for variations/ repro's identification

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-