The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comSearchRegisterLog in

How to evaluate loose figures.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
el rey
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
el rey

How to evaluate loose figures.  Empty
PostSubject: How to evaluate loose figures.    How to evaluate loose figures.  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 5:28 am

I did a quick search on the forum, but couldn’t seem to find a thread on the subject. So here goes. Smile

I know how to evaluate a complete figure at around C8-9. But how do other factors come into play when evaluating loose figures. Like missing a weapon, a cape, loose legs, 1 loose arm, all limb loose etc. I know some weapons is more expensive than others, like black palace blaster. But is there some kind rule of thumb?

Let say we have a Boba Fett, complete and it is worth 22$
What would it be worth without a weapon?
What would I be worth without weapon and all loose limbs?

I would like to see examples of other figures too, like if you have recently sold an incomplete or loose figure.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate loose figures.    How to evaluate loose figures.  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 6:03 am

I am not a seller but from a buyers point of view there are far too many variables to have a rule of thumb for valuations. Also the sum of the parts is never equal to the value of a complete figure. Some 'flaws' are more significant for different people. Some MOC collectors for example consider a clear bubble the most important thing, others like an offerless no price sticker card.... I might pay 'full' value for a figure that is complete with excellent paint but loose arms, others may think that is worse than incomplete ( you may always be able to complete a figure but you can not fix limbs/paint)

Using your example
Let say we have a Boba Fett, complete and it is worth 22$
What would it be worth without a weapon?
What would I be worth without weapon and all loose limbs?

If the imperial blaster is V5 to me the Fett is only $5 of the $22. Fett being a main character if loose limbs is it's only problem value may not be affected.

If you are mostly concerned about selling and making best dollar ( which everyone is entitled to) Describe items well , use lots of good pictures, start prices high. If nothing sells you know you are way off Wink
Back to top Go down
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate loose figures.    How to evaluate loose figures.  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi,

It's a good question, and one that is difficult to answer with any authority. I think James gets the main point across that different things are more important to different people -- therefore affecting the prices.

In my experience from what I've seen, a complete fully kitted out figure obviously costs the most, but sold in separate pieces the weapons and accessories go for just as much as the figure itself, almost like a 50/50 split.

In theory, AFA graded pieces are probably the closest thing to a "commodity" in this hobby. For example, when there are two AFA 80 items for sale of the same figure, there is no good reason why the price should differ at all. But quite often it does. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it seemed relevant to the discussion to support the idea that anything goes really!  Smile
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate loose figures.    How to evaluate loose figures.  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 9:24 pm

This is always a tough one to answer that is for sure, Another thing people don't take in is if your selling online or only around where you live, For example if I sell on ebay then I have pretty much the whole world of collectors so putting a complete 90 grade figure for $50 would most likely sell, If I am sell just in my city the same figure I may only get $30 as there are very few collectors here.

I do agree with jared007 about AfA graded figs if the grade is all the same then why would the prices be so far off at times.

I also do what AJ said I price them high one people like to talk you down so if you want to get say $20 for your fig as $40 OBO it works. I will say the one thing that ticks me off the most about selling anything either online or in the city is when people say "I can get it on ebay for this much" Gods I hate that so much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate loose figures.    How to evaluate loose figures.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to evaluate loose figures.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-